FPGA, SoC, And CPLD Boards And Kits
FPGA Evaluation and Development Kits
5915 Discussions

Programming Cyclone II and IV using FT232H

atech10
Beginner

Hello,

I have made PCB module using FT232H, and trying to program Altera Cyclone II and Cyclone IV using UrJTAG.

Initially both devices were not detecting so I tried with BSDL files still devices were  not detecting. 

While testing Cyclone II, there was a message "TDO seems to be stuck at 1", but all connections are in well manner on hardware (not shorted to another pin). I was checking voltage levels of TCK, TDI, TDO and TMS. But when I connect DMM +ve port to TCK pin and common  to ground Cyclone II started detecting. On all Voltage levels of DMM it get detected. This happens only for TCK pin.

Why this is happening?

I also tried to programming Xilinx Spartan 3, Spartan 6 devices it detects and programs successfully without any additional thing like connecting DMM.

Comment on this.  

0 Kudos
2 Replies
YuanLi_S_Intel
Employee

Hi,

Apologize that our official method to program Intel PSG FPGA is using USB Blaster II and Quartus Programmer. We do not really sure with FT232H approach.

Perhaps you may check on the pin connection guideline for pin related such as TCK, TDO, TDI for hardware connection guidelines.

https://www.intel.com/content/dam/www/programmable/us/en/pdfs/literature/dp/cyclone-iv/pcg-01008.pdf

Thank You.

Bruce

0 Kudos
atech10
Beginner

1) You should actually apologize for trying to sell a minor product; namely USB blaster II & not trying hard enough to sell Altera FPGAs ! 

2) You need not worry about FT232H approach, Since we are buying it, its our worry. Their IC programming Xilinx ICs then why not Altera?

0 Kudos