FPGA, SoC, And CPLD Boards And Kits
FPGA Evaluation and Development Kits
5930 Discussions

Read HW Timestamp from Intel I210

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hello,

We are using Linux Ubuntu System that has Intel I210 Ethernet Controller. We are interested in reading the HW PTP Tx timestamps from the internal registers. Please guide us to do so. If any more details required, please feel free to ask.

Thanks.

0 Kudos
8 Replies
Mike_Intel

Hello AravindSubbiah,

Thank you for posting in Intel Ethernet Communities. 

Before we proceed, let me check if you are building or designing a board/system with embedded i210 network card.

If you have questions, please let us know. In case we do not hear from you, we will make a follow up after 3 workings days. Thank you.

Best regards,

Michael L.

Intel® Customer Support Technician

0 Kudos
Anonymous
Not applicable

We are using a Linux System with PTP time synchronisation to FPGA connected over a local network.

Linux<----->Switch<----->FPGA

Linux has the Intel I210 controller.
We can get sync to happen fine but we require the HW timestamp to be availabe on host(Linux) for control. 

Is there any prebuilt tools or scripts available to get this done quicker?

Thanks.

0 Kudos
Mike_Intel

Hello AravindSubbiah,

Since your issue is regarding FPGA , we need to route this thread to the correct group so you will be better assisted by the proper team.

Please wait for their reply within 1 to 2 business days.

Thank you.

Best regards,

Michael L.

0 Kudos
Mike_Intel

Hello AravindSubbiah,

By the way, before we do that. Let me check the host system. Can you also provide the following details.

1. Are you using onboard i210 network card?
  2. What is the brand and model of your board or system?
  3. Can you provide the link of your latest driver?
  4. What is the exact version of your Linux Ubuntu OS?

If you have questions, please let us know. In case we do not hear from you, we will make a follow up after 3 workings days. Thank you.

Thank you.

Best regards,

Michael L.

0 Kudos
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi Michael,

1. No, we are not using an on board card.

2. This is the device we are using: I210

3. Driver info:
driver: igb
version: 5.4.0-k
firmware-version: 3.25, 0x800006eb
expansion-rom-version:
bus-info: 0000:06:00.0
supports-statistics: yes
supports-test: yes
supports-eeprom-access: yes
supports-register-dump: yes
supports-priv-flags: yes

4. Linux: Ubuntu 16.04.7 LTS

Since we were able to access Linux system time, we tried phc2sys which is supposed to synchronize Linux system time according to HW clock on network card. We are not able to get the system clock to get synchronized.

Let us know if any other info is required.

Thanks, 

Aravind Subbiah

0 Kudos
Mike_Intel

Hello AravindSubbiah,

Thank you for the update. For us to further check your inquiry, we still need to gather more details. Please provide the following:

1. Can you provide photos of the i210 on both sides of the card for us to validate it.
  2. Please help generate the SSU of your system for us to check your hardware. Kindly download the utility here:

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/download/18895/intel-system-support-utility-for-the-linux-operating-system.html?wapkw=ssu

Thank you.

Best regards,

Michael L.

0 Kudos
Mike_Intel

Hello AravindSubbiah,

I hope this message finds you well. I am just making a follow up on the information that we requested below.

1. Can you provide photos of the i210 on both sides of the card for us to validate it.
  2. Please help generate the SSU of your system for us to check your hardware. Kindly download the utility here:

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/download/18895/intel-system-support-utility-for-the-linux-operating-system.html?wapkw=ssu

Thank you.

Best regards,

Michael L.

0 Kudos
Mike_Intel

Hello AravindSubbiah,

I hope this message finds you well. I am just sending another follow up on the information that I requested. Since we have not heard back from you, I need to close this inquiry. 

If you need further assistance, please post a new question. 

Thank you and stay safe.

Best regards,

Michael L.

0 Kudos