FPGA, SoC, And CPLD Boards And Kits
FPGA Evaluation and Development Kits
5931 Discussions

Technology Map Viewer Post-Fitting signal names

BMart12
New Contributor I

Hello,

I am using the SignalTap II logic analyzer on Quartus Prime Version : 18.1.1 Build 646 04/11/2019 SJ Standard Edition.  I am tracing logic in the Cyclone V SOC to debug a memory-mapped slave interface using the post-fit map viewer.  I want to know what the tilde (~) signifies in a signal name.  As an example, I have a problem with the decoding of the addresses instantiated in the slave interface.  I want to trigger on either slave_reg_read or slave_reg_write.  The map shows two signals that I interpret are for slave_reg_read: m0_read and m0_read~0.  The LA trace shows that m0_read is active low and m0_read~0.  The two signals are in sync.  So does the tilde indicate not m0_read?

For slave_reg_write the map shows two signals: m0_write~[0..1].  The LA trace shows that m0_write~1 is active low and m0_write~0 is active high, with both signals in sync.  Does the tilde before the [0..1] indicate something?

Thank you in advance.

0 Kudos
1 Solution
sstrell
Honored Contributor III

Names can get distorted through the place and route process.  The ~ does not necessarily mean anything other than the name of a signal changed or a new internal signal was created through this process.  If you know the signals you want to tap from your design itself, use the Signal Tap pre-synthesis Node Finder filter instead of post-fit nodes you find in the Tech Map Viewer.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
sstrell
Honored Contributor III

Names can get distorted through the place and route process.  The ~ does not necessarily mean anything other than the name of a signal changed or a new internal signal was created through this process.  If you know the signals you want to tap from your design itself, use the Signal Tap pre-synthesis Node Finder filter instead of post-fit nodes you find in the Tech Map Viewer.

0 Kudos
YEan
Employee

Hi there,

Do you have any update on your problem?

Thank you.

Regards,

Ean

0 Kudos
YEan
Employee

Hi,

I’m think that your issue has been resolved by sstrell.
I'll now transition this thread to community support.
If you have a new question, feel free to open a new thread to get the support from Intel experts.

Thank you.

Best regards,

Ean

0 Kudos
BMart12
New Contributor I

I apologize for the delay in my response.  I missed sstrell's response.  I accepted his suggestion.

0 Kudos