FPGA, SoC, And CPLD Boards And Kits
FPGA Evaluation and Development Kits
5892 Discussions

cvo not outputting separate syncs

gweitzman
Beginner

Hi I am new to this site.  I have a cyclone V and am trying to drive both a LCD and VGA using the CVO out.  I have set the CVO to separate syncs.  The LCD (640x480) kind of works, DE signal to LCD sync structure is incorrect and the separate H and Vsync outputs are inactive.

Is there anything in the CV GUI that could keep separate sync option off?

Thanks.

0 Kudos
7 Replies
CheePin_C_Intel
Employee

Hi,

As I understand it, you have some inquiries related to the CV CVO with separate sync. To facilitate further debugging, just would like to check with you on the following:

1. Just wonder if you have had a chance to try with Modelsim simulation to see if can replicate similar observation? This could help to isolate any functional issue prior to hardware testing.
  2. To ease the debugging, I would recommend you to start with simple design ie TPG -> CVO in simulation.
  3. What is the Quartus version that you are using?

Please let me know if there is any concern. Thank you.

0 Kudos
gweitzman
Beginner

Hi,

where can I find an example of TPG->CVO to simulate?

0 Kudos
CheePin_C_Intel
Employee

Hi,

Regarding your inquiry on the simulation example, for your information, you can create a simple Qsys system with TPG -> CVO with your targeted configuration. Then go to Generate -> Generate Testbench System. You can then further customize the test bench ie connecting the clocks according and the run through Modelsim simulation.

0 Kudos
gweitzman
Beginner

Hi,

I am almost there.  Generated the TB and successfully compiled but couldn't   simulate.

here are some of the errors:

vsim work.TPG_CVO
# Start time: 14:02:16 on Oct 16,2020
# Loading work.TPG_CVO
# Loading work.TPG_CVO_alt_vip_cl_tpg_0
# ** Error: (vsim-3033) C:/NDT/520/FPGA/TPG_CVO/TPG_CVO/synthesis/submodules/TPG_CVO_alt_vip_cl_tpg_0.v(72): Instantiation of 'alt_vip_video_output_bridge' failed. The design unit was not found.
# Time: 0 ps Iteration: 0 Instance: /TPG_CVO/alt_vip_cl_tpg_0 File: C:/NDT/520/FPGA/TPG_CVO/TPG_CVO/synthesis/submodules/TPG_CVO_alt_vip_cl_tpg_0.v
# Searched libraries:
# C:/NDT/520/FPGA/TPG_CVO/simulation/modelsim/rtl_work
# Loading sv_std.std
# Loading work.TPG_CVO_alt_vip_cl_tpg_0_scheduler
# ** Error: (vsim-3033) C:/NDT/520/FPGA/TPG_CVO/TPG_CVO/synthesis/submodules/TPG_CVO_alt_vip_cl_tpg_0_scheduler.sv(75): Instantiation of 'alt_vip_tpg_multi_scheduler' failed. The design unit was not found.
# Time: 0 ps Iteration: 0 Instance: /TPG_CVO/alt_vip_cl_tpg_0/scheduler File: C:/NDT/520/FPGA/TPG_CVO/TPG_CVO/synthesis/submodules/TPG_CVO_alt_vip_cl_tpg_0_scheduler.sv
# Searched libraries:
# ** Error: (vsim-3033) C:/NDT/520/FPGA/TPG_CVO/TPG_CVO/synthesis/submodules/TPG_CVO_alt_vip_cl_tpg_0.v(124): Instantiation of 'alt_vip_tpg_bars_alg_core' failed. The design unit was not found.
# Time: 0 ps Iteration: 0 Instance: /TPG_CVO/alt_vip_cl_tpg_0 File: C:/NDT/520/FPGA/TPG_CVO/TPG_CVO/synthesis/submodules/TPG_CVO_alt_vip_cl_tpg_0.v
# Searched libraries:
# Loading work.alt_vipitc131_IS2Vid
# Loading work.alt_vipitc131_common_sync
# Loading work.alt_vipitc131_common_trigger_sync
# Loading work.alt_vipitc131_IS2Vid_control
# Loading work.alt_vipitc131_IS2Vid_mode_banks
# Loading work.alt_vipitc131_IS2Vid_calculate_mode
# Loading work.alt_vipitc131_common_generic_count
# Loading work.alt_vipitc131_common_fifo
# Loading work.alt_vipitc131_IS2Vid_statemachine
# Error loading design
# End time: 14:02:16 on Oct 16,2020, Elapsed time: 0:00:00
# Errors: 3, Warnings: 0
vsim work.TPG_CVO_tb
# vsim work.TPG_CVO_tb
# Start time: 14:03:09 on Oct 16,2020
# Loading work.TPG_CVO_tb
# Loading work.TPG_CVO
# Loading work.TPG_CVO_alt_vip_cl_tpg_0
# ** Error: (vsim-3033) C:/NDT/520/FPGA/TPG_CVO/TPG_CVO/synthesis/submodules/TPG_CVO_alt_vip_cl_tpg_0.v(72): Instantiation of 'alt_vip_video_output_bridge' failed. The design unit was not found.
# Time: 0 ps Iteration: 0 Instance: /TPG_CVO_tb/tpg_cvo_inst/alt_vip_cl_tpg_0 File: C:/NDT/520/FPGA/TPG_CVO/TPG_CVO/synthesis/submodules/TPG_CVO_alt_vip_cl_tpg_0.v
# Searched libraries:
# Loading sv_std.std
# Loading work.TPG_CVO_alt_vip_cl_tpg_0_scheduler
# ** Error: (vsim-3033) C:/NDT/520/FPGA/TPG_CVO/TPG_CVO/synthesis/submodules/TPG_CVO_alt_vip_cl_tpg_0_scheduler.sv(75): Instantiation of 'alt_vip_tpg_multi_scheduler' failed. The design unit was not found.
# Time: 0 ps Iteration: 0 Instance: /TPG_CVO_tb/tpg_cvo_inst/alt_vip_cl_tpg_0/scheduler File: C:/NDT/520/FPGA/TPG_CVO/TPG_CVO/synthesis/submodules/TPG_CVO_alt_vip_cl_tpg_0_scheduler.sv
# Searched libraries:
# ** Error: (vsim-3033) C:/NDT/520/FPGA/TPG_CVO/TPG_CVO/synthesis/submodules/TPG_CVO_alt_vip_cl_tpg_0.v(124): Instantiation of 'alt_vip_tpg_bars_alg_core' failed. The design unit was not found.
# Time: 0 ps Iteration: 0 Instance: /TPG_CVO_tb/tpg_cvo_inst/alt_vip_cl_tpg_0 File: C:/NDT/520/FPGA/TPG_CVO/TPG_CVO/synthesis/submodules/TPG_CVO_alt_vip_cl_tpg_0.v
# Searched libraries:
# Loading work.alt_vipitc131_IS2Vid
# Loading work.alt_vipitc131_common_sync
# Loading work.alt_vipitc131_common_trigger_sync
# Loading work.alt_vipitc131_IS2Vid_control
# Loading work.alt_vipitc131_IS2Vid_mode_banks
# Loading work.alt_vipitc131_IS2Vid_calculate_mode
# Loading work.alt_vipitc131_common_generic_count
# Loading work.alt_vipitc131_common_fifo
# Loading work.alt_vipitc131_IS2Vid_statemachine
# ** Error: (vsim-3033) C:/NDT/520/FPGA/TPG_CVO/simulation/modelsim/rtl_work/TPG_CVO_tb.v(81): Instantiation of 'altera_avalon_st_sink_bfm' failed. The design unit was not found.
# Time: 0 ps Iteration: 0 Instance: /TPG_CVO_tb File: C:/NDT/520/FPGA/TPG_CVO/simulation/modelsim/rtl_work/TPG_CVO_tb.v
# Searched libraries:
# ** Error: (vsim-3033) C:/NDT/520/FPGA/TPG_CVO/simulation/modelsim/rtl_work/TPG_CVO_tb.v(97): Instantiation of 'altera_avalon_clock_source' failed. The design unit was not found.
# Time: 0 ps Iteration: 0 Instance: /TPG_CVO_tb File: C:/NDT/520/FPGA/TPG_CVO/simulation/modelsim/rtl_work/TPG_CVO_tb.v
# Searched libraries:
# ** Error: (vsim-3033) C:/NDT/520/FPGA/TPG_CVO/simulation/modelsim/rtl_work/TPG_CVO_tb.v(104): Instantiation of 'altera_avalon_reset_source' failed. The design unit was not found.
# Searched libraries:
# ** Error: (vsim-3033) C:/NDT/520/FPGA/TPG_CVO/simulation/modelsim/rtl_work/TPG_CVO_tb.v(109): Instantiation of 'altera_conduit_bfm' failed. The design unit was not found.
# Searched libraries:
# ** Error: (vsim-3033) C:/NDT/520/FPGA/TPG_CVO/simulation/modelsim/rtl_work/TPG_CVO_tb.v(136): Instantiation of 'altera_avalon_st_source_bfm' failed. The design unit was not found.
# Searched libraries:
# ** Error: (vsim-3033) C:/NDT/520/FPGA/TPG_CVO/simulation/modelsim/rtl_work/TPG_CVO_tb.v(152): Instantiation of 'altera_avalon_clock_source' failed. The design unit was not found.
# Searched libraries:
# ** Error: (vsim-3033) C:/NDT/520/FPGA/TPG_CVO/simulation/modelsim/rtl_work/TPG_CVO_tb.v(159): Instantiation of 'altera_avalon_reset_source' failed. The design unit was not found.
# Searched libraries:
# ** Error: (vsim-3033) C:/NDT/520/FPGA/TPG_CVO/simulation/modelsim/rtl_work/TPG_CVO_tb.v(167): Instantiation of 'altera_avalon_clock_source' failed. The design unit was not found.
# Searched libraries:
# ** Error: (vsim-3033) C:/NDT/520/FPGA/TPG_CVO/simulation/modelsim/rtl_work/TPG_CVO_tb.v(174): Instantiation of 'altera_avalon_reset_source' failed. The design unit was not found.
# Searched libraries:
# Error loading design
# End time: 14:03:09 on Oct 16,2020, Elapsed time: 0:00:00
# Errors: 12, Warnings: 0

0 Kudos
gweitzman
Beginner

Hi,

Still having problems.  Tried to simulate and here is the latest error list.

0 Kudos
gweitzman
Beginner

any idea where i can find a working example of TPG->CVO for 18.1 lite or std?

0 Kudos
CheePin_C_Intel
Employee

Hi, For your information, I do not have specific example design in CV for TPG -> CVO in Q18.1. However, I have attached an A10 simulation example previously from wiki. You can try to refer to it to see if it is helpful. You can run the simulation in Modelsim by doing the following:

1. Change directory to sim/mentor

2. source msim_setup.tcl

3. Type "ld"

4. Type "do wave.do"

5. Type "run -all"

0 Kudos