Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
21068 Discussions

A770 Driver installer would not start

RigoLigo
Beginner

This is originally a post on Intel Insiders Community Discord server and I turned to this site because I have received absolutely zero support from there.

Original message on April 11:

Intel Graphics Driver has never worked on my machine. First time I tried installing the driver (4146) after purchasing A770, the EXE installer will fail silently. Previous graphics drivers were all cleared with DDU at least twice. I somehow hacked around it with ZIP package, that was a month ago. 4148 Beta driver wouldn't install too, I didn't mind that.

Today 4255 update was detected and I went to download it. Now that ZIP package is no longer provided so I has to download EXE installer. This time the installer will show the "extracting" dialog but will still silently fail. The "Compatibility helper" dialog even popped up to make sure I'm not running some obsolete program that isn't compatible.

I tried extracting the EXE to somewhere and start it manually since it appears to be a 7zip self extracting archive, but that didn't help at all.

There's absolutely no IntelGFX.log or similar things appeared, I've confirmed this with Process Monitor and Everything so I have no idea what's going on.

CPU: i9 13900KF
MB: ASUS TUF Gaming B660M
GPU: Intel Arc A770 LE (16GB)

Update May 15:

4314, still not working. C'mon Intel, what the heck is wrong with installing drivers?

RigoLigo_0-1684089984275.png

Resizable BAR is enabled.

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
20 Replies
Carlos_L_Intel
Employee

Hi @RigoLigo,

Thank you for posting on the Intel® communities. I'm sorry for the inconvenience this might have caused you. The installer is working fine as far as we know, is the same everyone is using. Please help me with the following information in order to assist you:

Best regards,

Carlos L.
Intel Customer Support Technician.

0 Kudos
RigoLigo
Beginner

The installer has likely never worked correctly on my PC. And no, there's no recent changes other than installing A770.

The drivers are downloaded directly from official Intel website.

Some additional context here:

When I first bought the card, the driver is still at version 4146. But by then the installer does two things: it leaves log files, and it was provided in both EXE and ZIP. By digging the logs, I found the following:

RigoLigo_1-1684257305289.png

Then I manually attempted accessing the directory, Windows will say I don't have the permissions needed to open it but I can get the required permission permanently by clicking continue, so I did. Then inside that directory there's installer's executable. I ran it, and it started. This is how I initially worked around this issue. At that time it seems the installer is 1.0.737.

RigoLigo_2-1684257436262.png

The next update was 4148 and that didn't work on the first go, and I didn't bother updating it.

Currently Intel Graphics driver installers are only provided in EXE (although I can manually extract it since it's likely a 7zip self extractor), and doesn't seem to leave logs where it once did. I don't know why this move is considered necessary because a technical user like me can actually make use of them (when things did go wrong in a way nobody expected).

At last I installed the driver in Device Manager. I cleared all of the potential leftovers with DDU first. Right click Microsoft Basic Display Adapter, go to properties, Update driver, then manually choose the extracted EXE. Windows will eventually detect where the driver is and installed the driver for me. Games, DirectML and Video codecs are all working after I installed the driver this way, but this doesn't mean that the installer does not need a fix.

RigoLigo_3-1684257883656.png

Because there are no logs whatsoever, I probably can't provide more information other than the above. I'm happy to continue diagnosing this issue with you.

0 Kudos
Carlos_L_Intel
Employee

Hi @RigoLigo,

Thank you for helping me with all this valuable information. I would like you to help me with the first post you made, there is a screenshot with an error, can you please tell me what it says, this is to continue with my research. 

Best regards,

Carlos L.

0 Kudos
RigoLigo
Beginner

That is Windows' Program Compatibility window, which usually pops up when Windows observed some incompatible program exited abnormally.

"Program may be installed incorrectly"

"If the program is not correctly installed, you can try installing it with compatibility options."

With Process Monitor I can observe WerFault.exe being called after the extraction is done which can reveal some details: the installer outright crashed.

RigoLigo_0-1684346719070.png

0 Kudos
RigoLigo
Beginner

Oh and I should add that 4369 update's installer package didn't work too,  and it will pop the same Compatibility Options dialog too. The last picture was captured with Process Monitor, driver 4369.  I'll attach Process Monitor's details here (but I only filtered out gfx_win_101.4369.exe and WerFault.exe's activities). I also found a minidump which I suspect is from the Intel Graphics driver installer and I'll attach it here too. Hope this will help.

0 Kudos
Carlos_L_Intel
Employee

Hi @RigoLigo,

Thank you for the information. Have you tried reinstalling your operating system? I believe this has to do with your OS more than the installer itself. It has been working fine, I even tried the latest 4369 in my personal computer and it worked fine. 

Best regards, 

Carlos L.  

0 Kudos
RigoLigo
Beginner
I got tons of development environment on my PC so I normally wouldn't reinstall it without the OS having major disfunctions. Evicting Intel graphics card would be much easier. But I wouldn't wanna do that for now.

OS itself is just totally normal Windows 11 22H2 with absolutely no third party mods. I have had an old AMD + NVIDIA card setup (Sapphire RX Vega56 + GIGABYTE GTX 1050Ti) on this machine and even that worked fine. Drivers didn't explode, installer is far from possibly being buggy.

I also program and debug my own stuff and "works on my side" isn't a defense, I believe you technicians at Intel know this too. If I can possibly know what's wrong I'm sure I can be of help, but now we don't even have the right to have logs.
0 Kudos
Carlos_L_Intel
Employee

Hi @RigoLigo,

Thank you for your reply. I completely undertand your point, let me check this internally and I will post back with more information

Best regards, 

Carlos L.  

0 Kudos
Carlos_L_Intel
Employee

Hi @RigoLigo,

Thank you for your reply. I completely understand your point, let me check this internally and I will post back with more information

Best regards, 

Carlos L.  

0 Kudos
Jean_Intel
Employee

Hello RigoLigo,

We appreciate your patience.

After reviewing this matter, we are considering that this issue could be related to the Operating System since we have not received other reports similar to your problem.

However, we want to recommend you delete all possible temp files from this location: ''C:\Users\[Username]\AppData\Local\Temp\'' Note: some files can't be deleted since they are in use by other programs. It is ok to skip those.

In case the issue is still present, then we suggest you a fresh install of your Operating System, as we previously recommended.

Best regards

Jean O. 

Intel Customer Support Technician

0 Kudos
Jean_Intel
Employee

Hello RigoLigo,

We hope you are doing fine.

Were you able to check the previous post?

Let us know if you still need assistance.

Best regards, 

Jean O.  

0 Kudos
RigoLigo
Beginner

Sorry for the late reply, been busy recently. Unfortunately clearing Appdata\Local\Temp would not help.

0 Kudos
Jean_Intel
Employee

Hello RigoLigo,

Since the issue persists after clearing Appdata\Local\Temp, it can isolate the problem to be related to the Operating System (OS). We recommend you perform a fresh Operating System installation. You should take a look at this article with recommendations and steps on how to clean install your OS; however, if you still have questions about the process, you should contact Microsoft for further details.

Best regards

Jean O.

0 Kudos
Jean_Intel
Employee

Hello RigoLigo,

Best regards, 

Jean O.  

0 Kudos
RigoLigo
Beginner

It wouldn't be practical to reinstall my OS for the time being. I have a workaround and everything else works so I have no reason to do so. So probably this problem is going nowhere...

0 Kudos
Jean_Intel
Employee

Hello RigoLigo,

Let us further research this problem internally. We will post back as soon as we have more details.

Best regards

Jean O.

0 Kudos
Jean_Intel
Employee

Hello RigoLigo,

Thanks for the information provided.

An additional suggestion would be to use the "have-disk" installation method. This involves extracting the driver files from the .exe with a third-party tool, such as the 7zip app. Once you have the files extracted, proceed to manually update the driver in Device Manager, bypassing any potential conflicts with the installer or operating system.

Best regards,

Jean O. 

0 Kudos
Jean_Intel
Employee

Hello RigoLigo,

Best regards, 

Jean O.  

0 Kudos
Jean_Intel
Employee

Hello RigoLigo,

We have not heard back from you. So we will close this thread. If you need any additional information, submit a new question, as this thread will no longer be monitored.

Best regards.

Jean O. 

0 Kudos
RigoLigo
Beginner

I've been busy doing other things and the GPU driver hasn't seen an update so this thread is not active. Today Intel's DSA popped a message told me 4502 driver has dropped so I went to download it. It fortunately brought back installer logs so I can see the exact reason why installer is failing:

2023/06/24 18:14:16.446|INFO|Non-Interactive mode flag: False ||
2023/06/24 18:14:16.446|INFO|Setting admin access rights - Directory: C:\Users\RigoLigo\AppData\Local\Temp\.net\Installer\a793gHkOaV8AZdB2TVk95sCr01OTtkM=\. ||
2023/06/24 18:14:16.446|ERROR|Something went wrong while setting write access rule for administrator only. Directory name = "C:\Users\RigoLigo\AppData\Local\Temp\.net\Installer\a793gHkOaV8AZdB2TVk95sCr01OTtkM=\"..
Details: System.InvalidOperationException: This access control list is not in canonical form and therefore cannot be modified.
   at System.Security.AccessControl.CommonAcl.ThrowIfNotCanonical()
   at System.Security.AccessControl.CommonAcl.RemoveQualifiedAces(SecurityIdentifier sid, AceQualifier qualifier, Int32 accessMask, AceFlags flags, Boolean saclSemantics, ObjectAceFlags objectFlags, Guid objectType, Guid inheritedObjectType)
   at System.Security.AccessControl.DiscretionaryAcl.RemoveAccess(AccessControlType accessType, SecurityIdentifier sid, Int32 accessMask, InheritanceFlags inheritanceFlags, PropagationFlags propagationFlags)
   at System.Security.AccessControl.CommonObjectSecurity.ModifyAccess(AccessControlModification modification, AccessRule rule, Boolean& modified)
   at System.Security.AccessControl.CommonObjectSecurity.RemoveAccessRule(AccessRule rule)
   at Installer.Core.Services.Security.FileSystemAccessSecurityServices.DirectoryAccessSecurityService.SetSafeAccessRules(DirectoryInfo directoryInfo)
   at Installer.Core.Services.Security.FileSystemAccessSecurityServices.DirectoryAccessSecurityService.SetSafeRulesForDirectory(String directoryName). ||
2023/06/24 18:14:16.446|INFO|Setting admin access rights - FAILED ||
2023/06/24 18:14:16.452|INFO|Closing the user interface window. ||

With proper exception details now I can finally start doing something useful. Through Googling I found this thread which described an exact same case as mine:

https://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/b1c97e5c-10fb-48dc-9f88-9848e386c17b/the-access-control-list-is-not-in-canonical-form?forum=iiswebapplicationgallerydevsandints

When I open the attributes of this directory I get the exact same "permissions are incorrectly ordered" message.

RigoLigo_0-1687602817029.png

As suggested by the thread I found, I checked the parent directory's permissions, and at last I found out why: My AppData/Local/Temp has got an incorrect ACL for some reason, and was apparently not correctly inheriting ACL from AppData/Local, and contains invalid SID (which displays as NULL SID).

RigoLigo_2-1687602958955.png

So I went to enable the inheritance (to fix everything had been there) and deleted every invalid ACL entry.

RigoLigo_3-1687603733427.png

Now the driver installer would finally happily launch. I don't know if the logs were added back because of my issue but still: LOGS DO HELP. Thanks to whoever reenabled installer logs, added the stacktrace and details and helped me fix this issue.

RigoLigo_5-1687603892806.png

0 Kudos