Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20493 Discussions

Can not set up 3 monitors with Intel HD Graphics 4000

bkim21
Beginner

I am using these in Windows 7.

- DELL Latitude E6430 laptop (Intel Core i5-3320M CPU + Intel HD Graphics 4000)

- DELL Port Replicator which has 2 Display Ports + 2 DVI ports + 1 VGA port

- 2 External Monitors ( Lenovo ThinkVision T2424p )

I am using only Intel HD Graphics 4000 (v 10.18.10.4176)

I'm trying to set up 3 monitors ( 2 External monitors + 1 Built in Laptop Monitor (Connector Type : LVDS) )

I connected 2 external monitors (Lenovo ThinkVision T2424p ) using 2 Display ports connectors with DELL Port Replicator.

There are only 2 monitors enabled in 'Intel Graphics Control Panel'.

But I can not set up 3 monitors.

I attached my screenshots and 'dxdiag' output.

I can see 3 monitors in Windows 7 Control Panel -> Display Configuration.

But I can enable only 2 monitors of them.

I can not enable 3 monitors simultaneously.

Please help me with this problem.

I really want to set up 3 monitors.

I bought monitors and display cables in order to set up 3 monitors based on the url here.

http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/graphics-drivers/000005556.html?wapkw=3-displays Configuration 3 Displays FAQ for Graphics Drivers

http://www.dell.com/support/article/us/en/04/SLN115952/en How to configure three (3) displays on a Dell Latitude Portable with Intel HD 4x00 Graphics | Dell US

Please help me.

0 Kudos
12 Replies
Amy_C_Intel
Employee

Hello bokim,

3 display configuration requires your computer to have 1 Display port or 1 embedded display port as minimum requirement. I see the docking station or port replicator is providing you with 1 display port, please bear in mind that docking station and port replicators are considered video adapters therefore, the multimonitor functionality might be affected.

Regards.

bkim21
Beginner

Hello,

First of all, thanks for your help.

Can you do me a favor ?

Can I ask some questions ?

I'm using 'DELL E/Port Plus for E Family'.

The port replicator has 2 display ports, 2 DVIs, 1VGA.

And I got an answer from DELL.

DELL support team said it supports 3 monitors (1 built-in + 2 external).

But you said, " I see the docking station or port replicator is providing

you with 1 display port ..."

1. Do you mean there's a problem with the port replicator ?

2. Can you tell me what it's based on ?

Is it based on the output of 'DxDiag.txt' file ?

If you provide the proof of port replicator problem, I can trasfer it to DELL support team.

Thanks

0 Kudos
Amy_C_Intel
Employee

1. Not really, the port replicator seems fine, I mean the video port configuration.

2. In order to make the Intel graphics controller work with a 3 display configuration your computer (laptop) requires to have 1 Display port or 1 embedded display port as minimum requirement, which is something that your computer does not have according to its specifications, http://www.dell.com/downloads/global/products/latit/dell_latitude_e6430_spec_sheet.pdf http://www.dell.com/downloads/global/products/latit/dell_latitude_e6430_spec_sheet.pdf, the port replicator is replicating something that is not in your computer therefore there is not 3 display configuration.

Regards.

0 Kudos
bkim21
Beginner

I had a phone call with one of DELL engineers.

He confirmed serial numbers of my laptop and port replicator.

He said that the DELL Latitude E6430 laptop + E plus port replicator (which I have) supports 3 monitors.

Is there any way to check if there's a problem with Intel HD Graphics 4000 driver ?

Thanks

0 Kudos
Amy_C_Intel
Employee

There is no problem with the driver, liked mentioned before in order to make the Intel graphics controller work with a 3 display configuration your computer (laptop) requires to have 1 Display port or 1 embedded display port as minimum requirement, please note the picture below;

For further reference http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/graphics-drivers/000005556.html?wapkw=3-displays Configuration 3 Displays FAQ for Graphics Drivers.

Regards.

0 Kudos
vladimirkap
Beginner

I have same problem with My Fujitsu  E752.
One external monitor is connected to VGA, another to DP over the DP2HDMI cable.
Intel drivers for  4000 does see all 3 monitors but works only with any 2 of them. W7 or W10 does not matter.

Ancient driver or the most recent- same.

At the mean time if I  boot  Linux Mint on the same Laptops and same dock station all 3 monitors do work from the beginning without any additional settings. Conclusion - it is Intel driver fault.

0 Kudos
bkim21
Beginner

You are totally wrong.

The root cause was in the Intel HD Graphics 4000 driver.

Finally I solved the 3 monitors issue myself.

Now I am able to see 3 monitors.

Solution

-------------

- downgrade the Intel HD Graphics 4000 driver. (10.18.10.4176 -> 9.17.10.3040)

- set the 'Active Display' as '3' in 'Intel Graphics and Media Control' -> 'Multiple Display'.

Happy New Year !

0 Kudos
Muratdede
Beginner

I wish you wrote it on your link my friend, I have the same problem.

0 Kudos
Amy_C_Intel
Employee

I am glad to hear that you were able to resolve your issue. Your feedback is important to us and I thank you for taking the time to share your outcome.

Regards,

Amy.

0 Kudos
JMano1
Beginner

Hi are you going to fix this problem?

I was using driver version 9.17.10.3040 with 3 monitors (Built In Display & 2 X Display Port).

I updated the driver to 10.18.10.4176 and I only have the option to output to 2 monitors at the same time.

3 Monitors are detected but one has to be disabled at any one time.

Please look into this problem, we can't use the latest drivers because of this issue. @Amy_Intel

0 Kudos
Amy_C_Intel
Employee

Hello, alexjaya:

Please create a new thread, fill out the following form and post it on the new thread, follow my instructions closely so we can isolate your case.

Regards,

0 Kudos
n_scott_pearson
Super User

He did. I answered there.

...S

0 Kudos