Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20495 Discussions

Does Intel ever plan to address this?

BHarr8
Valued Contributor I

New Arc/Xe drivers, cool, lets install them.

new.jpg

Microsoft says "oh hell no, use these drivers ...... from 2020".

old.jpg

Whatever process Microsoft uses to determine if it should overwrite graphics drives does absolutely nothing to verify dates and signatures. If Microsoft sees graphics drivers it does not know of, it removes them and installs very old ones.

Microsoft is making Arc and Xe look bad because they are actively removing fixes and as far as I can tell, Intel is 100% OK with this.

And to make this 100% clear if it isn't already, I don't need support because I can deal with this easily on my own. I am reporting this on the behalf of all of the people impacted by this that don't have a clue that this happens every time they attempt to upgrade to a new Arc/Xe driver build.

0 Kudos
6 Replies
MUC
Valued Contributor II

Same here !

0 Kudos
texen
Beginner

When you do a clean intel graphics  driver install,  Windows will come along later and update it to an older driver.

If you need to do a clean install eventually always follow up with normal install/update to prevent this

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000056993/graphics.html

0 Kudos
texen
Beginner

ok the link seems to be broken now .. but it basically says when you do a clean install that wipes out a 'store' that Windows uses to do the correct update

0 Kudos
BHarr8
Valued Contributor I

Its far more complicated than that. If you use the "clean install" option, MS will ALWAYS remove the new drivers and replace them with older ones.

If you DON'T use clean install, MS will remove the new drivers once but after a 2nd regular install of the new drivers, MS will no longer remove them.

I'm not mentioning the "just install them twice method" because the average user wont ever see this post. MS and Intel need to come up with a solution whereby new signed Intel GFX drivers are left alone, even if MS does not know of them.

For the record, I never use the clean install option since all that does is set up an endless battle with Windows Updates.

0 Kudos
Jocelyn_Intel

Hello, @BHarr8

Thank you for posting on the Intel® communities and for the feedback provided. 

Every comment and feedback is valued by us and they have been added to our records. 

Best regards,  

Jocelyn M.   

Intel Customer Support Technician. 

0 Kudos
BHarr8
Valued Contributor I

I installed Intel's beta drives for 11th gen Xe today and Windows updates removed them.

Intel® Arc™ & Iris® Xe Graphics - BETA - Windows*

0 Kudos