Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20494 Discussions

Does the UHD 620 No Longer Support 5120 x 1440?

JKozi
Beginner

Since the middle of last year I've been using my Lenovo X1 Carbon (6th Gen) to connect to my Dell U4919DW monitor via USB C. The native resolution of the monitor is 5120 x 1440, and the UHD 620 on my laptop apparently supports this resolution (https://www.dell.com/support/article/ca/en/cadhs1/sln314416/dell-u4919dw-system-requirements-and-supported-configuration?lang=en).

I have used the 5120 x 1440 resolution with no problem until this morning. When I got to my desk I noticed that the UHD 620 driver updated, and only allowed me to have a maximum resolution of 3840 X 1080 on USB C. Fortunately, I was able to roll-back the UHD 620 driver to a previous version, temporarily fixing my issue.

Does the UHD 620 no longer support 5120 x 1440, and if so, why not? I bought this monitor with the understanding that I could use it at its native resolution.

0 Kudos
27 Replies
AlHill
Super User

What is the model number of your processor?

Doc

0 Kudos
JKozi
Beginner

I have a i7-8650U CPU @ 1.90GHz.

0 Kudos
n_scott_pearson
Super User

Intel Customer Support will need to investigate this resolution issue.

...S

0 Kudos
Max44
Beginner

Most cards can support at least 4K 60Hz (3840x2160 = roughly 8.3m pixels). 5120x1440 = ~7.4m pixels

0 Kudos
AlHill
Super User

@Max44​ You do not understand the OPs question. What he is saying is that the older driver supported his monitor resolution and now the new driver does not. Adding to the confusion is that his processor supports, per this document, only 4096x2304.

https://ark.intel.com/content/www/us/en/ark/products/124968/intel-core-i7-8650u-processor-8m-cache-up-to-4-20-ghz.html

This is why ICS needs to investigate this.

Doc

0 Kudos
itsme
New Contributor I

the PSref document says that an X1 Carbon Gen 6 system supports a resolution of 5120x2880 at 60Hz via USB-C.

https://psref.lenovo.com/syspool/Sys/PDF/ThinkPad/ThinkPad_X1_Carbon_6th_Gen/ThinkPad_X1_Carbon_6th_Gen_Spec.PDF

have you tried to add 5120x1440 as a custon resolution via Intel's graphics control panel?

0 Kudos
AlHill
Super User

Ok, for the third time, Intel Customer Support (ICS) needs to investigate this.

Doc

0 Kudos
Alberto_R_Intel

JKozi, Thank you for posting in the Intel® Communities Support.

In reference to your inquiry, to provide the most accurate response, we will do further research on this matter, in order for us to be able to do that, please fill the information requested in the document you will find in the following link:

https://forums.intel.com/s/question/0D50P0000490AGdSAM/important-template-for-submitting-a-graphics-bug?language=en_US

Regards,

Alberto R.

Intel Customer Support Technician

A Contingent Worker at Intel

0 Kudos
Alberto_R_Intel

Hello JKozi, I just wanted to check if you saw the information posted previously and if you need further assistance on this matter?

Regards,

Alberto R.

0 Kudos
JoachimE
Beginner

Hi @AlbertR_Intel​ ,

i have the same problem with almost the same setup. Connected is a Dell XPS 9570​  with an Dell U4919DW via USB-C. I have added the requested document in the attachment. I hope this bug will be fixed soon.

0 Kudos
Alberto_R_Intel

Hi JoachimE, Please submit your inquiry on a new thread, the reason for this is that every scenario is different even if the same product is being used, so for us to better assist you and in order to try to fix the problem, please submit a new thread:

https://communities.intel.com/community/tech

Let me apologize for any inconvenience.

Regards,

Alberto R.

0 Kudos
Alberto_R_Intel

Hello JKoz, Since I have not heard back from you, we are closing the case, but if you have any additional questions, just reply back or post a new question.

Regards,

Alberto R.

0 Kudos
JKozi
Beginner

Apologies for not getting to this sooner. I have been working towards a deadline at work. I have attached what you have requested. Thank you!

0 Kudos
Alberto_R_Intel

Hi JKoz, No problem at all, thank you very much for providing the Graphics report.

We recommend to install the graphics driver provided by the manufacturer of the computer, since that driver was customized by them work with your specific platform.

I looked in Lenovo's web site and according to the information in their web site there is a new driver released recently on 27 Jan 2020, for testing purposes please test that driver and let us know the results, version 26.20.100.7528:

https://pcsupport.lenovo.com/us/en/products/laptops-and-netbooks/thinkpad-x-series-laptops/thinkpad-x1-carbon-6th-gen-type-20kh-20kg/downloads/driver-list/component?name=Display%20and%20Video%20Graphics

Regards,

Alberto R.

0 Kudos
JKozi
Beginner

Hi Alberto -- Just downloaded the 7528 graphics driver from Lenovo's website and got the same issue as before. The max resolution available to me with the 7528 driver is 3840x1080. I have rolled back to 6860 until a fix is identified.

0 Kudos
Alberto_R_Intel

Hi JKoz, Thank you very much for sharing those results.

We will do further research on this matter, as soon as I get any updates I will post all the details on this thread.

Any questions, please let me know.

Regards,

Alberto R.

0 Kudos
Alberto_R_Intel

Hello JKoz, I just received an update on this matter.

Just to let you know, when using USB Type C the video protocol used is DisplayPort, and as per ark, the maximum resolution supported via DP is 4096x2304@60Hz

https://ark.intel.com/content/www/us/en/ark/products/124968/intel-core-i7-8650u-processor-8m-cache-up-to-4-20-ghz.html

What this means is that the laptop manufacturer has implemented customizations in hardware that would need custom software for them to work properly. We suggest reporting this issue directly to your laptop manufacturer to get a new customized driver for your laptop.

Any questions, please let me know.

Regards,

Alberto R.

0 Kudos
NPowe7
Beginner

Hi Everybody, A very helpful person on Dell forum pointed me here.

I've just purchased a 32:9 5120x1440 Samsung monitor but I cant get my Dell XPS15 9560 to pick up this resolution via USB-C

Currently I stuck with 3840x1080 which I think is the same problem as others having.

My Intel Graphics Driver is 26.20.100.7755

Is there any news on a fix?

0 Kudos
n_scott_pearson
Super User

These are all good questions - for Dell to answer. It is their implementation that isn't working. Build 7755 is the latest available build of the driver.

...S

0 Kudos
NPowe7
Beginner

Fixed- in my case the latest intel driver on the dell web site works. It looks like the most recent intel graphics drivers are causing the problem

0 Kudos