Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20495 Discussions

Error 4101/LiveKernalEvent error with UHD Graphics 750

SouthFloridaRoadGeek

Hello, I recently built my first computer with an Intel i7-11700K. My computer would lag and then would show a black screen for two seconds and turn back on, however, my apps that I usually use will crash upon doing that. There is an attachment below showing the error

I have researched this issue online and it appears to be a problem with GPU Acceleration. I first noticed an issue with GPU acceleration when a bug with discord when GPU acceleration was enabled popped up. (See attachments below)

I have done everything, from memory checks, to GPU stress tests, rolling back to the older driver, nothing fixed it.

0 Kudos
11 Replies
AndrewG_Intel

Hello @SouthFloridaRoadGeek

Thank you for posting on the Intel® communities.

In regards to the error message "Display Driver Stopped Responding and Has Recovered" it is worth mentioning that in 2016, Intel released a Display driver containing a fix to address multiple causes of this error. For more details please review this article: Error Message: Display Driver Stopped Responding and Has Recovered.

Having said that, could you please provide us with more details so we can review this further:

1- Just to make sure, did the system work fine before, or are you experiencing this issue since the first day that you have the computer?

2- If this worked fine before at any moment, were there any recent hardware or software changes that might relate to the point when the issue started? (For instance, Windows®, driver, or software updates?). 

3- Does the behavior stop if you try with different display resolutions/refresh rates (perhaps lower ones)?

4- Is it only the apps that are crashing or is it Windows® also crashing? Do you see any Blue Screen of Death (BSOD) error messages? Do the apps show any error messages? Also, please provide examples of the apps experiencing this behavior:

5- Have you checked the cable connection of the monitor and the one connected to the system to ensure proper connection? Also, are you using a straight-through connection (e.g. HDMI-to-HDMI, DVI-to-DVI) with a single cable for each display? Or are you using any type of video adapters, converters, or dockings? Please provide details.

6- Have you tested using different cables or another monitor that is known to be working to exclude a monitor issue?

7- Run the Intel® System Support Utility (Intel® SSU) to gather more details about the system.

• Download the Intel® SSU and save the application on your computer
  • Open the application, check the "Everything" checkbox, and click "Scan" to see the system and device information. The Intel® SSU defaults to the "Summary View" on the output screen following the scan. Click the menu where it says "Summary" to change to "Detailed View".
  • To save your scan, click Next and click Save.
  • Once you have saved the file (.txt file), please attach it to your reply.

To upload and attach a file, use the "Drag and drop here or browse files to attach" option below the response textbox.

Best regards,

Andrew G.

Intel Customer Support Technician

0 Kudos
SouthFloridaRoadGeek

Sorry for the late reply, ive singled down the issue and here is the cause:

Windows update keeps installing drivers that weren't compatible with the Intel UHD graphics 750.

I used a Display Driver Uninstaller Utility and installed the newest drivers and everything went well for about a week. Until it happened again, and I went to check the driver version and it was back to the older version.

I've tried everything from disabling automatic driver updates to even editing the registry, nothing fixed it. It just keeps installing the older drivers.

Do you have any suggestions for me to disable automatic driver updates? for now I am forced to disable the windows update service.

0 Kudos
AndrewG_Intel

Hello SouthFloridaRoadGeek

Thank you for your response.

We understand that when installing the latest graphics drivers the system works fine; however, the issue comes back after Windows® Update pushes a driver rollback. Is this correct?

In regards to your questions and behavior about Windows* reinstalling an older driver, unfortunately, Intel® is not aware of the type of drivers and versions offered/pushed by Windows* Update Service and for proper information and steps in case you want to disable automatic driver updates our recommendation is to address this inquiry to Microsoft* Support since this is a functionality of the operating system (OS). (Also, a security concern might be involved in case this disables driver updates for all other components.)

With respect to this behavior, it is expected that the Windows* Update Service will "Update” a driver if it deems the driver to be "better" than the driver installed.

If the Windows Update driver has been customized by the Original Equipment Manufacturer (OEM), it will deem it to be better than a generic driver and install over it even if it's an older version. However, there is a mechanism built in which detects if that Windows Update driver has been installed previously or not. If it finds any remnants of the driver in the driver store, it will not reinstall the Windows Update driver.

If the OEM uploads another/different customized driver, Windows Update will install that driver. In that case, you will need to reinstall the latest generic driver and Windows Update should not reinstall it. For more details, you may review this article Windows* Update Reverting to an Older Graphics Driver.

If the issue persists, please provide us with the following information so we can check this further

1- The Intel® SSU report following the steps in our previous post.

2- What is the driver version that Windows Update Service is reinstalling?

Also, for reference purposes, what is the version of the "latest drivers" that you installed and seems to work fine? Did you download the drivers from your motherboard's website or from the Intel® Download Center?

3- Please provide examples of the apps experiencing crashes. Do the apps show any other error messages? What is the exact behavior?

Best regards,

Andrew G.

0 Kudos
SouthFloridaRoadGeek

My PC is custom built, is it MSI sending me these drivers? how would I be able to override OEM drivers.

I have done what was said in the article and the driver reinstall seems to be fine now, however I have no idea if its fixed or not.

As for what apps cause the crash, It happens randomly.

Here's the bucket ID if that would help: LKD_0x141_Tdr:6_IMAGE_igdkmdn64.sys_GEN12LP_DXCOMPUTE_BBHANG

If you could explain what that means and how it could be fixed then thank you.

0 Kudos
AndrewG_Intel

Thank you for your response.

Yes, even on custom-built systems, the motherboard manufacturers (OEM) usually have customized drivers that are available on their websites. It is supposed that Windows® works with OEMs to obtain customized drivers from the OEM to distribute them to computers using Windows® Update Service. However, we cannot confirm this is the actual behavior in this scenario, and the best thing to do would be to check it directly with Microsoft* Support or your OEM.

Also, we understand that you followed the article we recommended, and "the driver reinstall seems to be fine now", so we believe that you are now testing if this fixes the issue or not. Is this correct? In case of any new event, please don't hesitate to provide further details. If the issue persists, please kindly provide us with the answers to the questions in our previous post and the Intel® SSU report so we can check this further as well as your inquiry about the "bucket ID".

Best regards,

Andrew G.

0 Kudos
SouthFloridaRoadGeek

The problem still persists, I went to disable the TDR and I thought that fixed it until my driver just hanged and didn't reset, just stayed frozen, had to force shutdown the PC.

I do have the SSU which is provided below.

0 Kudos
AndrewG_Intel

Thank you for your response and for the report.

Based on the Intel® SSU report, we noticed that the system is currently running the previous Intel® generic graphics driver version 30.0.100.9684. In this case, we would like to recommend a clean installation of the graphics driver using the customized driver from MSI* to discard driver-related issues. Please follow these steps:

1- Download the latest MSI* driver from this link and save the file on the computer: Intel VGA Driver Version 27.20.100.9127.

2- Disconnect from the internet to make sure the driver will not be automatically updated by Windows.

3- Right-click the Windows Start button. Select Device Manager.

4- Expand the Display adapters section and look for the Intel Graphics entry in Device Manager (e.g.: Intel® UHD Graphics 750).

5- Right-click on Intel Graphics and click Uninstall.

6- In the device removal dialog box, check Delete the driver software for this device and click OK.

7- Restart the computer after the uninstallation is complete.

8- Open Device Manager once more.

9- Very Important: Expand the Display Adapter section again:

• If the graphics entry still displays Intel® UHD Graphics 75 or similar, repeat steps 5-7.
  • If the graphics entry displays Microsoft Basic Display Adapter, run the previously downloaded MSI* file to install the driver.

10- Reboot the computer when prompted.

If the original issue persists, please try installing the latest generic driver: Intel® Graphics DCH Driver Version 30.0.100.9805.

If further assistance is still required, please kindly provide us with details of the outcome and the following information:

A- A new complete/full Intel® SSU report making sure that the "Everything" checkbox is selected before running the report.

B-Report for Intel® Graphics Drivers following the steps on the link. 

C- Run the Intel® Processor Diagnostic Tool to verify that both the processor and the GPU (Graphics Processing Unite) are fine. To save the report, once the test is done, click on "File >> View Results File" and attach the .txt file to your reply.

Best regards,

Andrew G.

0 Kudos
SouthFloridaRoadGeek

Issues still appear on both drivers, I have saved a graphics report before and it said that no graphics driver was detected.

Heres a new graphics report below:

0 Kudos
AndrewG_Intel

Thank you for your response and for the report.

In order to avoid duplication of efforts, we noticed that you have contacted Intel® Customer Support through chat. Was this regarding the same inquiry/issue and the same environment that you have reported in this thread? If yes, could you please provide details? Was there any resolution or agreement during the interaction?

Best regards,

Andrew G.

0 Kudos
AndrewG_Intel

We are checking this thread and we would like to know if you need further assistance. If the answer is yes, we would like to inform you that we have released a new driver version. You may try the clean installation steps one more time using the Intel® Graphics DCH Driver Version 30.0.100.9864 (Latest).

Please do not hesitate to contact us back if you have additional inquiries.

Best regards,

Andrew G.

0 Kudos
AndrewG_Intel

We have not heard back from you so we will proceed to close this thread now. If you need any additional information, please submit a new question as this thread will no longer be monitored. It has been a pleasure to assist you.

Best regards,

Andrew G.

0 Kudos