Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20494 Discussions

Games that uses DirectX 12 forgets about shader caches

Xillvion
New Contributor I

I have this problem for 2 years on Fortnite DirectX 12 where the shader cache needs to be recompiled everytime I close and then relaunch the game. On Warframe, it's the same but not like Fortnite, it's more like some shader caches need to do that and not everything, but it still does do that sometimes. Both of them have DirectX 12 currently in beta.

Too much stuttering, also crashes when playing a video inside a game and corrupted shader caches.

Also does this on my previous Intel 10th gen Intel UHD graphics laptop.

Clean installing the graphics drivers didn't fix the issue.

0 Kudos
25 Replies
David_G_Intel

Hello Xillvion

Thank you for posting on the Intel️® communities. Please share with us the following information:

• Does this happen with OEM drivers?
  • What driver versions did you test?
  • Does this happen with DirectX* 11?

Regards, 

David G 

Intel Customer Support Technician 

0 Kudos
Xillvion
New Contributor I
  • Can't use OEM drivers, it will be very unstable.
  • On my previous Intel UHD Graphics laptop, from DCH version 26.20.100.7985 to the currently latest graphics driver on Intel Iris Xe Graphics.
  • Yes, but only happens to some newer graphics drivers, if you just don't update those, it will be fine.

For Warframe DirectX 12, it can actually cause the display to go out of sync if the game crashes. It will only happen if you shut down the system with Windows fast startup enabled, and then turning on the system and getting the game to crash, which I wasn't able to do so right now.

0 Kudos
David_G_Intel

Thank you for the update, we will investigate this request and we will post the updates on the thread.

Regards, 

David G 

0 Kudos
Xillvion
New Contributor I

I have a photo of the side effect of crashing in Warframe DirectX 12, do you want it?

0 Kudos
David_G_Intel

Yes, this will help us continue with the investigation. Thank you!

Regards, 

David G 

0 Kudos
Xillvion
New Contributor I

Link to photo: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Hcl6rlbhQyot73BJfUDMDdS4tdV8Nq9d/view (Download it for high-res)

That is what happened after screen recording with OBS Studio and visited WebGL Aquarium at the same time, after the game crashed. Look at the cursor, it's not low-res.

0 Kudos
Xillvion
New Contributor I

Actually, I'm unable to play Warframe DirectX 12 due to a memory leak on launch. There was a content update to the game yesterday, and one of the optimizations they listed is "Made DirectX 12 robust against content that could crash the driver."

Screenshot of error message and Task Manager:

Xillvion_0-1647575243869.png

0 Kudos
David_G_Intel

Thank you for the update, I will post the updates on the thread.

Regards, 

David G 

0 Kudos
Xillvion
New Contributor I

For Fortnite using DirectX 12, with the release of the new season, the game performance has become worse. But it will be fixed in a future game update, as what they said on their Trello page. It could affect the stability with the Intel graphics driver however.

0 Kudos
David_G_Intel

Thank you for letting us know Xillvion, we are still trying to replicate this issue.

Regards, 

David G 

0 Kudos
Xillvion
New Contributor I

Well, the game devs lied I think, because there was a update to Fortnite today. They said they fixed DirectX 12 having reduced performance, also other stability problems on DirectX 11, but it seems to be running even slightly worser now.

With the problem i'm having, it actually causes my Kingston NVME SSD, exclusive to some Acer Laptops, to overheat which in turn causes thermal throttling, resulting in freezing and stuttering, due to recompilation of the shader caches everytime.

Can I know if a Intel NUC hardware or a laptop is being used to replicate the same problem I have?

0 Kudos
Xillvion
New Contributor I

I clean installed the DCH graphics driver version 30.0.101.1631 and Fortnite is currently now unplayable on DirectX 12, DirectX 11 and Performance Mode due to crashes. You remembered that someone already reported issues relating to Performance Mode, right?

0 Kudos
David_G_Intel

@Xillvion once we finish the replication process we will provide the updates. While that is completed, it's recommended to report the new Fortnite issues to their support and the overheating issues to the OEMs. As mentioned in the previous thread, the DX12/DX11 stuttering and low FPS count are currently being worked on as well.

Regards, 

David G 

0 Kudos
David_G_Intel

Hello Xillvion 

We completed testing and were unable to reproduce this issue, the system had Iris Xe Graphics, Windows, driver 30.0.101.1660. and 16GB DDR4. Warframe on 720p ran steadily above 100fps, and in 1080p above 60fps.

Please try the latest driver 30.0.101.1660 and if it is necessary, check for 3rd party software that may be preventing the app from running correctly (antivirus, firewalls, or proprietary software installed by Dell).

Regards, 

David G 

0 Kudos
Xillvion
New Contributor I

I will need more time to go through this, but I already have Windows Defender and Firewall disabled. Why did you say about "proprietary software installed by Dell" even though i'm on a Acer laptop?

0 Kudos
David_G_Intel

Sorry for the misunderstanding, check proprietary software installed by the laptop manufacturer. Let us know once you try the steps.

Regards, 

David G 

0 Kudos
Xillvion
New Contributor I

I don't have any OEM software installed. How are you able to test Warframe DirectX 12 if it's crashing due to the memory leak on game startup? I think the 16GB RAM that's inside the test system is what stops the game from crashing.

Tried the latest graphics drivers, but it's the same problem. No frequent crashes at least.

Do you know any other free to play games using DirectX 12 (and Vulkan) that I can also test?

0 Kudos
Harryincorrect
New Contributor I

Oh I see, sorry for the late reply. Has your problem been fixed? Didn't see it in the notes.

0 Kudos
Xillvion
New Contributor I

@Harryincorrect No, it's just extremely poor support from both sides.

0 Kudos
Harryincorrect
New Contributor I

Ah I see. That one issue we faced in fortnite still persists. Such a shame that a billion dollar company like intel don't have the guts to fix such a small issue. If this is what support is here and then with all the lousy performance, I'll rather buy an amd or nvidia. Checked the release notes and seems like they're on the track of fixing games released in 2013 while a game with 300 million players out of which, it'd be safe to say atleast 20%, of intel gamers exist still hasn't been fixed, or worse, not even taken into account.

0 Kudos