Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20621 Discussions

HD 4400 latest driver issue-Fall Creator's Update

ASing45
Beginner

Hello everyone

I have noticed that the latest Intel HD Graphics 4400 drivers are not compatible with Windows 10 Build 1709. In games such as GTA San Andreas, COD:MW and others, the screen starts flickering violently if the VSync is OFF or FPS Limiter is off. As soon as you enable FPS Limiter or Vsync, the flickering is gone. Also, when the game bar pops up, the flickering is gone. No flickering is noticed during recording with WIndows DVR. I hope that this problem will be resolved soon with an updated driver version from Intel. I've tried re-installing WIndows 10 Fall Creator's Update from scratch but the problem still persists.

Thanks

0 Kudos
52 Replies
Cceza
Beginner

After update I can not connect to TV, it works with other devices (table, phone)...

I see the TV as wireless display but wen I try to connect I get Your display can not be connected.

0 Kudos
KGall2
Beginner

Also, for the record, I got the latest one (15.40.37.4835) and the issue is still not fixed...

Windows 10 v1709 Fall Creators Update x64

Intel Core i5-4210U

Intel HD 4400

0 Kudos
ASing45
Beginner

Any update guys? Almost 20 days.

0 Kudos
RonaldM_Intel

Hello everyone,

We have been able to reproduce this issue internally (other reports also include Team Fortress 2 as affected), thus we filed bug ID 1406460008.

Our development team will look at this and as soon as I have an update I'll post it here.

In the mean time, please try turning On the Vsync setting in-game as a temporary workaround.

Kindest Regards,

Ronald M.

0 Kudos
KGall2
Beginner

Thank you very much. I await a hotfix/update with very high hopes.

0 Kudos
FBirr
Novice

Hi Ronald_Intel,

Flicker issue has annoying Intel HD Graphics 4400 users from different vendors (Lenovo, HP, Sony, Dell, Asus, etc) for years.

Please it's now well documented (with workaround) waiting to be fixed in a new driver update from Intel.

/thread/122726 https://communities.intel.com/thread/122726

Count with you to push engineering team.

Best Regards,
0 Kudos
BWitt
Beginner

Intel, any update on this issue? This is absolutely absurd to be waiting over 6 months for a driver update. I would settle for a Beta a this point. The workarounds do not work in every case and should not have to be applied. If you are unable to support current Windows 10 builds, then you need to remove active support for Windows 10 from the HD 4400 driver page.

0 Kudos
KLee64
Beginner
0 Kudos
ASing45
Beginner

Any updates fellas?

0 Kudos
RonaldM_Intel

Hello Anmol_Singh

There has been internal progress on this one, i.e. debugging continues and we are testing different approaches to address the issue.

I'm a gamer too, and I know how frustrating it is when the games don't run properly. That is why I regret confirming that an update won't come out anytime soon, with the most conservative estimate being Q1 2018.

If there is any new development I'll be sure to post it here, in the meantime keep using Vsync On to prevent the flickering from occurring... only as a temporary workaround.

Thank you for your patience.

Best Regards,

Ronald M.

ASing45
Beginner

Thank you for your reply, Ronald.

My windows automatically got updated to Fall Creator's Update(duh.). So I tried the drivers that I originally got with the motherboard in the CD. This version of drivers didn't seem to have stuttering issues but it did have bad frames. When I pressed Win+g to pop up the game DVR thing, the Fps increased by atleast 30. If you can combine this and the latest drivers, maybe the things start working again?

Thanks

P.S: I am not trying to tell you guys how to do your job. Just trying to give my feedback eith different drivers.

Cheers!

0 Kudos
JAnde28
Beginner

Hello,

I have the same issue. My computer is a Dell inspiron 15 3542 from 2014, and was running Windows 10 Pro ver. 1709 with the latest intel graphics driver *[15.40]. I have also tired 15.36 and the "beta" driver for 15.40. All of which have graphical issues in general. I mostly notice this when using Autodesk Inventor when viewing models the shadows appear all grainy and often remind me of a dust cloud rather than a shadow. I was able to revert back to Windows 7 (as I take regular backups of the system) and the issue is not present using the windows 7/8.1 driver [15.36] on Windows 7 Pro.

0 Kudos
KGall2
Beginner

At this rate, I'm beginning to think Intel has phased out the HD 4400 and is no longer supporting it. It's only a thought, as it is April 9, 2018, when the latest driver update (which turned out to cause flickering on DirectX 9-based games with VSync switched off on Windows 10 Fall Creators Update) is November 6, 2017.

It is past the end of Q1 2018, and as what a dev said, would be the conservative estimation of the release of a fixed driver, and not even a word of update from Intel devs.

0 Kudos
RCoel4
Beginner

Bumping this, 6 months passed and already at the end of Q1, a bug like this should have already been fixed.

0 Kudos
KGall2
Beginner

Windows 10 version 1803, aka April 2018 update has been out. I'll test with the new drivers and see if this bug still exists. Pretty sure it will.

P.S. Yep the flickering still exists. However I did preliminary testing with Windows 10 reinstalling my old HD 4400 drivers last updated by Hewlett & Packard (my laptop's manufacturer), and the flickering problem went away. The latest version provided by my manufacturer (HP) is very old, 10.18.15.4248, 6/29/2015.

0 Kudos
KGall2
Beginner

Windows 10 Home x64 ver. 1803 with latest drivers released last May 4, 2018 (20.19.15.4963). Flickering issue still present on DirectX 9 videogames.

Just letting you know.

0 Kudos
RCoel4
Beginner

Any update?

0 Kudos
HCors
Beginner

Yes, I too would like an update. Ronald_Intel, any updates?

0 Kudos
RonaldM_Intel

Hello everyone,

This bug is currently in our development queue. I recognize that it has taken quite some time, but I believe most of our resources have been focused on fixing the bugs on games running on newer platforms.

I'll push internally to raise its priority level and post an update or news as soon as possible.

Thank you for your patience.

Best Regards,

Ronald M.

0 Kudos
Bryce__Intel
Employee

Hello all,

We released a driver https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/28163 15.40.41.5058 and were unable to see the issue during testing. Could you update, retest, and confirm if you're still able to see this failing? Thanks.

.:Bryce:.

0 Kudos
egric
Beginner
0 Kudos