Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20598 Discussions

Hello! I have two monitors one of them plugged in my video card and the another one is plugged in my motherboard with vga cable. My intel hd graphics 630 is using 8gb ram (system shared) if i decrease the amount of shared memory it's slows down my pc?

BBenc2
Beginner

Or decreasing the shared memory is not necessary?

0 Kudos
1 Solution
Gh0stb1t
New Contributor I

For processor graphics on 5th generation Intel® Core™ processors and later the memory shared by the graphics is limited to one-half of the Total system memory and it is dinamically allocated by the operating system and you don´t have control of this. The OS determines how to allocate the memory based on tasks and workload. The system shared memory you are seeing is just information about the max memory you may use for graphics, it doesn´t mean it is exclusively reserved for the graphics and it cannot be used by other tasks. For more details check this:

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000020962/graphics-drivers.html

So there is not setting you can use that can impact system performance...

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 Replies
Gh0stb1t
New Contributor I

For processor graphics on 5th generation Intel® Core™ processors and later the memory shared by the graphics is limited to one-half of the Total system memory and it is dinamically allocated by the operating system and you don´t have control of this. The OS determines how to allocate the memory based on tasks and workload. The system shared memory you are seeing is just information about the max memory you may use for graphics, it doesn´t mean it is exclusively reserved for the graphics and it cannot be used by other tasks. For more details check this:

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000020962/graphics-drivers.html

So there is not setting you can use that can impact system performance...

0 Kudos
BBenc2
Beginner
0 Kudos