Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20598 Discussions

Help! I (sort of) locked myself out of the Intel Graphics Settings.

JChop1
Beginner

Win10, Intel HD 520, HP Pavilion laptop.

So here is my story. I got a new laptop, and I wanted to display it on my TV. Hooked it up, and it worked. Soon, though, I noticed that the TV was cutting off the edges of the screen. I went into the Intel Graphics Settings, and learned how to fix that. Then I discovered that a game would override the settings, and chop off the edges again. I shrugged and said nothings perfect.

Well, I found that it does matter. It's hard to click on buttons you can't see. So back into the Settings I went.

While changing this setting and that setting, my tv blanked, and a message "This TV does not support the output resolution" blah blah blah.

So I waited for the "Do you want to keep these settings?" message to time out, and everything to go back. It didn't.

So, to make my problem clear-

1.TV won't show laptop screen.

2. Can't see to fix settings.

3.Can't load the TV profile I made, unless it's plugged in, so I can't delete it. Back to 1.

I hope I made this clear.

Message was edited by: every_last_one

0 Kudos
13 Replies
idata
Employee

Hello every_last_one,

I understand you are no longer getting signal on the TV.

Let me apologize for any inconvenience this issue may be causing to you.

I would like you to try reinstalling the graphics driver. Please download this driver https://downloadmirror.intel.com/26836/eng/win64_154519.4678.zip https://downloadmirror.intel.com/26836/eng/win64_154519.4678.zip

As soon as the graphics driver has been downloaded on the keyboard press WinLogo key + r, then type in devmgmt.msc, double click on Display Adapters -> Intel HD Graphics -> Driver tab -> Uninstall -> Select the check box Delete the driver software for this device -> OK, restart the computer, and then reinstall the graphics driver with the steps that are on this YouTube video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S1KzoQDjMMY https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S1KzoQDjMMY

Let me know if issue persists or not.

Regards,

Fred D.
0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello every_last_one,

After reviewing this issue, I was wondering if you update the graphics drivers to the latest version fixed it. Please provide any feedback on this matter.

Thank you for your time.

Allan J.
0 Kudos
JChop1
Beginner

Sorry I took so long to reply, but my phone wouldn't let me post a reply.

I haven't tried any of the suggestions because--

1. System Restore doesn't work, due to the WindowsApps bug that windows 10 has, and my computer refuses to allow the fix, which is to rename the WindowsApps folder.

2. I haven't used the driver, because if I uninstall my current driver, and there's a problem, I won't be able to SysRestore back.

Also, my problem isn't that there isn't any signal, but that when I plug the laptop in it defaults to the settings for the TV, which is incompatible with the settings, which means that it doesn't show the screen, just (paraphrase)"The settings being sent are incompatible, please refer to the manual blah blah..."

I read something about being able to delete the profiles using the registry, is that possible and safe?

0 Kudos
Stefan3D
Honored Contributor II

every_last_one schrieb:

...I haven't tried any of the suggestions because--

1. System Restore doesn't work, due to the WindowsApps bug that windows 10 has, and my computer refuses to allow the fix, which is to rename the WindowsApps folder.

I read something about being able to delete the profiles using the registry, is that possible and safe?

I'm afraid the write protection on WindowsApps folder is not a bug, but an intentional security feature.

Install any other application that creates a system restore point, then you can fool around in registry and roll back if necessary.

0 Kudos
JChop1
Beginner

True, the write protection is purposeful, but the bug lies in that same protection causing a System Restore to fail. I can create a restore point easily, but trying to load one causes a last minute failure, resulting in no files being changed at all. So again, I can't roll back at all.

Nor can I load an exported registry.

Also, when I use my phone to try to reply, the reply button does absolutely nothing. It animates, but that's it. I posted the original question using my phone, so why does replying not work?

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello every_last_one,

In order to help you better I would like to gather more information about the configuration you have in the computer. Please attach to this thread the .txt file the Intel® System Support Utility will generate https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25293/Intel-System-Support-Utility https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25293/Intel-System-Support-Utility

To attach a file, you must click "Use Advanced Editor" on the upper right hand corner of the response box, then the "attach" option will appear on the bottom right hand corner of the response box.

Regards,

Fred D.
0 Kudos
JChop1
Beginner

Okay, I'll try that.

Also, something happened over the weekend! I was trying to figure something out, and found the alt-ctrl-f8 reset! I hooked it up to the tv, pressed the buttons, and behold, the screen showed on the TV and the laptop screen at the same time! Now, I thought I had it solved, but I discovered that while it will show on both screens at once (using win10 display settings), but If I try to change it to TV only, the incompatible settings message appears on the TV.

Before I discovered this, I deleted the profiles I had set up for the TV, so I don't think that's at fault...

Update tomorrow-

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello every_last_one,

Thanks for the additional information you are sharing with us.

As soon as you can attach the Intel® System Support Utility so I can provide further troubleshooting steps.

Regards,

Fred D.
0 Kudos
JChop1
Beginner

I did as you asked, and attached the files created by SSU. Since the issue only crops up when connected to the TV, I did one scan without being hooked to the TV, and one scan while unhooked, hope that helps.

EDIT>I attached it to the top post.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello every_last_one,

I just sent a private message to you. Please check your inbox.

Regards,

Fred D.
0 Kudos
JChop1
Beginner

Unfortunately, I don't have internet for my laptop at home.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello every_last_one,

What happens is that the only troubleshooting step I see left would be reinstalling the graphics driver with the steps I provided above, and if issue persists the best option would be reinstalling the operating system. Reinstalling Windows* should also take care of the problem you are having with Windows* System Restore.

I was looking for drivers on the HP* website for your computer, but they do not have Windows 10* drivers. Most likely HP* has not validated Windows 10* for that specific computer model.

Let me know if you have or not any other inquiry.

Regards,

Fred D.
0 Kudos