Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20493 Discussions

I have an Intel Graphics 4000 Graphics card for which I have sucessfully installed the latest Intel Graphics driver for Windows ver 15.3.3. Now every time I reboot my PC I get the message that the driver needs to be installed.

EScha8
Beginner

When I try to install the driver again as instructed I get the error that the install has failed. Clearly the driver has been installed, so why am I still getting messages that it needs to be installed? Also what benefits does this new driver provide?

0 Kudos
1 Solution
Wanner_G_Intel

Hello all,

We would like to jump in to provide further recommendations about the Intel® DSA issue you are experiencing. Please follow these steps:

• Run the Intel® Driver & Support Assistant Uninstaller Version: 20.1.5.6
  • Restart and run the latest Intel® Driver & Support Assistant tool version 20.4.17.5
  • Use different browsers: Chrome*, Firefox*, or Edge* (version 44.17763/18.17763 or newer) browsers.

Please let us know if the issue persists.

Wanner G.

Intel Customer Support Technician

View solution in original post

12 Replies
n_scott_pearson
Super User

@EScha8​,

I presume that it is Intel Driver and Support Assistant (IDSA) that is prompting you and that you mean 15.33 and "latest" is actually 15.33.50.5129. [Hint: Saying just "latest" is never acceptable; be specific and complete at all times!]

Check in the Apps & Features app and make sure that the 15.33.50.5129 driver package is the one installed. If it is not, uninstall whatever Intel Graphics driver package is installed, let it reboot and then install the 15.33.50.5129 driver package. Here is a link to the downloads page: https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/29473/Intel-Graphics-Driver-for-Windows-15-33-?product=81499. This page also includes or links to release notes for the package.

Hope this explains it,

...S

P.S. BTW, there is no "card" per se; the Intel HD Graphics 4000 engine is built into your processor and the motherboard provides the connector(s) for attaching monitor(s) to it.

0 Kudos
EScha8
Beginner
Hi Scott very many thanks for your assistance, it is certainly very much better than the drivel I got from the Intel Customer support line. I will give it a go and get back to you. Regards Ernest Schay
0 Kudos
EScha8
Beginner
Hi Scott I followed your instructions and removed the Graphics driver using the Device manager. I downloaded the driver version you listed below, and installed it. During and after the installation process the Version of the Graphics 4000 card driver that was installed is 10.18.10.5120 dated 21 Jan 2020. Is this now the correct "latest" driver, as when I use the Intel Driver and support assistant I still get the error "install failed to start". This assistant is still telling me that I don't have the latest driver, despite downloading and installing the driver you suggested. Do you have any other ideas how to stop the assistant from not recognising the driver? Also what benefits is this new driver supposed to impart. Many thanks Ernest Schay
0 Kudos
n_scott_pearson
Super User

Yes, this is the latest available for the 4000 engine.

Wanner replied (see bottom of conversation chain) with instructions on how to uninstall and then reinstall IDSA. You need to follow this, but I have a slight modification to the procedure:

1. Run the IDSA Uninstaller.
  2. Clear the cache of your browser.
  3. Run the IDSA installer.
  4. Run IDSA.

Hope this helps,

...S

0 Kudos
SJack2
New Contributor II

Clearing the cache of the browser is not required.

It is potentially a cause of upset for the user if the cache is cleared without them realising the consequences. Not all users are experience to know how to be selective enough (plus it is not a required step).

0 Kudos
SJack2
New Contributor II

Yes, this issue was replicated using the IDSA on a Lenovo B590 with HD4000 (GT2) with that same driver 15.33.50.5129

It's great that the IDSA is allowing reference drivers to install over the neglected OEM variants, but the installation issue was present on this machine as well.

@Ronald_Intel​ 

The driver is detecting the hardware and updates the driver version in Device Manager (persisting after reboot) however, IDSA still reports the older WU build (43xx something). On reboot IDSA still reports '1 Update Available' and the Intel installer launches. I tried removal, then uninstallation back to 'Microsoft Basic Display Adapter' and installing 5129 again but the situation persisted, so I reverted to the 43xx build again (and vowed to report it here 😉 )

Due to lockdown, this machine update was attempted via remote assistance therefore removing from the internet was not possible and the end user was not capable of running wushowhide.diagcab at the correct time to attempt a block on the inbox driver.

Hope this helps.

0 Kudos
Wanner_G_Intel

Hello all,

We would like to jump in to provide further recommendations about the Intel® DSA issue you are experiencing. Please follow these steps:

• Run the Intel® Driver & Support Assistant Uninstaller Version: 20.1.5.6
  • Restart and run the latest Intel® Driver & Support Assistant tool version 20.4.17.5
  • Use different browsers: Chrome*, Firefox*, or Edge* (version 44.17763/18.17763 or newer) browsers.

Please let us know if the issue persists.

Wanner G.

SJack2
New Contributor II

Updated a Gigabyte system GA-Z77-D3H with i5-3470 with HD2500 (GT1) without issue to build 5129. But it is in a system with a discrete adapter too (AMD Radeon RX480).

I will be attempting the Lenovo system in a few moments remotely, I am going to talk the user through the offline bits. Will update this post.

Edit: As expected, the driver is installing successfully, the error is with the IDSA. Using the removal tool link supplied earlier in the thread the prompt to the update the driver does not occur. Reinstalling the newest IDSA it may highlight the update available once, dismiss the notification and launching the tool displays all Intel software is up to date.

This was also a successful methodology on another Lenovo (V130-15IKB) with an Intel i5-7200U with Intel HD Graphics 620 (GT2).

0 Kudos
Wanner_G_Intel

Hello SJack2,

If we understood correctly, the issue was resolved. Could you please confirm this?

Wanner G.

0 Kudos
SJack2
New Contributor II

Yes, you understood correctly. Removing IDSA with the uninstall tool after the driver update then rebooting / reinstalling it, dismissing the one time notification, clears the error. The installer does not reappear repeatedly as previously.

0 Kudos
Wanner_G_Intel

Hello SJack2,

Thank you for your feedback. It is highly appreciated.

We are glad to know that the issue was resolved.

Hello EScha8,

Are you still experiencing this issue? Could you please provide us with an update?

Wanner G.

0 Kudos
Wanner_G_Intel

Hello EScha8,

If you need further assistance, please let us know. We will be glad to help you.

Wanner G.

0 Kudos