Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20493 Discussions

Intel DCH Graphics driver keeps resetting on i7-1165G7

magub_
Novice

Hi,

On windows 11, with i7-1165G7, I've been trying to upgrade to the latest DCH drivers (currently 31.0.101.3729), but after some time, the pc reverts to an older driver 31.0.1.3222. All WHILE I'M ACTIVELY USING MY PC without any prior notice. I'm using an external monitor, so this "random downgrade" always brings my computer to freeze and the cpu fan to skyrocket. I need to shut it down pressing the power button. Even after disconnecting the monitor, my laptop screen doesn't turn on.

When it restarts, the driver is 31.0.1.3222, and even if it works fine for most of the time, playback of videos on youtube or viewing an image with the Windows 11 app, will take more time to load, make the computer stutter and in the worst case freeze. Then the cycle repeats.

I've tried to uninstall all graphics drivers and installing .3413 driver. It all worked fine.

But then some time after I had turned on Wi Fi, as always while using it, the driver reverted back to .3222.

Could this be related to Intel Arc Control?

When my pc starts, it always (annoyingly) asks to give some kind of permissions to intel arc control. It seems now intel drivers can be upgraded directly throuch Arc Control. I used this feature once to install driver 31.0.101.3729. It all went fine, but there weren't any notifications of the driver having successfully installed, or asking to reboot. Opening the Arc Control app, the driver just listed as upgraded. Even that time, some time after rebooting, the driver changed.

For all previeous drivers, I used Intel driver & support assistant on Edge. 

I also recently upgraded to Windows 22H2 x64 (KB5019509). 

Laptop: Msi Prestige 14 Evo i7-1165G7-A11M

Monitor: LG 27UL500 4K@60 with DisplayPort-Thunderbolt 3 cable.

I've disabled auto driver updates with Arc Control, and will try reinstalling the drivers again (.3413). 

For future updates should I upgrade through Arc Control, or keep using  Intel driver & support assistant?

Is it possible/safe to uninstall Intel Arc Control completely?

Thanks in advance

0 Kudos
5 Replies
DeividA_Intel

Hello magub_,  

Thank you for posting on the Intel® communities. I am sorry to know that you are having issues with your Intel® Iris® Xe Graphics.

In this case, if you do not have an Arc device or use the Acr control for gaming, there is no need to use the tool. You can use the Intel® Driver & Support Assistant (Intel® DSA) to update your drivers.

However, the best action would be to use always the drivers from the laptop manufacturer since those are customized to work with the laptop. I recommend you get in contact with MSI to confirm if uninstalling the Acr Control app can affect the performance of their laptop.

Let me know if the issue continues after you disable the updates from the Arc Control app, you can also try to disable the Windows automatic updates

Regards,  

Deivid A.  

Intel Customer Support Technician  

magub_
Novice

Hello, thanks for the reply,

I've rolled back the latest Windows 11 quality update, uninstalled all graphics drivers again and reinstalled the latest driver (.3729). Then (before turning on Wi-Fi after the driver update, just to be sure) I disabled auto-start for Intel Arc Control, and through the app settings,  set "never check for driver updates". 

So far there haven't been any problems of the kind I described before, I'll keep you posted if something new happens. I will keep using Intel® Driver & Support Assistant (Intel® DSA) to update drivers.

Thank you very much.

0 Kudos
DeividA_Intel

Hello magub_, 

Thanks for the confirmation. I am glad to know that you have not experience any issues so far, plase keep me updated on the status of your unit.

Best regards, 

Deivid A.  

0 Kudos
DeividA_Intel

Hello magub_,  

I reviewed your post, please let me know if the issue was resolved, if not, do not hesitate, just reply back.

Regards,  

Deivid A.  

0 Kudos
DeividA_Intel

Hello magub_, 

I was checking your thread and see that we have not heard back from you.  

I’m going to close your post, but if you need further assistance, please do not hesitate to create a new thread. 

Regards,  

Deivid A.  

0 Kudos