Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20493 Discussions

Intel Extreme Graphics - 1440x900 on Windows 98?

idata
Employee

Hello. I'm using a HP-Compaq d530 Small Form Factor computer running Windows 98SE. It has the integrated "Intel Extreme Graphics 2" and i'm running the most updated drivers.

I'm trying to use a 19" Widescreen LG Flatron l196wtq monitor, which supports a maximum resolution of 1440x900. In Windows, I can select a resolution higher than that, but "Out Of Range" shows up (which is expected). There is no option for 1440x900, so I have to use 1600x900 which makes the text and icons in Windows look a little stretched.

I've read a bunch of threads with the same problem, but the official Intel patch driver does not support Windows 98, only Windows XP and newer. I found a utility called "Power Strip" which can change the resolution, but that doesn't seem to work. I'm using Windows 98 because the program that i'm running was specially designed for 95 and 98. Can anyone help?

0 Kudos
6 Replies
AlHill
Super User

I think you should consider yourself fortunate that you have it working at all.

You are not going to find support for W98, or the graphics you want.

You will likely have far more success trying to run W98 in a VM, I have VMs for W3.1, WXP, and DOS. They all work great on W7 as a virtual machine. I even did W98 for a test, and then discarded it. And, I only did these VMs for entertainment.

Regarding your app, if it has not been updated in 18 years, it is time to get rid of it. Or, get the sources and recompile it.

Doc

idata
Employee

Hello, thepatrickboots,

Bear in mind that your operating system is out of support, from our end it's difficult to troubleshoot a product out of support. So, my recommendation is to post in places like http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/f/9/windows-9598me/ Windows 95/98/ME Forum - BleepingComputer.com and http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/forum-48.html Windows 95/98/ME Forum. You might be able to get more feedback from peers experiencing similar issues.

Regards,

Amy.

idata
Employee

Thanks for both responding.

I shortly realized after that, yeah, I'm running *Windows 98*. Not a widely used OS and out of support for many products across many companies.

Because of the specified program a team and I are using, there is no way to upgrade the OS without administration(which hasn't been in perfect contact since the early 2000s), but the program gets updates through our network for specific Additions.

I did find a solution, but it would have me go into the registry and edit hex values and stuff I'm not really good at, so I (surprisingly quickly) found a compatible graphics card for 1440x900 with a Windows ME/98 patch.

If there is a way to mark this thread resolved, I'd like to know how or have a moderator mark it.

-Thepatrickboots

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

/thread/106985 thepatrickboots, I am glad to hear that you found a compatible graphics card.

I will mark your input as correct, this will close your thread.

Regards,

Amy.

0 Kudos
A29854
Beginner

If you are only using Windows 98SE because of compatibility issues with newer operating systems, you can run the program in compatibility mode on a newer OS. Just right-click on the desktop icon, choose "Properties," go to the Compatibility tab, check "Run this program in compatibility mode for," and from the drop-down menu, choose either Windows 95, or Windows 98/ME.

0 Kudos
AlHill
Super User

@A29854 You are responding to a 6-year old thread on a 24-year old OS.

Doc (not an Intel employee or contractor)
[Waiting for Windows 12]