Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20603 Discussions

Iris Xe graphics showing 6 bit, not 8 bit

Willw
Beginner

I have a new Surface Pro 8 that is connected to an external monitor.  When the computer is attached to the external display it only is showing 6-bit video and as such the image is very blotchy and banded.  I have installed the latest Intel Xe Graphics drivers as well as a previous version and neither had any improvement.

If I disable the Xe graphics in Device Manager the system goes back to the Microsoft Basic driver, and the color depths is showing 8-bit.  The monitor can display 10-bit, however the Intel Xe is only displaying 6-bit on the external display with no option to change.

The firmware is up to date and everything looks to be working correctly on the computer.  I have set Windows to be External Screen only.

I have tried the following Intel Xe drivers: 100.9864 and 101.1069 neither have fixed the issue.

The system is running Windows 11, I have attached the computer to an Apple XDR display and if I disable  the Intel graphics and just use the default Microsoft Graphics Driver it shows it is 8bit and the image looks correct, not banded.

0 Kudos
3 Replies
megan3000
Valued Contributor I

You need to make sure you are using the package driver from Microsoft... tablets and laptops are very customized devices... as well make sure the BIOS is up to date...

is this only on the external display? does the built-in show 8-bit color?

Megan

0 Kudos
UserXSamurai
Beginner

Did you ever find a solution for this? I am seeing the same problem even without an additional monitor connected.

0 Kudos
Willw
Beginner

Yes, when I was in the display and adapter settings I changed the refresh rate from 60hz to 59.9hz.  This then changed the display from 6bit to 8bit.  However, I do not have any brightness controls with the XDR screen so I might look at selling this screen for something more universal.

0 Kudos