Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20499 Discussions

Laptop. Cannot choose some 16:9 resolutions

fRED8
Novice

Hello,

I hope somebody is able to help me.

My Laptop: Gigabyte Aero 17 HDR KB

This laptop has a display with a resolution 3840x2160

The next 16:9 resolution I can choose is 2048x1152. There is no option for 2560x1440. Neither in Windows nor games. I can choose many 16:10 resolutions, but the I get black bars on the sides of my screen.

I´m not allowed to choose a custom resolution, it says it´s not supported on internal displays.

I tried different drivers, no changes.

Does anybody know how to fix this? 

0 Kudos
18 Replies
AlHill
Super User

So the Intel support engineers can have more information about your system, Download, run, and save the results of this utility as a text file:
https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25293/Intel-System-Support-Utility

Then ATTACH the text file using the instructions under the reply window ( Drag and drop here or browse files to attach ).

Doc (not an Intel employee or contractor)
[Windows 11 is the new Vista]

fRED8
Novice

Ok. Thank you

0 Kudos
n_scott_pearson
Super User

The embedded displays in laptops support only a specific set of resolutions. You cannot add resolutions to this set. If the resolution you want isn't supported, then your only recourse is to get a different laptop.

I would add that this is a question that you should have been asking Gigabyte. If there is any chance that this is a correctable error on their part, the only way to know is to talk to them.

...S

fRED8
Novice
Thanks for the answer. I'm trying to get in touch with gigabyte, but the service is still down after the attack.
I think it's weird that I'm offered 16:10 resolutions, but not the 16:9 which fit the display. I bought this laptop specifically for its awesome display. If I get a solution, I'll post it here.
0 Kudos
n_scott_pearson
Super User

Did you try generating a DXDIAG report and checking what formats and resolutions are supported?

...S

fRED8
Novice

I only see the current resolution in the report.

0 Kudos
DeividA_Intel

Hello fRED8,  

Thank you for posting on the Intel® communities.   

In order to better assist you, please provide the following:  

1. Provide the Report for Intel® Graphics Drivers: 

- https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000005848/graphics.html 

2. Did you receive any information from Gigabyte?

3. Have you tried version 30.0.100.9805?

- https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/download/19344/intel-graphics-windows-dch-drivers.html

4. You can find more information at the following link:

- https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000057537/graphics.html

Regards,    

Deivid A. 

Intel Customer Support Technician 

DeividA_Intel

Hello fRED8, 

Were you able to check the previous post and get the information requested? Please let me know if you need more assistance.   

Regards,  

Deivid A.  

fRED8
Novice

Hello Deivid,

sorry, I was offline for a few days.

1. Attached are two reports. The old one is before installing version 30.0.100.9805 and the new one is with version 30.0.100.9805.

2. I contacted Gigabyte on 16.August and received on 19. August their answer: They will check the case in the lab and contact me once they found a solution. So I´m still waiting. I´ll post their answer here once I receive it.

3. Just installed this version. Still the same resolutions.

I talked with a guy on reddit who has the same laptop model. He sent me a screenshot of his resolution options and 2560x1440 is available for him. 

Thank you 

0 Kudos
DeividA_Intel

Hello fRED8, 

In order to continue further, I would like to confirm the following:

1. Was the resolution 2560x1440 working before?

2. Have you tried with an external monitor?

3. Have you tried with Gigabyte drivers?

- https://www.gigabyte.com/Laptop/AERO-17-HDR--Intel-10th-Gen/support#support-dl-driver-vga

Regards,  

Deivid A.  

0 Kudos
fRED8
Novice

Hello Deivid,

1. I don´t think it ever worked before, but I can´t say for sure.

2. Yes. With external monitors and TVs I have all options.

3. I did. Same problem.

I think something is wrong with my system. Hopefully I can solve this without a clean windows installation. The screenshot shows an error for the intel gpu. 

0 Kudos
DeividA_Intel

Hello fRED8, 

Thank you for the information provided 

I will proceed to check the issue internally and post back soon with more details. 

Best regards, 

Deivid A.  

0 Kudos
DeividA_Intel

Hello fRED8, 

In order to help you further, I just want to confirm the following:

1. Can you disable the NVIDIA card? Maybe there is an option to do it from the BIOS.

2. Has you tried the resolutions from the Intel® Graphics Command Center?

3. Can you send the errors code in English?

4. When you installed the generic (Intel) and then the laptop manufacturer drivers again, did you perform a clean installation?

Regards,    

Deivid A. 

0 Kudos
DeividA_Intel

Hello fRED8, 

Were you able to check the previous post and get the information requested? Please let me know if you need more assistance.   

Regards,  

Deivid A.  

0 Kudos
fRED8
Novice

Hello Deivid,

thank you for your support.

I am  right now in a country with quite bad internet connection. 

1. As far as I know this is only possible with an unlocked bios. I didn´t do that due to warranty restrictions.

2. The Intel Control Room offers me the same resolutions as Windows offers me.

3. I´ll have to translate it myself, but I need a little bit of time. Will post them here by tomorrow or the next day.

4. I did. Removed the device in the device manager, uninstalled all Intel software. I tried this with and without restarting.

Thank you

Marko

0 Kudos
DeividA_Intel

Hello fRED8, 

Thank you for the information provided 

I will proceed to check the issue internally and post back soon with more details. 

Best regards, 

Deivid A.  

0 Kudos
DeividA_Intel

Hello fRED8, 

Based on the research, the embedded displays in laptops support only a specific set of resolutions, meaning that the laptop manufacture could have blocked some resolutions.

I recommend you to check with Gigabyte so they can explain their embedded panel capability and if it is safe to try custom resolutions.

Regards,  

Deivid A.  

0 Kudos
fRED8
Novice

Hello,

Gigabyte answered today. They say the restriction is based on the design of Intels 10th Gen processors. They say they forwarded this issue to Intel, but are not sure if Intel will solve this.

Best regards

Marko

0 Kudos