Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20907 Discussions

Lenovo Legion 9i problems with 31.0.101.5xxx drivers

mbze430
Novice

I just wanted to make a note for Intel that driver version 31.0.101.4972 was the last usable driver from Intel that works on the Lenovo Legion 9i laptop.

Anything that is 5xxx is broken, in the sense that the screen will not come back from a wake.

I have tested this by removing all Intel drivers using DDU.  Disconnect from the Internet and install 4146, 4887, 4953 and 4972.

I have also cleaned and installed Windows 11 using 5122 and still exhibit the same problem.  As soon as I remove 5122 from the clean install Windows and install 4972 the wake works perfectly.  I tried this method as well with 5074 and wake doesn't display a screen.

0 Kudos
12 Replies
Jose_Intel
Employee

Hello @mbze430

Thank you for posting on the Intel️® communities.

We sincerely regret you are experiencing issues with the newest drivers, we will be more than happy to assist you.

Please keep in mind that OEM drivers are handpicked and include customized features and solutions to platform-specific needs. Installing the Intel generic graphics drivers will overwrite your handpicked OEM graphics driver.

We highly recommend checking for matching OEM driver versions.

However, in order to have more information about your system, please download, install and run Intel® System Support Utility for Windows. Make sure you check “Everything” before you scan, then save the report and attach it to your response.

Then, please generate and attach the Report for Intel® Graphics Command Center

Best regards,

Jose B.

Intel Customer Support Technician

0 Kudos
mbze430
Novice

here are the two reports requested.

0 Kudos
mbze430
Novice

Did you want me to run Intel® System Support Utility for Windows with which drivers installed?

0 Kudos
Jose_Intel
Employee

Hello mbze430

Thank you for your reply.

Please use the OEM driver we recommend for generating both reports.

Best regards,

Jose B.

Intel Customer Support Technician

0 Kudos
Jocelyn_Intel
Employee

Hello, @mbze430

Thank you for the information provided. 

Have you performed a Clean installation of your graphics drivers, using the latest graphics driver(4577) from your System Manufacturer? Can you please confirm this?

Note: Make sure to check you have all the Windows updates before doing the driver installation. Also, make sure to do this step disconnected from the internet (wi-fi or wired connection) since Microsoft updates drivers automatically and prevents doing the clean installation successfully. 

Also, we suggest you a BIOS update to the latest version available (MHCN33WW).

Best regards,   

Jocelyn M.    

Intel Customer Support Technician.  

0 Kudos
mbze430
Novice

if you read through the thread I already said that any 4xxx that it works.  Anything above 5xxx is not working.

so your answer to your question for 4577, yes it does work.

0 Kudos
Jocelyn_Intel
Employee

Hello, @mbze430

Thank you for your confirmation on this.

This issue seems to be an OEM driver customization.

Following the thread of what was mentioned prior, we recommend using the driver software provided by your System Manufacturer to avoid potential installation incompatibilities. Intel supplies generic versions of Graphics Drivers for general purposes. Computer manufacturers might have changed the features, incorporated customizations, or made other changes to the graphics driver software or software packaging.

Best regards,   

Jocelyn M.    

Intel Customer Support Technician.  

0 Kudos
mbze430
Novice

Right, so this comes to the question why does the original 4146, and all the way up to 4972 works fine, but as soon as it goes to 5xxx it stops working.

4146 = OEM (works)

4887-4972 = Intel direct drivers (works)

0 Kudos
Jocelyn_Intel
Employee

Hello, @Pitx  

Thank you for your reply.  

I understand your point of view, but following the mentioned above, Intel drivers are generic, they might work fine in several systems, but not in others. You have an OEM system, which has customizations from your Manufacturer and the recommendation is always to use their driver software as it is customized for their systems, especially for laptops. 

This is also recommended in the Driver download website, in the Detailed Description Note.

Our recommendation for you is to use the driver software from your System Manufacturer that is suitable for your laptop, as generic drivers may present incompatibility since they are not customized for your system. 

Best regards,  

Jocelyn M.   

Intel Customer Support Technician. 

0 Kudos
mbze430
Novice
I also understand where you are coming from. But I still think this should be raise to the drivers engineers
0 Kudos
Jocelyn_Intel
Employee

Hello, @Pitx  

Thank you for your reply.  

We appreciate your concern on the matter and your feedback, however, we tried to replicate the issue and we had no problems with the screen from Sleep mode or wake issues.  

Once again, we encourage you to report generic driver issues that you have found that are not suitable for your customized system to your System Manufacturer

This thread will no longer be monitored, but if you need help with other issues or inquiries, feel free to reach out anytime and we will gladly assist you again. 

Best regards,  

Jocelyn M.   

Intel Customer Support Technician. 

0 Kudos
slash
Beginner

The same problem on my Razer Blade 15 Advanced Model (Mid 2021) - RZ09-0409. It has an i7-11800H and RTX 3080, running Windows 10 21h2.

4972 is the latest working version. Starting with 5074, the laptop's screen won't come back after the machine has been put to sleep mode. The latest version, 5085 released yesterday, has the same issue.

I have seen other people on reddit complaining about this issue on other Intel machines, such as GPD handhelds.

Intel, you cannot hide behind "we recommend using the OEM drivers" ideology. This is your component, you manufacture and sell it! Please, release a working driver for it!

In the meantime I have downgraded to 4972, but at the same time I have disabled the iGPU from BIOS (this laptop has a MUX switch allowing me to do so). Main reason being that I refuse to run an old driver, with an old Vulkan version.

0 Kudos