Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20896 Discussions

Multimonitor set up - Intel UHD Graphic 620

vrgdavid
Beginner

good Day.

I have a Lenovo laptop T480 connected to a docking station Lenovo type 40A9 via USB-C.
2 monitors are connected via Display ports to it.
I can use the 2 monitors + laptop screen in Extend display mode, no issue.
If I connect a third monitor on the Laptop HDMI port, the monitor 3 screen stays black. if I disconnect the USB C cable between docking station and laptop, the 3rd monitor is working. As soon as I reconnect the USB-C port, monitor 3 stops, and monitor 1 and 2 work.

Is there a way to get the 3 monitors working at the same time (in Extend display mode) ?

Thank you

0 Kudos
4 Replies
n_scott_pearson
Super User
Processors containing the UHD Graphics 620 engine support a maximum of three monitors. This means only two external monitors are possible - unless you boot up with the lid closed and thus disable the embedded monitor.
As an alternative, it is possible to add further monitor(s) via USB. USB-based graphics engines are approx. US$60. 4K capable versions are slightly more.
Hope this helps,
...S
0 Kudos
vrgdavid
Beginner

Hi Scott,

I tried "- unless you boot up with the lid closed and thus disable the embedded monitor.", but it didnt work.

Lid closed AND  disable the laptop screen, both options did not work.

will invest in USB graphic card I guess.

Thks

0 Kudos
vrgdavid
Beginner

Thks Scott,

I will try to disable it. USB-based graphoics is indeed a cheap option.

Thank you for sharing your knowledge.

0 Kudos
n_scott_pearson
Super User

Yea, the downside is that the USB engine will be busy and other USB devices may suffer some lag. There are also reports of USB activity causing issues for Bluetooth and 2.4GHz wireless communications. Still, if you need the additional monitors, this may be the only way.

...S

0 Kudos