Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20499 Discussions

Periodic system stutter apparently at kernel or bus level

SkyLeach
Beginner

System stutter every 8-10 seconds especially when under mild-heavy load of any kind.

Special notes that make this relevant:

1. I have used System Monitor with tons of options in order to dig deeper and deeper to identify what is going on.  Example(s) at end of this list.
  2. NOT CPU
  3. NOT Memory (64GB, neither swapping nor volume use)
  4. NOT GPU (happens under any kind of load, even self-created medium CPU threaded/process load)
  5. NOT I/O (Verified with disabled devices)
    1. incl disk (checked)
    2. incl loopback (checked)
    3. incl network (checekd)
    4. incl swap

The closest I've come to a root cause are here:

[I will have to recreate this, I apparently didn't save the snips - posting to save edit progress.  Will edit/update in 4-8h after meetings with re-created system monitor graphs showing subsystem periodicity spikes]

In attached files:

• largely_intel_issues_exported.xml: an XML export of windows event logs showing regular (10-12m interval) issues with IO and Block devices (Bluetooth, WLAN).
  • intel_ssu_scaninfo.txt: Intel System Scan Utilty hardware deviceid dump txt.
  • snaps of system monitor: coming soon.
0 Kudos
6 Replies
David_G_Intel

Hello SkyLeach

Thank you for posting on the Intel️® communities. From the SSU this seems to be related to the graphics driver, the report shows two versions installed (.9466 and .1340). Both of them are older versions of the Intel generic drivers, in a laptop like yours with Intel / NVIDIA graphics we recommend using the customized drivers that the system manufacturer provides. 

Please try a Clean Installation of Intel® Graphics Drivers in Windows* with the latest customized driver version 26.20.100.7642:

Let us know if you have any questions or if the issue persists. 

Regards, 

David G 

Intel Customer Support Technician 

0 Kudos
SkyLeach
Beginner

I am installing the manufacturer drivers linked and will update after testing.

0 Kudos
SkyLeach
Beginner

After installing the old drivers, I then continued experiencing issues.  As promised, I re-ran system monitor during the issues.  The spikes seemed to happen during each "peak cluster" event in this graph.  Not individual spikes of I/O but when multiple bluetooth-related drivers all seemed to want to do whatever they wake up and do all at the same time.  (EDIT: I noticed the screenshot shows the top of the charted information which included the browser.  The lines when clicked, however, are bluetooth services.  I will try to recap again.)

bluetooth_sysmon_spikes_Screenshot 2022-03-24 092403.png

In addition, I also did another system scan after downgrading the intel audio/video drivers.  See attachment.

0 Kudos
David_G_Intel

Thank you for the information SkyLeach. You can also test the latest driver available (30.0.101.1631) using the same method and let us know the outcome to continue the investigation.

Regards, 

David G 

0 Kudos
David_G_Intel

Let us know once you try the previous step.

Regards,  

David G.  

0 Kudos
David_G_Intel

We have not heard back from you, so we will close this thread. If you need any additional information, please submit a new question as this thread will no longer be monitored. 

Best regards,  

David G. 

0 Kudos