Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20493 Discussions

Problems connecting to a monitor - DESPERATE :(

Dell_User
Beginner

Hello everyone,

I've spent the last 5 hours trying to get my laptop to display in a monitor I just bought today. I now have a huge headache and I'm desperate.

Let me specify the hardware involved :

Laptop used : Dell Latitude E7440 on Windows 10 (the model is kinda old. I think they were produced in 2014, but still working amazing).

Monitor that I just bought today : Phillips 38E9 (model 38E9QJAB to be more precise). Its production date is like 2018-2019.

I'm trying to use an HDMI cable to connect my laptop and the monitor. But I keep getting the message on the monitor "No video input", and my laptop cannot detect the monitor either (no matter how I try). I tried updating all possible drivers, BIOS, etc. Everything is at the lastest version (according to the Dell update center, which scans all drivers and recommends newer version - that I already installed when prompted).

By the way, the graphics card on my laptop simply indicates : "Intel (R) HD Graphics family". I think that means there is no dedicated graphics card; only a chipset (?).

I want to mention that my brothers has 2 gaming laptops. One that is a couple years old but powerful, with an Intel graphics card (that is still kinda powerful for gaming), and a second laptop that is new and customized with two graphic cards : 1 Intel and 1 Nvidia GeForce RTX - one of the latest.

When we try to plug his old laptop (with only Intel) to the monitor, it's the same situation as my Dell E7440: Cannot detect; "no video input". However, when we plug his newest laptop (with the Nvidia GeForce), the monitor works just fine !! It detects the monitor and projects smoothly.

I should also mention that the monitor (Philips 328E9) has the FreeSync feature, which is AMD produced.

Is it possible that the "Intel HD Graphics Family" that I have on my laptop (which is not powerful by any means) is not compatible which this new Phillips screen ?? As I said, laptop must have been produced around 2014, while the Philips monitor, which is rather powerful (HD, Ultrawide, FreeSync, etc.) has been produced recently in 2018-2019.

It is indicated on the user manual that The Phillips LCD monitor is Plug-and-Play, and compatible with ALL PCs operating on Windows 7 / 8 / 10. According to just that specification, I don't see why my Dell E7440 on Windows 10 isn't working !

I've tried everything and I'm desperate at this points. Do you guys have any advice on how to get this working ?

Any answer is greatly appreciated ! Thank you
Ali

0 Kudos
1 Solution
n_scott_pearson
Super User

So two out of three laptops do not work with this monitor? That sounds like something is wrong in its configuration. For one, make sure that its FreeSync support is disabled.

...S

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
8 Replies
AlHill
Super User

Have you told the monitor to take HDMI as an input?

I have an E7470 (though I do not tell people that I have a Dell).  It works fine with external monitors.

Doc

0 Kudos
Dell_User
Beginner

Hi Doc,

Yes. I chose HDMI Input on the monitor and it always indicates "no video input".

I will add something : when the HDMI cable is not plugged to my laptop, the monitor indicates the message "Check cable connection". As soon as I plug my laptop, it recognizes that something happened: basically, the monitor screen refreshes, it tries to get the image from the input, and instead it just indicates every time "no video input". As if the video data transmited by my laptop cannot be read by the monitor for some reason.

By the way, Are the external monitors that you used new ?

I have yet to try, but I feel that a normal (old) HDMI monitor might work fine, but the problem here is maybe the fact that the monitor is too new / too powerful for this laptop (Dell E7440) for some incompatibility reason,

0 Kudos
AlHill
Super User

Try a better HDMI cable.

Doc

0 Kudos
n_scott_pearson
Super User

It is always possible that the HDMI connector on this laptop is fried. If this is the case, purchase a mini-DisplayPort (mDP) to DisplayPort (DP) cable (or a mDP-to-DP dongle and a standard DP cable) and connect to the monitor using the mDP connector on the laptop. Make sure you get a good quality cable. For future-proofing, I recommend getting one that is compliant with the DP 1.4 specification.

...S

0 Kudos
Dell_User
Beginner

Thanks a lot for the reply Scott,

Yeah I'm going to grab a mDP to DP cable just in case it solves the problem. However, the HDMI connector in my laptop is not fried, since I'm able to connect and display to my HDMI TV with no problem. As soon as I plugged my laptop to the Samsung TV via HDMI, it worked automatically.

Ali

0 Kudos
n_scott_pearson
Super User

So two out of three laptops do not work with this monitor? That sounds like something is wrong in its configuration. For one, make sure that its FreeSync support is disabled.

...S

0 Kudos
Dell_User
Beginner

Thanks Scott,

I went with the mini DP to DP and it worked. Somehow the HDMI connection can't seem to work for some reason. I just hope that I don't get the same problem when I buy a second monitor to use with this laptop (since the only port left available now is the HDMI, considering that my DP is already connected to my 1st monitor).

Thanks a lot for the replies everyone.

Cheers !

0 Kudos
n_scott_pearson
Super User

Actually, if you are using only 1080p monitors, there is enough bandwidth in the DP signal to support three of these monitors and all will run at 60Hz! Now, with Intel HD Graphics, the limit is three monitors total and the laptop's screen counts as one of these monitors. Still, this means that you can add a second external monitor without using the HDMI port.

Using a single DP output and the Multi-stream Transport (MST) capability it supports, you can connect two (or three) monitors in one of two ways:

1. You can use daisy-chaining to connect the monitors together. That is, the DP output port from the laptop is connected to the DP input port on the first monitor. Then, the DP output port of the first monitor is connected to the DP input port of the second monitor. Now, in your particular case, the Philips monitor that you have purchased does not have a DP output port, so daisy-chaining would only be possible if the second monitor that you purchase has a DP output port.
  2. You can use a MST Hub to connect two (or three) monitors. Here is an example of a Hub with two DP outputs: https://www.amazon.com/Accell-Displayport-DisplayPort-Multi-Display-Splitter/dp/B00OJZSOLE. It is even possible to get a MST Hub that converts to the HDMI protocol! Here is an example that supports two HDMI outputs: https://www.amazon.com/XtremPro-Mdp-2Hmmst-DisplayPort-Audio-Adapter/dp/B07MHLJY6D.

Hope this helps,

..S

0 Kudos