Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20493 Discussions

Random Bursts of Lag

BRuss
Beginner

Hey, so for some reason when I’m playing a game my Intel GPU spikes to 100% which doesn’t just lag my game, but lag my entire computer. Basically it lasts like 20 seconds and happens like every 5 minutes. At first it only happened when I was streaming with Streamlabs OBS at my parents house and I thought it was just the wifi there, but when T got back to my house at college it started doing it there, then it moved to doing it when streaming and recording, now it happens when I’m just playing and all other applications are off. I've updated everything that needs updating and installed the newest driver. I’ve moved most of my programs to my Nvidia GPU but this problem still happens. Before I installed the latest driver the lag would just make everything seem slowed down, then after installing the lag stopped for most of the day yesterday but then a few hours later it got so much worse and everything is now choppy when it happens.

Here's a pic of the spike:

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
5 Replies
Victor_G_Intel

Hello BRuss,

Thank you for posting on the Intel® communities.

We appreciate the information you have provided and in order to continue, we will need the following report and information.

Intel® System Support Utility (Intel® SSU)

Download link: https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25293/Intel-System-Support Utility-for-Windows-

• Open the application and click on "Scan" to see the system and device information
  • By default, Intel® SSU will take you to the "Summary View".  
  • Click on the menu where it says "Summary" to change to "Detailed View".  
  • To save your scan, click on "Next", then "Save".  

Note: You can use the option under the reply window to attach the report and any other files to the thread (Drag and drop here or browse files to attach).

1. What games have you exactly encountered this issue with?
  2. Do you have the latest updates for all of those games?
  3. Have you installed any recent software or hardware in your system before the issue started?
  4. Do you remember if this issue happened after a new OS update?
  5. Were you able to have a normal/expected performance before?
  6. Do you have the option for Hybrid graphics enabled in BIOS?
  7. Please provide screenshots of the full main tab and full performance tab of your task manager’s window while running any of the affected games/programs.

I look forward to hearing from you.

Regards,

Victor G.

Intel Technical Support Technician 

0 Kudos
BRuss
Beginner

1. It's happened while playing Minecraft, Overwatch, and Little Nightmares 2. I haven't played anything else really.

2. I do have the latest updates, and I have the graphics and all that on the lowest settings for optimal performance.

3. No it just started out of nowhere, not in any time frame of downloading something. The only things I've downloaded recently was the newest Intel GPU

4. I don't think it did, I'm pretty sure it started during a time where I hadn't updated my computer in a while.

5. Yes, it was normal performance until about 2 months ago when this started happening.

6. I don't know what BIOS or Hybrid graphics is.

7. I sent this in the previous post but ok, I sent it again.

0 Kudos
Victor_G_Intel

Hello BRuss,

Thank you for posting on the Intel® communities.

Based on the report that you provided we have some recommendations for you to try, please let us know if the issues persist afterward.

Games

• Please test the games while using our recommended settings, down below you can find the links to each game.

Overwatch

Minecraft

Little nightmares 2

We haven’t had the chance to test this game yet; however, you can check the following link and try their recommendations, just bear in mind that this hasn’t been validated by us and you will be testing this under your own risk, the link is provided for convenience purposes only.

• Some games can have unforeseen issues when they are run on Windows 10 because they were made to be used on a different version of DirectX than the ones that Windows 10 uses by default; therefore, you can use the recommendations in the following link to see if your experience gets better.

BIOS

• Your BIOS can also use an update, you are currently on version 1.5.0 released on 08 Oct. 2018 and the current one is 1.15.0 released on 15 Jan 2021, in case you want to update it and test the computer afterward please use the instructions and guidance provided by the manufacturer of the laptop.

Utilization

Normal behavior for either a laptop or a desktop computer is that when the system has Hybrid graphics, it allows the system to determine whether or not certain tasks or applications will need more or fewer graphics power so they can be processed correctly.

What the system does is to choose between in this case your Intel graphics and your Nvidia graphics for games and things that require more graphics power; however, the system should choose automatically to use the NVidia graphics and in this case, if the screenshot you sent was while a game was running in the background in means that the Hybrid graphics on your system are not functioning correctly, meaning that you will need to get assistance from either Dell or Nvidia to see whether your BIOS settings are the issue or your Nvidia card.

Also, please take into account that a normal behavior when it comes to utilization while running games or completing high demanding tasks is around 20% to 40 % CPU usage and around 60% to 80% EGPU(Nvidia) usage.

I look forward to hearing from you.

Regards,

Victor G.

• Links to third-party sites and references to third-party trademarks are provided for convenience and illustrative purposes only. Unless explicitly stated, Intel® is not responsible for the contents of such links, and no third-party endorsement of Intel or any of its products is implied.

0 Kudos
Victor_G_Intel

Hello BRuss,

Were you able to check the previous post?  

Please let me know if you need further assistance.  

Best regards,

Victor G. 

0 Kudos
Victor_G_Intel

Hello BRuss,

We have not heard back from you.

If you need any additional information, please submit a new question as this thread will no longer be monitored.

Victor G. 

0 Kudos