Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20623 Discussions

UHD 600 GPU/3D/video decode spiking when playing YouTube videos and NOT in full screen

Kellanist
Beginner

Windows 11 Enterprise, 22H2

Celeron J4125 @ 2.0GHz, 8GB RAM, UHD 600

Latest graphics, bluetooth, processor, and ethernet drivers updated with the Intel driver update utility.

LG TV - 3840 x 2160 @ 60Hz using HDMI.

When playing anything in YouTube on the latest version of Chrome or Edge and the video is NOT in full screen, the video and audio stutter and buffer.  Doesn't matter if the video is in 1080 or 480, it still has issues.

Hardware decoding is turned on and it gets worse if I turn it off.

If I switch to full screen it works fine.

CPU is between 30 and 50% and RAM is around the same. 

No issues with internet. The video has fully loaded and it continues to stutter and lose sync.

VLC plays a 4K copy of Dune just fine. Other streaming sites don't seem to have the same issue.

In Task Manager performance monitor I can see the difference in the GPU section. When playing a video in full screen the GPU utilization sits between 30-60% depending on the video quality and the 3D is steady with the same 30-60% depending on video quality. Video processing is around 30%. No spikes when playing video and it plays smoothly.

When I take it out of full screen, the GPU utilization jumps between 15% then 30% then spikes to 100% and the video/audio buffer. Then it drops back down to 15% and it repeats. The 3D changes from a steady line to spikes between 4% and 100%. Up and down constantly. Video processing drops to small humps where it drops to 4% then rises to 18% before dropping again.

I am not sure what is going on or why the behaviour is completely different.

See the screen shots from performance monitor.

0 Kudos
6 Replies
Alberto_R_Intel
Employee

Kellanist, Thank you for posting in the Intel® Communities Support.

In order for us to provide the most accurate assistance on this matter, we just wanted to confirm a few details about your system:

What is the model of the laptop?

Is this a new computer?

When did you purchase it?

Did you notice this issue with the videos from Youtube before?

If not, when did the issue start?

Did you make any recent hardware/software changes that might cause this problem?

Does the problem happen at home or in the work environment?

Please attach the SSU report so we can verify further details about the components in your platform, check all the options in the report including the one that says "3rd party software logs":

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25293/Intel-System-Support-Utility-for-Windows-?product=91600

Any questions, please let me know.

Regards,

Albert R.

Intel Customer Support Technician

0 Kudos
Kellanist
Beginner

Hi Albert!

Not a laptop. Small desktop. https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B097HMN94J

Purchased just over a year ago on October 25.

This started happening mid way through October. Did not have this issue before.

No hardware changes. 

Software updates:

Windows 11 update to newest.

Latest driver updates from Intel through the Intel app.

Latest version of Chrome and Edge.

PC is in a home environment. 

SSU logs attached.

YouTube seems to think its a network issue as it continues to show me the "having a problem playing video" warning.

0 Kudos
Kellanist
Beginner

Don't mind the errors in the SSU logs where it cant connect to the domain. I changed the DNS from my internal to 8.8.8.8/8.8.4.4 to see if it changed anything last night and it had no effect.

0 Kudos
Alberto_R_Intel
Employee

Kellanist, Thank you very much for providing that information and the SSU report.

According to the SSU document the graphics driver version currently installed on your computer is 31.0.101.2114, which is provided by Intel®:

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/download/19344/intel-graphics-windows-dch-drivers.html?wapkw=uhd%20graphics%20600

It is important to mention that the Intel® graphics drivers are generic. For that reason, we always recommend to install the graphics driver provided by the manufacturer of the computer, since that driver was customized by them to work with your specific platform. 

Based on the link you shared, I can see that the product that you are using is a DreamQuest Mini Pc. For some reason, the SSU report is not detecting the model of the board/Mini PC as it normally does, it just says "Default string".

I looked for DreamQuest website to try to find the graphics driver tested and validated by them in order to download them and test them on your machine, but, I was not able to find it.

Did you check with DreamQuest support to verify how to get the graphics drivers provided by them? 

Also, did you confirm directly with them that the latest BIOS version is currently installed on your device?

Are you using adapters or converters to connect the computer to the screen?

Those are things that the Intel® driver update utility will not be able to confirm. 

Regards,

Albert R.

0 Kudos
Alberto_R_Intel
Employee

Hello Kellanist, I just wanted to check if you saw the information posted previously and if you need further assistance on this matter?

Regards,

Albert R.

0 Kudos
DeividA_Intel
Employee

Hello Kellanist, 

I was checking your thread and see that we have not heard back from you.  

I’m going to close your post, but if you need further assistance, please do not hesitate to create a new thread. 

Regards,  

Deivid A.  

0 Kudos