Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20943 Discussions

Will Iris Xe Graphics work with 8Gb soldered RAM + 16gb/32gb SODIMM?

Themis
Beginner
I am planning to buy a new laptop equipped with 8GB of soldered RAM plus 1 socket for DDR4 SODIMM and IRIS Xe Graphics.
I am thinking of adding 1 x 32GB.
My question is; will IRIS Xe work or it will be demoted to UHD Graphics?
If it is working; what will be the RAM mix? Will the whole system be slower?
0 Kudos
5 Replies
Jean_Intel
Employee

Hello Themis,

Thank you for posting in the Intel Communities. We would be more than glad to assist you regarding your questions.

In order to answer your questions about the Iris Xe Graphics, we would like to further research on this matter to properly answer your questions. We will be posting back as soon as we have more details. However, regarding the implications of the new RAM module in the overall system information, we would like to recommend you consult for compatibility information with your laptop manufacturer.

Best regards

Jean O.

Intel Customer Support Technician

0 Kudos
Jean_Intel
Employee

Hello Themis,

Intel® Iris® Xe Graphics capability requires the system to be configured with dual-channel memory. On the system with single-channel memory, Intel Iris Xe Graphics will function as Intel UHD Graphics. Contact your system manufacturer for more information.

Best regards

Jean O.

0 Kudos
Jean_Intel
Employee

Hello Themis,

Since we have not received a response, we will close this thread. Remember that the Intel® Iris® Xe Graphics capability requires the system to be configured with dual-channel memory. We recommend you contact your system manufacturer for more details.

If you need additional support, please open a new thread, since Intel will no longer monitor this thread.

Best regards

Jean O.

0 Kudos
maple2
Novice

Hello I had the same question as in Aug 2023 I bought vivobook 15x k3504 with i5-1340p and only 8gb of DDR4 RAM. I didnt expect that the machine comes with only 1 SODIMM slot and an that the 8gb MICRON 4ATF1G64HZ-3G2F1 was soldered onto the mobo. I tried to find a definitive answer if the Xe would activate for over a month before deciding to go ahead and just test with 16GB Corsair Vengence 3200MHz CL22 (as by specs it matches the MICRON).

It worked like a charm and I am supper happy the performance boost especially in light games is sooo significant - so just check the spec of your soldered RAM find a suitable pair and go ahead and just do it - it should work.

1bruv
Beginner

thankyou only person who has given a definitive answer!

0 Kudos