Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20602 Discussions

Would it be okay to download the latest UHD Graphics 620 drivers manually?

NGots
Beginner

When I scan my system, the Driver & Support Assistant shows that I have no updates to install. However, it also shows my current graphics drivers as being nearly a year out of date (Latest version: x.x.x.6577, released February 25th, 2019; Installed Version: x.x.x.6025, released April 25th, 2018).

I am having trouble with some video editing software that I'm told a driver update will most likely fix. If there is some important reason why the D&S Assistant is choosing not to update the drivers, then let me know. But if installing the newer drivers manually would likely spell only improvements and success for my computer and my life, then I'm all for it.

0 Kudos
6 Replies
AlHill
Super User

What is the make and model of your device? What is your processor model number?

If your device is a laptop, you should use ONLY the driver provided by the laptop manufacturer. There are reasons for this, as the manufacturer may have modified or customized the driver for their hardware.

Now, all of that said, 6577 is the latest and is the "DCH" driver. Take a backup of your system (or at least your data), and review this thread:

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/28567/Intel-Graphics-Windows-10-DCH-Drivers

All standard disclaimers apply.

Doc

0 Kudos
AlHill
Super User
0 Kudos
NGots
Beginner

I was afraid you'd say that about the laptop. Yeah, I have an "HP ENVY x360 Convertible 15m-bp1xx". It's a refurb that seems a little Frankensteined together. As an example and to answer your question, the sticker on it boasts an Intel Core i7, but the processor is actually an Intel Core i5-8250U.

0 Kudos
Wanner_G_Intel
Hello NGots, Intel recommends getting the graphics driver directly from your computer manufacturer. Keep in mind that we supply generic versions of graphics drivers for general purposes. However, you can still download and install drivers from the Download Center or using Intel® Driver and Support Assistant (IDSA). Were you able to follow the steps provided on this thread? Wanner G. Intel Customer Support Technician Under Contract to Intel Corporation
0 Kudos
NGots
Beginner

I haven't decided to install the drivers just yet. I've saved the link above in case I do, but if it's really that integral for my laptop, I'm not certain I want to update them. I suppose it comes to what the worst that could happen is. I mean, if things go wrong and it just means I'll have to reboot in Safe Mode and uninstall the drivers, that's one thing. But if something could actually be damaged, that's another.

For the time being, I found a (wildly inconvenient) workaround for the problem with the video editor. I would definitely like to actually fix the problem, but not at the potential cost of my hardware. It's certainly a dilemma.

0 Kudos
Wanner_G_Intel
Hello NGots, Thank you for your response. As you mentioned before, installing a newer generic driver may or may not fix the issues you are having with the video editing software. However, to better address this issue, we recommend using Original Equipment Manufacturer (OEM) drivers only and referring to the software developer in case the problems you are experiencing are known issues that can be addressed in a different way. Wanner G. Intel Customer Support Technician Under Contract to Intel Corporation
0 Kudos