Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20948 Discussions

Xeon E3 1230

Dragerboat
Beginner
Hi everyone, I recently just purchased a Xeon E3 1230 3.2GH for a $100. I installed my Asus GeForce 960ti but it is only showing a black screen with a small white line. So I replaced it with my 650Ti and it works perfectly. My 960 card works fine on my son in laws pc so I know there’s nothing wrong with the card. Is the CPU to weak for the card because I read that the cards work fine on these machines
0 Kudos
5 Replies
AlHill
Super User

Does your motherboard and bios actually support the E3 1230?

Doc (not an Intel employee or contractor)
[Maybe Windows 12 will be better]

0 Kudos
Dragerboat
Beginner
It’s the Dell PowerEdge T110 II Server 3.1 GHz Intel Xeon E3 V2 Family Tower. The GTX 650Ti runs fine but if I put in the GTX 960 or the 970 it just boots up to a black screen with a small white cursor line. Do you think I need to maybe update the Bios. Because I have seen YouTube videos running these cards with this exact system. Thanks in advance
0 Kudos
Dineshbabu
Employee

Hello JongHoB,

Greetings for the day!

Thank you for posting Intel Community

As per our analysis, the compatibility between a graphics card and a CPU is usually determined by the motherboard's compatibility with both components and the available PCIe slots for the graphics card. Both the GeForce GTX 960 Ti and the Xeon E3-1230 use standard PCIe interfaces for connectivity, so in that sense, they should be compatible in terms of the physical connection.

However, whether they will work well together in a specific system depends on the rest of your system's configuration, such as the motherboard, power supply, and other components along with manufacturer having the deriver built for the Xeon processor. It's essential to ensure that your motherboard has a compatible PCIe slot (usually PCIe x16) for the graphics card and supports the Xeon E3-1230 CPU. Additionally, make sure your power supply can provide enough wattage and the necessary power connectors for the graphics card.

According to the Intel® Xeon® Processor E3-1230 specifications, it is compatible with Intel C216, C202, C204, and C206 chipsets. For a list of compatible products, please refer to the link below:

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/products/sku/52271/intel-xeon-processor-e31230-8m-cache-3-20-ghz/specifications.html

Please refer to the below link for the Dell PowerEdge T110 specification: (It has Intel® 3400)

https://i.dell.com/sites/csdocuments/Shared-Content_data-Sheets_Documents/en/T110-SpecSheet.pdf

Please don’t hesitate to contact us for any further assistance. 

Thank you for using Intel products and services.

Regards,

Dineshbabu

Intel Customer Support.

0 Kudos
Dineshbabu
Employee

Hello JongHoB,

Greetings for the day!

I am sending a follow up if you have any questions from the previous post. If so, please let us know.

Please don’t hesitate to contact us for any further assistance.

Thank you for using Intel products and services.

Regards,

Dineshbabu

Intel Customer Support.

0 Kudos
Dineshbabu
Employee

Hello JongHoB,

Greetings for the day!

We would like to inform you that we are closing this request as no response has been received from our previous follow-ups. Please don't hesitate to ask any further questions in the future. Feel free to start a new conversation, as this thread will no longer be monitored.

Best regards, 

Dineshbabu.

Intel Customer Support.

0 Kudos