Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20704 Discussions

dGPU Switch and Freeze Problem

RBalt1
New Contributor I

Hi,

there is a problem with laptops which have Intel CPU + GTX 1050/1050Ti/1060/1070/GT 640M. The problem is, whenever you try to do some action on the OS, discrete GPU is triggered and it causes a 0.5s freeze.

Some actions, which cause the dGPU to wake up and lock up the whole system for about 0,5 seconds are:

• Left click on battery-icon in task-bar
  • Opening Chrome-browser
  • Opening Windows Image Viewer (app + classic Foto viewer)
  • Opening system control panel
  • Provocation any animation on task bar (e.g. thumbnail-preview, ...)
  • Loading a new tab in Firefox

Here is a video demonstrating Display Setting Freeze:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b7K1SpCQgAY https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b7K1SpCQgAY

Another video showing dGPU switch on a lot of simple tasks:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-euiZmHZwlc https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-euiZmHZwlc

Another one:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=txQZWfWFhlc https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=txQZWfWFhlc

We have tried updating every software possible, but no luck.

• Intel driver
  • NVIDIA driver
  • Chipset driver
  • BIOS
  • Firmware

The problem can be found on all laptop brands: ASUS, Acer, Clevo, Dell, Gigabyte, HP, Lenovo, MSI, Razer.The problem can be solved by either disabling Intel GPU, which forces the system to always work with NVIDIA, or disabling NVIDIA GPU. Both of them is not an option though, as if you disable Intel, not only you will drain the battery faster, but also some games will stop working. If you disable NVIDIA, then what is the point of buying a laptop with a discrete GPU?There is a also a workaround: configuring https://github.com/jobeid/TrayPwrD3 TrayPwrD3 to always work with NVIDIA in the backgound. This keeps the NVIDIA GPU alive but also drains battery faster. And there is no poaint in that as it renders Optimus useless!So, manufacturers have to come up with a fix.Thank you.

Reported Models:

• Acer VN7-793G

• Acer Nitro 5 (AN515-51-536M)

• Acer Nitro 5, i5 7300HQ, GTX1050 Ti

• Acer Predator Helios 300 (PH317-51)

• ASUS N580VD

• Asus GL503VD

• Asus GL503

• Alienware 13 R3

• Alienware 17 R4

• Dell 7567

• Dell XPS L521x
  • Dell Inspiron 15 Gaming 7577

• Dell 7510 (Early 2017)

• Gigabyte Aero15W

• GIGABYTE P37XV6

• Gigabyte P35 v6

• Gigabyte Aero 15

• HP Omen 15

• HP Omen HD630 + GTX1050

• HP Pavilion

• Lenovo Y720

• Lenovo Y520

• Lenovo W530
  • Lenovo P51 Xeon

• MSI GE63VR 7RF Raider 4K
  • MSI GS60 2PE

• MSI GS43VR 7RE

• MSI GS63VR 4K

• MSI GS73VR 7RG Stealth Pro

• MSI GS73VR 7RF

• MSI GP62MVR 7RF

• MSI GE72MVR 7RG

• MSI GE73VR 7RE

• MSI GE73VR 7RF

• MSI GP72MVR

• MSI GX63VR

• Monster ABRA A7 V7.2 (Clevo)

• Razer Blade 14

• Razer Blade 14 2017

• Razer Blade 2017

• Samsung Odyssey i7 7700 + GTX 1050

• XMG A517-dnj
  • XMG P507

Non-Effected Models:

• MSI PL62 7RC

Effected Windows Versions:

• W...
1 Solution
Bryce__Intel
Employee

Hello folks,

Thank you for your patience while we investigated this further. I understand the frustrations caused by this issue and apologize for the inconvenience it may be bringing you. By now, most of you have installed our latest graphics driver (https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/27650 15.65.5.4982) and seen the right-click desktop issue resolved (and some other right-click stutters as well).

After implementing the code change, we noticed there were some remaining right-click stutters happening in various areas of the OS experience and that's what we've been investigating until now; we wanted to be very clear if we were still contributing to them. We've now concluded that we are not, we're only in the stack 1 millisecond which is acceptable and the remaining time is from other parties and the three others in the stack, to the best of my knowledge are aware, investigating, and treating this with high priority.

This concludes Intel's investigation so I'm now considering this thread closed, though Intel will remain in communication with the other parties to assist in any way we can should they desire.

Special thanks to coolrecep for reporting this and all the others helping with config details and testing so we could improve our drivers as quickly as possible. We value all of your contributions.

.:Bryce:.

View solution in original post

715 Replies
RBalt1
New Contributor I

We need an answer Intel! There are now more than 500 people who just clicked on the "I have the same issue" link on Microsoft forums!

0 Kudos
BJovi1
Beginner

Two months ago bought a brand new laptop MSI GE73VR 7RF RiderThe screen is 17.3 "(1920x1080) Full HD, Intel Core i7-7700HQ (2.8 - 3.8 GHz) / RAM 16 Gb / HDD 1Tb + SSD 256Gb / GeForce GTX 1070, 8 GbAt the moment, having spent almost two thousand dollars for this piece of iron and plastic. I have similar problems like every thing on this forum.Sometimes the mouse cursor freezes and it's disgusting dudes! I want to believe that this issue will be resolved in the near future.

0 Kudos
TNowa4
Novice

Mulder did as well but it didn't help at all 🙂

0 Kudos
RBalt1
New Contributor I

@Ronald_Intel and @Bryce@Intel Any news?

0 Kudos
RBalt1
New Contributor I

Ronald_Intel

Bryce@Intel

We need an update.

0 Kudos
ADear
Beginner

I don't understand why this is taking so long! We are receiving many updates which aren't as much important as the right click freeze... Please intel make an update (patch) which you will help us fixing this problem. WE ARE ALL WAITING!

0 Kudos
FWien
Novice

Hey Guys,

a little hero from github has a working workaround. He enables the dedicated gpu permanent on idle.

For me ist works like a charm - no freeze, no stuttering.

Maybe it helps you, too.

https://github.com/jobeid/TrayPwrD3 GitHub - jobeid/TrayPwrD3: Keeps dGPU on but idle until needed. This addresses the Windows 10 stutter/mouse freeze on du…

0 Kudos
ADear
Beginner

Thanks a lot Hummel but this is only a workaround. We should receive an official update which will resolve this problem.

0 Kudos
RBalt1
New Contributor I

Really? Do you also know that this app drains your battery?

Come on guys. We already know all the workarounds...

0 Kudos
FWien
Novice

Yeah this drains the battery a bit, but now i can use my 1600€ PC.

Until intel/nvidia/microsoft move an solve the Problem, its better than nothing for me

0 Kudos
ssamb1
New Contributor I

Lol - don't think this issue is a priority to Intel. Not with the Intel cpu bug that's going on right now.

0 Kudos
RBalt1
New Contributor I

Neither for Microsoft:

https://twitter.com/NorthFaceHiker/status/950413943159250944 Jason on Twitter: "@buckberi This item, as compared to new work being done as well as bugs being fixed, is not a large c…

0 Kudos
ppand6
Beginner

Well, straight from Microshi..sorry Microsoft.

"

Yes, in the the grand scheme of things this is a minor bug.

Taking an extra 1/4 of a second for a UI-click to load isn't as high on the priority list as much of the other work that is being done.

Additionally, how many times a week are you actually clicking that action?

"

I guess they are too busy covering for Intel's manufacturing fuck-ups.

At the very least dude is honest and straight up tells there won't be any fix any time soon instead of giving blanket answers.

Meanwhile, i like my context menu's, my battery icon, and UAC pop-ups all stutter free.

So don't mind me while i switch to Linux.

Also don't mind me when i switch to AMD for next gen CPU's.

I suggest you all do the same get rid of this useless companies monopoly.

0 Kudos
Bryce__Intel
Employee

Hello all,

I noted I'd provide updates as they become available. Keeping with that, the debug engineer has moved this to our Control Panel team and it's in their queue awaiting a Developer. I've escalated the issue with management and I'm hoping to get this assigned to a Developer in the next few days to continue investigation. Yes, I have prioritized this, it is being treated with high importance, and I'll continue to provide updates when I have something to update you with. No update means there's nothing of value yet to update. I know the process seems to be taking a long time, though I feel there is good traction internally and I've been championing this for you. Overall there is a lot of development going on, so it's not unusual for investigations to take months; more complex issues can take even longer and other considerations can add to that time as well. I understand the level of frustration this is causing and am doing my best to push this to get an answer as soon as possible. I appreciate your patience during this process.

.:Bryce:.

BJovi1
Beginner

Everyone understands that your team is very busy!

But sometimes you can find a couple of minutes to write on the forum and explain what is really being done in solving this issue!

I hope we all are not asking for something unrealistic?

0 Kudos
FWien
Novice

Nice to hear

For me it is not only the Desktop right click freeze, it is an unusable ui.

open Firefox = short freeze

New tab = freeze

Chrome same

Use other Programs = freezes

Thanks for your help

0 Kudos
RBalt1
New Contributor I

Thank you for the update. Microsoft has also started to take a better look into the problem:

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-performance/intel-nvidia-laptop-freeze-problem/93e7004a-62b1-4211-8e37-4c136608865e?tm=1515665428462&page=43 Intel + NVIDIA Laptop Freeze Problem - Microsoft Community

I have also updated the first post in MS forums.

0 Kudos
RBalt1
New Contributor I

Bryce@Intel

Ronald_Intel

I think we need an update.

0 Kudos
MAl_R
Novice

Got the same problem on my Lenovo y520 that I bought less than a week ago, it's annoying af.

Would you happen to know if a fresh install of Windows fixes it? It's not there for everyone so I think it might work

0 Kudos
FWien
Novice

Read the first Post carefully - no fresh Installation helps. If you install the driver for dedicated gpu or Windows does, the Problem occurres. In the first Post or the Microsoft one are workarounds until its fixed.

FSapi
Novice

Correct, I recently did a fresh install and everything was smooth up until Nvidia and Intel graphics drivers were installed. It's not a Hardware or Windows problem per-say, the issue lies with the aforementioned drivers and the way they perform power-management.

It seems to happen both plugged in and on battery power which is double annoying.

0 Kudos