Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20834 Discussions

dGPU Switch and Freeze Problem

RBalt1
New Contributor I

Hi,

there is a problem with laptops which have Intel CPU + GTX 1050/1050Ti/1060/1070/GT 640M. The problem is, whenever you try to do some action on the OS, discrete GPU is triggered and it causes a 0.5s freeze.

Some actions, which cause the dGPU to wake up and lock up the whole system for about 0,5 seconds are:

• Left click on battery-icon in task-bar
  • Opening Chrome-browser
  • Opening Windows Image Viewer (app + classic Foto viewer)
  • Opening system control panel
  • Provocation any animation on task bar (e.g. thumbnail-preview, ...)
  • Loading a new tab in Firefox

Here is a video demonstrating Display Setting Freeze:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b7K1SpCQgAY https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b7K1SpCQgAY

Another video showing dGPU switch on a lot of simple tasks:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-euiZmHZwlc https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-euiZmHZwlc

Another one:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=txQZWfWFhlc https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=txQZWfWFhlc

We have tried updating every software possible, but no luck.

• Intel driver
  • NVIDIA driver
  • Chipset driver
  • BIOS
  • Firmware

The problem can be found on all laptop brands: ASUS, Acer, Clevo, Dell, Gigabyte, HP, Lenovo, MSI, Razer.The problem can be solved by either disabling Intel GPU, which forces the system to always work with NVIDIA, or disabling NVIDIA GPU. Both of them is not an option though, as if you disable Intel, not only you will drain the battery faster, but also some games will stop working. If you disable NVIDIA, then what is the point of buying a laptop with a discrete GPU?There is a also a workaround: configuring https://github.com/jobeid/TrayPwrD3 TrayPwrD3 to always work with NVIDIA in the backgound. This keeps the NVIDIA GPU alive but also drains battery faster. And there is no poaint in that as it renders Optimus useless!So, manufacturers have to come up with a fix.Thank you.

Reported Models:

• Acer VN7-793G

• Acer Nitro 5 (AN515-51-536M)

• Acer Nitro 5, i5 7300HQ, GTX1050 Ti

• Acer Predator Helios 300 (PH317-51)

• ASUS N580VD

• Asus GL503VD

• Asus GL503

• Alienware 13 R3

• Alienware 17 R4

• Dell 7567

• Dell XPS L521x
  • Dell Inspiron 15 Gaming 7577

• Dell 7510 (Early 2017)

• Gigabyte Aero15W

• GIGABYTE P37XV6

• Gigabyte P35 v6

• Gigabyte Aero 15

• HP Omen 15

• HP Omen HD630 + GTX1050

• HP Pavilion

• Lenovo Y720

• Lenovo Y520

• Lenovo W530
  • Lenovo P51 Xeon

• MSI GE63VR 7RF Raider 4K
  • MSI GS60 2PE

• MSI GS43VR 7RE

• MSI GS63VR 4K

• MSI GS73VR 7RG Stealth Pro

• MSI GS73VR 7RF

• MSI GP62MVR 7RF

• MSI GE72MVR 7RG

• MSI GE73VR 7RE

• MSI GE73VR 7RF

• MSI GP72MVR

• MSI GX63VR

• Monster ABRA A7 V7.2 (Clevo)

• Razer Blade 14

• Razer Blade 14 2017

• Razer Blade 2017

• Samsung Odyssey i7 7700 + GTX 1050

• XMG A517-dnj
  • XMG P507

Non-Effected Models:

• MSI PL62 7RC

Effected Windows Versions:

• W...
1 Solution
Bryce__Intel
Employee

Hello folks,

Thank you for your patience while we investigated this further. I understand the frustrations caused by this issue and apologize for the inconvenience it may be bringing you. By now, most of you have installed our latest graphics driver (https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/27650 15.65.5.4982) and seen the right-click desktop issue resolved (and some other right-click stutters as well).

After implementing the code change, we noticed there were some remaining right-click stutters happening in various areas of the OS experience and that's what we've been investigating until now; we wanted to be very clear if we were still contributing to them. We've now concluded that we are not, we're only in the stack 1 millisecond which is acceptable and the remaining time is from other parties and the three others in the stack, to the best of my knowledge are aware, investigating, and treating this with high priority.

This concludes Intel's investigation so I'm now considering this thread closed, though Intel will remain in communication with the other parties to assist in any way we can should they desire.

Special thanks to coolrecep for reporting this and all the others helping with config details and testing so we could improve our drivers as quickly as possible. We value all of your contributions.

.:Bryce:.

View solution in original post

715 Replies
bhasa
Beginner

When you disable Nvidia GPU with this tool, battery drain too fast. This is the same disable GPU from device manager. Thank you but it is not a real solution.

0 Kudos
FSapi
Novice

I guess it depends on how your system handles the disabled GPU. If it still provides power to it when disabling it for whatever reason, then it won't work.

In any case it stops the random freezing on my personal system.

0 Kudos
RG8
Novice

While the community tries to fix broken mechanic from intel, nvidia and microsoft, the companies don't give a damn.

welcome to the modern world. At least I understand why intel doesn't do anything at the moment, since the whole Meltdown and Spectre crap happened, but microsoft and NVIDIA, LuLz

MBEDO
Beginner

I have a lenovo Y520 with 1060 6go ans I5 and i have the same problèm !

The software is not a issue !

What Intel does ???!

Math

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

same problem here, i'm using Intel HD 5500 and Windows 10 1709 Fall Creators Update

0 Kudos
RBalt1
New Contributor I

OK folks! We got an official reply from Microsoft!

Hey Recep, thanks for engaging with us on this issue. It seems to be an issue in the Intel or Nvidia drivers and not directly related to a pre-release build of Windows.

We are engaging with our partners at Intel and Nvidia to resolve the issue and we will update you as information becomes available! ~WindowsInsider

And BTW, this problem exists both on RTM 1709 and pre-releases. ~Recep Baltaş

Yes, I have read back on the forums. Intel and Nvidia are both working on a solution.~WindowsInsider

https://twitter.com/windowsinsider/status/958457202833960960 Windows Insider on Twitter: "Yes, I have read back on the forums. Intel and Nvidia are both working on a solution.… "

So it looks like it is NOT an OS issue but a driver issue and Intel and NVIDIA are working on it.

I'll update the first post accordingly.

0 Kudos
RG8
Novice

No, this is not an intel + Nvidia problem. This is a Nvidia + Windows problem. Microsofts MSHybrid + Optimus crashing on each other...... I contacted the guy who invented DDU he also suffers from this problem and am trying to see if he knows how to disable MShyrbid so that optimus runs, so that we basicially get the same as on WIndows 7.

0 Kudos
RBalt1
New Contributor I

Well I have NVIDIA contact via mail. I'll pass Microsoft's reply to them and see what they will say.

0 Kudos
RG8
Novice

I contacted NVIDIA as well, so far they are investigating (hopefully).

I don't have high hopes at the moment, but this MSHybird + Optimus bug sure is annoying.

0 Kudos
bhasa
Beginner

reply from MSI:

Please be informed that this is "microstutter" which comes from Windows operating system.

We have reported the issue to Microsoft and wait for stable version release.

Sorry for any inconvenience caused to you.

0 Kudos
NPiro
Beginner

thanks for this great and very descriptive post!! I can relate to everything you wrote!!

I'll put my posts on some of those guys channels, and already did on some before...

0 Kudos
Bryce__Intel
Employee

Hello all,

I believe we have root caused the issue and are testing various potential fixes, one looking promising so far. This happens often though in fixing bugs, we'll attempt to check in and hopefully it won't cause other issues or break when combined with other code fixes. It is a step in the right direction though and I thought I'd share progress. If all goes well, we could be looking at a fix in our March/April driver depending on any complications and perhaps a Beta if I can get one out sooner. I'll keep the updates coming as they're available.

.:Bryce:.

RG8
Novice

I would really appreciate if you guys could push it out a little bit earlier with beta drivers. The sooner I can finally work on my stuff without losing battery life or getting dxkernel bluescreens the better.

Thanks for the update man!

I'm aware that you guys are mostly focused on the whole spectre stuff, so I understand why it takes a bit until our fix gets out, but at this point we will take anything we can get.

EKao2
Beginner

Hi Bryce :

Is that any bug check VGA driver which can provide to ODM/OEM to test ?

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

The latest March/April Intel Drivers still don't fix the issue!

0 Kudos
DFros1
Beginner

Exact same issue here on a brand new Razer Blade 14 2017. I will be returning it, as I don't think I should struggle to perform everyday tasks in class and at work on a $2.3k gaming machine. Sad, because games play so dang well on it.

0 Kudos
FSapi
Novice

Noooo, don't return it. This is a software bug and will be fixed, Intel have stated recently that they're actively working on a fix.

DFros1
Beginner

You win the award for fastest reply on any forum I've ever seen. I genuinely appreciate your response. I guess you're right, that does make sense. I am just frustrated because this is the second laptop I have purchased, and I planned to only return one of them, but now I want to return both.. The one I purchased just before this was the Surface Book 2. Best laptop I've ever used, or even seen, but the dang thing discharges battery at an alarming rate when gaming and also has microstutters in many games. Do you think by chance that's a fix that Microsoft would address later-on? I see nothing on forums other than a press-release by Microsoft saying they know it happens and it's not a gaming machine. If that won't ever get fixed, perhaps I'll just keep the Razer. Sorry for the rabbit-hole, I'm just stressed about this, but thanks for your help!

0 Kudos
STria
Beginner

Same problem here. Dell Inspiron 7577 with Intel HD Graphics 630 and NVidia GTX 1060. Disabling the internal graphics makes everything run smoothly but it's not really a fix since it kills the battery. Running the laptop in safe mode with networking also appears to not have the same freezes.

Waiting on that March/April driver update.

0 Kudos
RBalt1
New Contributor I

If it was as easy as doing a clean install, we would not be here in the first place.

No, it is not a solution.

EDITED FOR LANGUAGE.

DOC

0 Kudos
HMang
Beginner

Hi all,

I tried the DDU solution already in about half year ago....

It did not solved the problem, probably we will have to wait for Intel's solution.

BTW I have MSI GS63VR 4K screen.

0 Kudos