Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20834 Discussions

dGPU Switch and Freeze Problem

RBalt1
New Contributor I

Hi,

there is a problem with laptops which have Intel CPU + GTX 1050/1050Ti/1060/1070/GT 640M. The problem is, whenever you try to do some action on the OS, discrete GPU is triggered and it causes a 0.5s freeze.

Some actions, which cause the dGPU to wake up and lock up the whole system for about 0,5 seconds are:

• Left click on battery-icon in task-bar
  • Opening Chrome-browser
  • Opening Windows Image Viewer (app + classic Foto viewer)
  • Opening system control panel
  • Provocation any animation on task bar (e.g. thumbnail-preview, ...)
  • Loading a new tab in Firefox

Here is a video demonstrating Display Setting Freeze:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b7K1SpCQgAY https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b7K1SpCQgAY

Another video showing dGPU switch on a lot of simple tasks:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-euiZmHZwlc https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-euiZmHZwlc

Another one:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=txQZWfWFhlc https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=txQZWfWFhlc

We have tried updating every software possible, but no luck.

• Intel driver
  • NVIDIA driver
  • Chipset driver
  • BIOS
  • Firmware

The problem can be found on all laptop brands: ASUS, Acer, Clevo, Dell, Gigabyte, HP, Lenovo, MSI, Razer.The problem can be solved by either disabling Intel GPU, which forces the system to always work with NVIDIA, or disabling NVIDIA GPU. Both of them is not an option though, as if you disable Intel, not only you will drain the battery faster, but also some games will stop working. If you disable NVIDIA, then what is the point of buying a laptop with a discrete GPU?There is a also a workaround: configuring https://github.com/jobeid/TrayPwrD3 TrayPwrD3 to always work with NVIDIA in the backgound. This keeps the NVIDIA GPU alive but also drains battery faster. And there is no poaint in that as it renders Optimus useless!So, manufacturers have to come up with a fix.Thank you.

Reported Models:

• Acer VN7-793G

• Acer Nitro 5 (AN515-51-536M)

• Acer Nitro 5, i5 7300HQ, GTX1050 Ti

• Acer Predator Helios 300 (PH317-51)

• ASUS N580VD

• Asus GL503VD

• Asus GL503

• Alienware 13 R3

• Alienware 17 R4

• Dell 7567

• Dell XPS L521x
  • Dell Inspiron 15 Gaming 7577

• Dell 7510 (Early 2017)

• Gigabyte Aero15W

• GIGABYTE P37XV6

• Gigabyte P35 v6

• Gigabyte Aero 15

• HP Omen 15

• HP Omen HD630 + GTX1050

• HP Pavilion

• Lenovo Y720

• Lenovo Y520

• Lenovo W530
  • Lenovo P51 Xeon

• MSI GE63VR 7RF Raider 4K
  • MSI GS60 2PE

• MSI GS43VR 7RE

• MSI GS63VR 4K

• MSI GS73VR 7RG Stealth Pro

• MSI GS73VR 7RF

• MSI GP62MVR 7RF

• MSI GE72MVR 7RG

• MSI GE73VR 7RE

• MSI GE73VR 7RF

• MSI GP72MVR

• MSI GX63VR

• Monster ABRA A7 V7.2 (Clevo)

• Razer Blade 14

• Razer Blade 14 2017

• Razer Blade 2017

• Samsung Odyssey i7 7700 + GTX 1050

• XMG A517-dnj
  • XMG P507

Non-Effected Models:

• MSI PL62 7RC

Effected Windows Versions:

• W...
1 Solution
Bryce__Intel
Employee

Hello folks,

Thank you for your patience while we investigated this further. I understand the frustrations caused by this issue and apologize for the inconvenience it may be bringing you. By now, most of you have installed our latest graphics driver (https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/27650 15.65.5.4982) and seen the right-click desktop issue resolved (and some other right-click stutters as well).

After implementing the code change, we noticed there were some remaining right-click stutters happening in various areas of the OS experience and that's what we've been investigating until now; we wanted to be very clear if we were still contributing to them. We've now concluded that we are not, we're only in the stack 1 millisecond which is acceptable and the remaining time is from other parties and the three others in the stack, to the best of my knowledge are aware, investigating, and treating this with high priority.

This concludes Intel's investigation so I'm now considering this thread closed, though Intel will remain in communication with the other parties to assist in any way we can should they desire.

Special thanks to coolrecep for reporting this and all the others helping with config details and testing so we could improve our drivers as quickly as possible. We value all of your contributions.

.:Bryce:.

View solution in original post

715 Replies
KLong1
Beginner

Yeah, I agree with this, I bought a brand new Lenovo P51 Xeon and had the problem. I returned it and a week later they called me to say that they have fixed the problem. When I got there to pick it up I noticed that they had simply switched on discrete graphics in the bios, thinking that I'm just a normal user and that I wouldn't notice. So I switched it back to hybrid and reproduced the problem in front of their eyes, like magic. They were all suddenly so stunned.

They then gave me a refund.

They have now just this morning invited me to Lenovo so that they can show me that the problem is fixed. If so, they will order a brand new P51 for me. That's so kind but the problem will obviously persist on the new machine as well. So I'm a little apprehensive.

0 Kudos
DFeli3
Beginner

I received a Dell BIOS update for my Inspiron 15 Gaming 7567 yesterday, but apparently it had nothing to do with this bug. The manufacturers do not seem to care about the issue.

0 Kudos
RBalt1
New Contributor I

In June 2018, it'll be a year since I created the topic on Microsoft forums...

0 Kudos
KLong1
Beginner

Yeah, I suspect it has taken so long because they don't have a fix for this.

It is unfixable, so to speak, else they would've issued a new driver update long ago.

This is serious enough to push out a patch that goes against their normal driver update cycle.

Imagine a mass recall of all Lenovo's, Dell's, HP's, Razor's etc

That would be catastrophic, hence the silence.

0 Kudos
RBalt1
New Contributor I

It is not impossible to fix. They just need to redirect drawing calls to internal GPU and that's it...

0 Kudos
RBalt1
New Contributor I

After all this, I find it funny that Microsoft was named as one of the World's Most Ethical Companies...

https://ethisphere.com/2018-worlds-most-ethical-companies/ Ethisphere Institute Announces 135 Companies Honored as World's Most Ethical Companies – Ethisphere® Institute | Good. S…

0 Kudos
SSale13
Beginner

Not sure if this is helpful but by disabling the NVidia adapter the stuttering stops. At least this way I can use the laptop for daily tasks without the the annoying stutter - then enable the Nvidia adapter when needed.

I have an Acer Helios Predator 300 with Intel HD 630 and GTX 1060.

Edit: Sorry just realized this has been posted before as a temporary workaround.

0 Kudos
FSapi
Novice

Indeed, the tool I released on this forum disables the GPU which fixes the stuttering. However as everyone's discovered, disabling the GPU also disables the driver telling the descrete chip to power manage. Meaning the GPU will remain fully on battery power.

SSale13
Beginner

Will using your tool harm the dGPU?

0 Kudos
YKuşc
Novice

Hello guys, I have bought Inspiron 15 7577 (7700hq + 1060maxQ) and I am really annoyed with this issue too. I searched many forums and websites to be able to come to this discussion. I first noticed that the problem is due to Intel HD Graphics driver when I right clicked on desktop while GeForceExperience is open, there aren't any lag spikes when GeForce Experience is running. Thus, I thought that the problem is not due to memory or something else it is due to Intel HD Graphics driver (assuming that it is switched to 1060 when GeForce Experience is running).

I am waiting the March/April update like you guys but I hope that they solve it as soon as possible. Any news from intel ? Bryce@Intel

EJone6
Beginner

Same issue here, exact same system. I was surprised with a system of this spec to have such an issue. Just came across this forum while browsing about it.

idata
Employee

4959 is an improvement, but its not a full fix,

Clicking on the battery icon still freeze the system for a second.

Opening the Intel graphics setting same problem,

Opening Google Chrome same problem.

0 Kudos
YKuşc
Novice
0 Kudos
CXeno
Beginner

I created an account for this community solely for the purpose of saying, that I too have this problem!

I had this problem since the first day Windows 10 became available and there hasn't been any improvement at all (Unfortunately)!

At first I thought, that only old laptops have this problem, but then I came across this forum and apparently even latest systems, have it too!

Interestingly it happens more, after each Windows 10 major update. Now whenever I open up Google Chrome, it freezes, Opening setting page, freeze, sometimes it happens by itself!

Hopefully this gets a fix soon.

PRiis
Beginner

Hi guys,

First, I have the exact same problem on a brand new Dell 7577 (i7 7700HQ - GTX 1060 Max-Q).

I primarily bought this laptop for playing CS:GO, and since I haven't noticed anyone complaining about lags/spikes in games, I wanted to know if this is also what causes the game to microfreeze in CS:GO every 3-5 seconds? It's so annoying as there's no smooth gameplay at all (an important factor when playing this kind of game).

Does any of you have this issue in CS:GO (or other games) as well?

Thanks!

0 Kudos
Kkets
Beginner

Any updates on that guys? MSI GS73 7RG user here! experiencing all of the above!

0 Kudos
RBalt1
New Contributor I

February is about to end. I hope we will get a proper driver or at least an explanation this week...

But I also doubt that this problem belongs to Microsoft and after all that, Intel will come up and say: "oh sorry, we passed the problem to Microsoft." Ping pong...

RG8
Novice

They already answered, Intel said they will have it fixed around next month or april. Patience my friend, Patience.

0 Kudos
KLong1
Beginner

Patience? Really? This issue has been around since June 2017. LOL,

0 Kudos
RSkal
Novice

Hello,

Same issue after updated Windows 10 to 1709, with laptop HP Pavilion (Intel i7 7700HQ + GTX 1050ti), as same as topic starter explained, freezes on right click and etc.

Microsoft said that it is not their issue, so I hope you guys will fix it in next driver update. But if you can't just explain to us what can we do in our next step should we write to Nvidia or to put more pressure on Microsoft.

Thank you!

0 Kudos
KLong1
Beginner

Your next step is too return your notebook. I don't think Intel or Microsoft know how to fix this issue else it would've been fixed long ago. To wait almost a year for a fix is unacceptable.

0 Kudos