Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20602 Discussions

dGPU Switch and Freeze Problem

RBalt1
New Contributor I

Hi,

there is a problem with laptops which have Intel CPU + GTX 1050/1050Ti/1060/1070/GT 640M. The problem is, whenever you try to do some action on the OS, discrete GPU is triggered and it causes a 0.5s freeze.

Some actions, which cause the dGPU to wake up and lock up the whole system for about 0,5 seconds are:

• Left click on battery-icon in task-bar
  • Opening Chrome-browser
  • Opening Windows Image Viewer (app + classic Foto viewer)
  • Opening system control panel
  • Provocation any animation on task bar (e.g. thumbnail-preview, ...)
  • Loading a new tab in Firefox

Here is a video demonstrating Display Setting Freeze:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b7K1SpCQgAY https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b7K1SpCQgAY

Another video showing dGPU switch on a lot of simple tasks:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-euiZmHZwlc https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-euiZmHZwlc

Another one:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=txQZWfWFhlc https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=txQZWfWFhlc

We have tried updating every software possible, but no luck.

• Intel driver
  • NVIDIA driver
  • Chipset driver
  • BIOS
  • Firmware

The problem can be found on all laptop brands: ASUS, Acer, Clevo, Dell, Gigabyte, HP, Lenovo, MSI, Razer.The problem can be solved by either disabling Intel GPU, which forces the system to always work with NVIDIA, or disabling NVIDIA GPU. Both of them is not an option though, as if you disable Intel, not only you will drain the battery faster, but also some games will stop working. If you disable NVIDIA, then what is the point of buying a laptop with a discrete GPU?There is a also a workaround: configuring https://github.com/jobeid/TrayPwrD3 TrayPwrD3 to always work with NVIDIA in the backgound. This keeps the NVIDIA GPU alive but also drains battery faster. And there is no poaint in that as it renders Optimus useless!So, manufacturers have to come up with a fix.Thank you.

Reported Models:

• Acer VN7-793G

• Acer Nitro 5 (AN515-51-536M)

• Acer Nitro 5, i5 7300HQ, GTX1050 Ti

• Acer Predator Helios 300 (PH317-51)

• ASUS N580VD

• Asus GL503VD

• Asus GL503

• Alienware 13 R3

• Alienware 17 R4

• Dell 7567

• Dell XPS L521x
  • Dell Inspiron 15 Gaming 7577

• Dell 7510 (Early 2017)

• Gigabyte Aero15W

• GIGABYTE P37XV6

• Gigabyte P35 v6

• Gigabyte Aero 15

• HP Omen 15

• HP Omen HD630 + GTX1050

• HP Pavilion

• Lenovo Y720

• Lenovo Y520

• Lenovo W530
  • Lenovo P51 Xeon

• MSI GE63VR 7RF Raider 4K
  • MSI GS60 2PE

• MSI GS43VR 7RE

• MSI GS63VR 4K

• MSI GS73VR 7RG Stealth Pro

• MSI GS73VR 7RF

• MSI GP62MVR 7RF

• MSI GE72MVR 7RG

• MSI GE73VR 7RE

• MSI GE73VR 7RF

• MSI GP72MVR

• MSI GX63VR

• Monster ABRA A7 V7.2 (Clevo)

• Razer Blade 14

• Razer Blade 14 2017

• Razer Blade 2017

• Samsung Odyssey i7 7700 + GTX 1050

• XMG A517-dnj
  • XMG P507

Non-Effected Models:

• MSI PL62 7RC

Effected Windows Versions:

• W...
1 Solution
Bryce__Intel
Employee

Hello folks,

Thank you for your patience while we investigated this further. I understand the frustrations caused by this issue and apologize for the inconvenience it may be bringing you. By now, most of you have installed our latest graphics driver (https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/27650 15.65.5.4982) and seen the right-click desktop issue resolved (and some other right-click stutters as well).

After implementing the code change, we noticed there were some remaining right-click stutters happening in various areas of the OS experience and that's what we've been investigating until now; we wanted to be very clear if we were still contributing to them. We've now concluded that we are not, we're only in the stack 1 millisecond which is acceptable and the remaining time is from other parties and the three others in the stack, to the best of my knowledge are aware, investigating, and treating this with high priority.

This concludes Intel's investigation so I'm now considering this thread closed, though Intel will remain in communication with the other parties to assist in any way we can should they desire.

Special thanks to coolrecep for reporting this and all the others helping with config details and testing so we could improve our drivers as quickly as possible. We value all of your contributions.

.:Bryce:.

View solution in original post

715 Replies
MBong1
Beginner

this indicator doesn't show the real utilization of GPU , in some laptops there is a LED indicating wich GPU the system is using, even if this LED indicate a transition between integrated and dedicated GPU ( and then .... a freeze ) this indicator never change , showing the dedicated GPU always off.

0 Kudos
RBalt1
New Contributor I

Did a fresh install and as expected, it does not solve anything at all.

0 Kudos
DSchu7
Beginner

blub blub bla bla...

Stop your insinuations. I never said that I had an idea about the problem. The only only thing that I know is, that my problem is gone.

Before, I always had to set the dedicated graphics card as "first Choice" in Nvidia Control Panel and start TrayPwrD3. That's why my fans are always turned on, so you could hear them in excel and while surfing. Very annoying. And the icon in the lower right corner was coloured. Therefore, dedicated graphics card was always on. It's still your issue, if your problem still exists. Mine is gone. Very unkind manner. bye

0 Kudos
AlHill
Super User

For all concerned, there are .

Read them.

Doc

0 Kudos
GPösc
Beginner

So here, is my try with the new Nvidia Driver Update on my Acer Nitro 5:

BIOS: V1.13

Win 10 Pro: 1709 (16299.309)

Nvidia: 391.24

Intel: 23.20.16.4944

It seems slightly better now, the right click is much better but not gone at all.

I have still stutters and mouse lags but it seems not as often and long as before.

I have no Colour Video Issues on Youtube etc. so far.

The CPU runs also in normal frequences, there is nothing unusual.

I wish good Luck to all of us and thanks for this Thread.

0 Kudos
AShak4
Novice

Back to 1709 . app launchung causes lag again but at least i have latest updates of win10.

The lack of updates mean that intel stopped working on this?

0 Kudos
MMora7
Novice

What is the intel driver version you guys have?

My is: 22.20.16.4735

0 Kudos
smoha251
New Contributor I

U sure? Is it fixed??

0 Kudos
smoha251
New Contributor I

Could u give ur specs and driver info please

0 Kudos
DSchu7
Beginner

Acer Predator PH317-51

Predator Helios 300

Microsoft Windows 10 Home (x64) Build 16299.309 (1709/RS3)

Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-7300HQ CPU @ 2.50GHz

Intel HM175 (Skylake PCH-H)

BIOS Date: 12/26/2017

BIOS Version: V1.13

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050 Ti (GP107M)

Intel HD Graphics 630 (Kaby Lake-H GT2) - Integrated Graphics Controller

0 Kudos
MMora7
Novice

Nvidia: 391.24

Intel: 22.20.16.4735 (07/07/2017, windows dont let me install most recent drivers, keep instal this under windows update)

Windows 10 comp 1709 (all updates)

Still having lag and freezes...

0 Kudos
CJohn19
Novice

This issue is solely caused by Windows 10 itself, more specifically the WDDM 2.0 introduced in Windows 10. In their release notes Nvidia says that for example "clone mode across graphics processors is handled by the Windows OS, and not by the NVIDIA driver." This is exactly why i'm sceptical about this Intel fix, and it's most probably why it is taking so long for them to make progress. The problem is at a kernel level, you can't fix a hole in the ground by putting a rug over it.

RLasm1
Novice

Windows Build 17127.rs4_release.180318-0047

Nvidia driver 391.24

Intel Driver: 23.20.16.4973

Bug still exists with latest drivers and latest build from windows insider program.

YKuşc
Novice

I can confirm that stutters still exist with the last nvidia driver 391.24. (Dell 7577 : 7700hq + 1060 max Q)

JTest5
Beginner

Hi,

Adding info to the list noting difference that this hardware is NVIDIA GeForce GT 640M instead of GTX 10xx as in thread title.

Dell XPS L521x

Intel i7-3632QM (HD4000 graphics)

Chipset HM77

NVIDIA GT 640M

Currently Windows 10 1709 (16299.309)

I experience the same issue as indicated by the example videos and the same workarounds apply. I did not notice the problem before Windows 1709. Restoring to an earlier 1703 image does not have the problem but it comes back as soon as updates are applied.

Thanks coolrecep for maintaining this thread and to all those working towards a fix.

Sorry if this hardware was mentioned before or elsewhere. I started skipping pages after reading the first 20 or so pages.

smoha251
New Contributor I

May be intel never worked on this..?

0 Kudos
AlHill
Super User

Or maybe they were busy coordinating with Microsoft...

Doc

0 Kudos
RBalt1
New Contributor I

4973 driver is the outcome of their first work. Intel IS working the solution but I believe they have realized that they can't solve the problem. Probably, it is up to Microsoft to solve it. I'll release some information on this later today.

0 Kudos
CBara3
Beginner

The same with me HP Omen HD630 + GTX1050. The solution to the problem is to disable Intel from the context menu.

Clean Windows, uploaded drivers from Intel the latest .65. Reboot. Everything works smoothly. In the meantime, Windows downloads drivers for the GTX1050 with the .8878 ending. Reboot. Everything works smoothly. Installs the latest NVIDIA drivers. Everything works for a few minutes and the problem starts.

Best of all, it did not happen on a regular disk, and windows worked well. The problem only occurs after replacing the disk with SSD. In addition to the lag, all applications start from the start menu and taskbar for 5-6 seconds. After disabling Intel from the context menu, all applications start in a second as per SSD disk. Maybe there is a problem somewhere?

P.S. Every driver and bios up to date in my case.

0 Kudos
MBong1
Beginner

thanks for the advice! how did you disable the intel entry in context menu ?

0 Kudos
CBara3
Beginner

From here my system works almost perfectly normal. Icon can u find also there where is watch if u need to change setting.

https://itechify.com/2015/09/14/how-to-fix-windows-10-desktop-right-click-lag-issue/ How To Fix Windows 10 Right Click Lag Issue -

0 Kudos