Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20728 Discussions

dGPU Switch and Freeze Problem

RBalt1
New Contributor I

Hi,

there is a problem with laptops which have Intel CPU + GTX 1050/1050Ti/1060/1070/GT 640M. The problem is, whenever you try to do some action on the OS, discrete GPU is triggered and it causes a 0.5s freeze.

Some actions, which cause the dGPU to wake up and lock up the whole system for about 0,5 seconds are:

• Left click on battery-icon in task-bar
  • Opening Chrome-browser
  • Opening Windows Image Viewer (app + classic Foto viewer)
  • Opening system control panel
  • Provocation any animation on task bar (e.g. thumbnail-preview, ...)
  • Loading a new tab in Firefox

Here is a video demonstrating Display Setting Freeze:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b7K1SpCQgAY https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b7K1SpCQgAY

Another video showing dGPU switch on a lot of simple tasks:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-euiZmHZwlc https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-euiZmHZwlc

Another one:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=txQZWfWFhlc https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=txQZWfWFhlc

We have tried updating every software possible, but no luck.

• Intel driver
  • NVIDIA driver
  • Chipset driver
  • BIOS
  • Firmware

The problem can be found on all laptop brands: ASUS, Acer, Clevo, Dell, Gigabyte, HP, Lenovo, MSI, Razer.The problem can be solved by either disabling Intel GPU, which forces the system to always work with NVIDIA, or disabling NVIDIA GPU. Both of them is not an option though, as if you disable Intel, not only you will drain the battery faster, but also some games will stop working. If you disable NVIDIA, then what is the point of buying a laptop with a discrete GPU?There is a also a workaround: configuring https://github.com/jobeid/TrayPwrD3 TrayPwrD3 to always work with NVIDIA in the backgound. This keeps the NVIDIA GPU alive but also drains battery faster. And there is no poaint in that as it renders Optimus useless!So, manufacturers have to come up with a fix.Thank you.

Reported Models:

• Acer VN7-793G

• Acer Nitro 5 (AN515-51-536M)

• Acer Nitro 5, i5 7300HQ, GTX1050 Ti

• Acer Predator Helios 300 (PH317-51)

• ASUS N580VD

• Asus GL503VD

• Asus GL503

• Alienware 13 R3

• Alienware 17 R4

• Dell 7567

• Dell XPS L521x
  • Dell Inspiron 15 Gaming 7577

• Dell 7510 (Early 2017)

• Gigabyte Aero15W

• GIGABYTE P37XV6

• Gigabyte P35 v6

• Gigabyte Aero 15

• HP Omen 15

• HP Omen HD630 + GTX1050

• HP Pavilion

• Lenovo Y720

• Lenovo Y520

• Lenovo W530
  • Lenovo P51 Xeon

• MSI GE63VR 7RF Raider 4K
  • MSI GS60 2PE

• MSI GS43VR 7RE

• MSI GS63VR 4K

• MSI GS73VR 7RG Stealth Pro

• MSI GS73VR 7RF

• MSI GP62MVR 7RF

• MSI GE72MVR 7RG

• MSI GE73VR 7RE

• MSI GE73VR 7RF

• MSI GP72MVR

• MSI GX63VR

• Monster ABRA A7 V7.2 (Clevo)

• Razer Blade 14

• Razer Blade 14 2017

• Razer Blade 2017

• Samsung Odyssey i7 7700 + GTX 1050

• XMG A517-dnj
  • XMG P507

Non-Effected Models:

• MSI PL62 7RC

Effected Windows Versions:

• W...
1 Solution
Bryce__Intel
Employee

Hello folks,

Thank you for your patience while we investigated this further. I understand the frustrations caused by this issue and apologize for the inconvenience it may be bringing you. By now, most of you have installed our latest graphics driver (https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/27650 15.65.5.4982) and seen the right-click desktop issue resolved (and some other right-click stutters as well).

After implementing the code change, we noticed there were some remaining right-click stutters happening in various areas of the OS experience and that's what we've been investigating until now; we wanted to be very clear if we were still contributing to them. We've now concluded that we are not, we're only in the stack 1 millisecond which is acceptable and the remaining time is from other parties and the three others in the stack, to the best of my knowledge are aware, investigating, and treating this with high priority.

This concludes Intel's investigation so I'm now considering this thread closed, though Intel will remain in communication with the other parties to assist in any way we can should they desire.

Special thanks to coolrecep for reporting this and all the others helping with config details and testing so we could improve our drivers as quickly as possible. We value all of your contributions.

.:Bryce:.

View solution in original post

715 Replies
AShak4
Novice

Does this mean that the issue will be fixed with the latest update? Can anyonr test latest insider build?

If we set the rules mannualy to tell which gpu to use , does this mean that nvidia optimus is not needed anymore? Everything will be done through windows settings?

0 Kudos
İKÖSE
Beginner

The latest version is worse than ever. (1803 - 17133.1)

0 Kudos
YKuşc
Novice

Can you set the Gpu to an app or game like it is shown above ?

0 Kudos
AShak4
Novice

This is my question as well

Can you set the Gpu to an app or game like it is shown above ? Check the image above.

If you can , can you please test it and tell us if the freeze is gone when you manually set the app with a gpu ?

0 Kudos
RBalt1
New Contributor I

Yes you can but this is not a solution. 1803 does not solve the issue.

And thank you Microsoft for making things worse because as more and more people install 1803, we will have more supporters here.1709 made things worse and 1803 is taking the issue to whole another level. I experience extreme lags.

0 Kudos
AShak4
Novice

1607 also has more lag than 1703. It seeems random the intensity of the issue. Theu probably dont knwo what they are doing. It could mean that right click fix was random as well, this is why it is not mentioned in the release log

Maybe we just have to deal with it that the issue wont be fixed or anytime soon . if it can be fixed after 2 years it doesnt mean anything to me , laptops dont have a lot of life span

0 Kudos
AHabi3
Novice

Maybe we should wait for drivers from manufacturer or Intel/Nvidia that's made to perform better on latest Windows release like Fall and Creators. as well as other components. Maybe then we will see a change? Only time will tell by the first week of the big release of Spring

0 Kudos
MMora7
Novice

Fload the tweeter of mike Ybarra...

https://twitter.com/XboxQwik/status/982301430114549762?s=19 Mike Ybarra on Twitter: "Did you know with the latest Windows 10 update (soon to be released!) you can set GPU affinity …

Perhaps it will help... Give a try

0 Kudos
JOliv21
Novice

So hello everyone im an owner of a msi gl62vr 7rfx and since november 2017.

current drivers: latest whql nvidia driver (with no audio driver from nvidia and no geforce experience)

latest intel hd

From what i've found so far all my freezes are associated with nvidia drivers and windows crap 10, how can i say this, easy, clean install, with every driver but nvidia drivers = zero bugs, input lag, stutters. the moment i install nvidia drivers they start.

so come on 1+1 =what ? 3?....

difficult brands? nooo...

i want to say that for me this situation with all brands beeing affected by this stutters and freezes is just a big amount of bull.... , im an engineering student, one thing we need to know is to find solutions and another thing is to know how to look for solutions. also very important , TESTING AND SUPPORT for ur clients!!!! so all these brands launched a product into the market and dont know about this bugs? right... No, they all knew and their support =0 their humbility =0, we are facing this since what?pretty much the launch day of any intel+nvidia pascal laptop more than half year people and solutions from brands = 0!!! what are ur employees doing?

And what really is annoying is that no one in the business is talking about this, no reviewers, no youtubers, no press talk whaat? We are talking about tons and tons o money in products that dont work properly out of the box... still i we have a ton of pages in the net with people reporting this... every week a new pascal+ intel laptop is launched and for sure if it have a gtx 1050 or greater, for sure doom.

In my case my machine only work properly two ways- ether i disable nvidia in device manager --> crap battery life(i dont understand how i disable the gtx1060 and it consumes more energy than if i have it active, 1h.30 bat vs 3h.30bat but with freezes)

or i have the nvidia gpu always running ---> again crap batttery life close to 1h.30-2h

if i have both of them active and choose in nvidia panel to use intel or auto i get like 3h + of battery life (depending on usage) but with thoose constant freezes and input lag, if i have a game open like Hearthstone for example and a youtube video open, the audio from youtube gets broken... constant gpu led indicator jumping from orange to blue(orange - nvidia , blue -intel )

msi intel nvidia microsoft ???

in my case my laptop was +1000euros, for sure there are here people wih +2000 euros machines, this situation is not acceptable...

So from what i can tell and others too have proven it, all our problems are caused by DPC, mainly related to kernel stuff( and somecases bad wifi or lan drivers too), but mainly in this machines the problem comes from nvidia driver. must say i think i found somewhat one of the problems for some of the DPC caused by their driver, and its caused by windows scalling, in my case if put windows scaling back to 100% (i had 125% by default) i no longer have freezes when open battery tab or the notification tab,(EDIT:they came back )

others are still here like when i open google chrome for example. i really hope they fix this all soon and i hope that that people get together if they dont because there is alot of people around the world right know that are facing with this crap and theres is alot of money in cause. I really hope too that all the important and known people in the business talk about this and share this stuff because its simply ridiculous it kinda make me think of apple instead that their community make alot more noise and they end up fixing their crap bugs within weeks... so shame on u microsoft and nvidia. (apple ur are no good to dont even think about it)

other thing that i find a bit stupid is the way windows, controls the speedstep of the cpu, come on intel/microsoft if i buy an i7 7700hq i want a quad core always , not just some dumb dual core turboboosted crap(that all it can do good is to get hot), tell me how many times did a normal -to advance user benefit from having a 3500mhz dual core instead of a 3400mhz quad core when???... i look at intel specs for the cpu and it says that the max quad core freq is 3400mhz so why the hell does windows push the cpu to 3500+mhz forcing it to dual core or even single core... i need to use third party progs to control all this ... and cant even use it at 3400mhz ... throttlestop wont be able to force the multi, it can only disable turboboost so 2800mhz 4cores 8 threads(maybe newer version can)... even for saving bat this cpu at 800mhz its capable of doing most of the task i wanna do while on bat, but even then i cant make it stay at 800mhz, it jumps to 1400mhz or so auto, this is bull.... give us control over this stuff its easy... make your customers smarter not dumber... teach them how to use your products corretly and most important make your product work properly. (i think asus users will not face this asus i think they will go to 3400mhz, others i think they do, mostly). But this stuff with cpu freq beeing messed up is also a reason for many people to having problems when playing games with these machines... and is a very simple thing for brands to solve and they know it, they dont care in fact they do it this way so that products fail easier over time... shame on u intel

In the end we customers get f..... as always... this situation is driving me a mad

sorry for my bad english

edit:

As for why windows keeps popping our nvidia cards when its not needed, well we can easly see that most games and apps nowadays use same stuff that games use so many time the system dont know what ur are using, when microsoft implemented this the should have thought of this the way that user defines what is a game and what is not giving control to the user to use the hardware he wants, and not the hardware the windows thinks you want... they seem to get to that conclusion as it seems from the post above about the new update, but i hope they fix they way windows kernel interacts with the gpu because the other stuff i can do in nvidia panel... prove me wrong pls i hope

0 Kudos
TAzam
Novice

I was looking for a workaround for quite sometime. Thought the problem was related with Realtek audio drivers, Intel HD Graphics, Nvidia drivers, even WiFi Drivers and all that. Eventually I gave up looking for a fix and was quite content with keeping TrayPwrD3 running in the background keeping dGPU idle and running. Until I installed Auslogics and disabled unnecessary windows services last night and did some cleaning and defragment to my SSHD and I was suprised that the issue was finally gone.

These was some of the tweaks I applied and do not know specifically which one is responsible with solving the problem:

• Increased shutdown speed.
  • Optimized Internet parameters (Auto).
  • Applied launch startup items with no delay.
  • Disabled error reporting service.
  • Disabled offline files service.
  • Disabled SMSrouter service.
  • Disabled PhoneSvc service.
  • Disabled dmwappushservice.
  • Applied speed up menu opening.
  • Speed up closing of Metro apps.
  • Applied Manage Prefetch.
  • Disabled Orientation sensor.
  • P2P update mode.
  • Disabled telemetry.
  • Disabled WiFi sense.
  • Applied Mouse boost.
  • Enabled Aero peak.
  • Disabled Sync tools.

So I conclude that maybe the freezing was related to phone or tablet pc components or some poorly tweaked parameters in windows manager related to timing and animation speed.

I won't go on with details and installing this software is not needed. But it did a realy good job even when it was by a mere luck. IT DID FIX IT.

ADear
Beginner

Can you tell us more details please? Are you sure that there is no lag 100%?

Did you test it with Nv Optimus Test Viewer??

Can these components be disabled by Device manager and how?

Thanks a lot for sharing your feedback here!

0 Kudos
RBalt1
New Contributor I

I'll give it a try tomorrow but I'm really not that hopeful.

0 Kudos
AShak4
Novice

Normally i would say that there is no chance that auslogics could fix it but since this is a very strange issue maybe the solution is strange to. I expect anything from Microsoft

0 Kudos
AShak4
Novice

Btw the posts here state that windows 8.1(and linux) have no lags at all

https://www.dell.com/community/XPS/Intel-NVIDIA-Laptop-Freeze-Problem-DONT-ignore-US-Microsoft/td-p/5649953 Intel + NVIDIA Laptop Freeze Problem DONT ignore US Microsoft forum link - Dell Community

0 Kudos
CInte1
Beginner

Shak85 The problem only appears on 6th and 7th gen CPUs which were shipped with Windows 10 and don't have Windows 8.1 drivers to begin with.

0 Kudos
JTest5
Beginner

I have this bug on Ivy Bridge. IMO, it is a Windows bug and affects more than a couple Intel processor generations.

A lot of similar but different bugs started showing up around 1703 impacting IO. One crazy example:

https://randomascii.wordpress.com/2017/07/09/24-core-cpu-and-i-cant-move-my-mouse/ https://randomascii.wordpress.com/2017/07/09/24-core-cpu-and-i-cant-move-my-mouse/

I agree with the OP's classification of "Freeze" , but suspect many are living with this bug and may be using different language to describe it. The following is just for possible search alternatives.

mouse lag mouse stutters jerky mouse mouse jerks .

0 Kudos
RBalt1
New Contributor I

OK, installed Boost Speed.

Performed following:

• Disabled error reporting service.
  • Disabled offline files service.
  • Disabled SMSrouter service.
  • Disabled PhoneSvc service.
  • Disabled dmwappushservice.
  • Speed up closing of Metro apps.
  • Disabled Orientation sensor.
  • Disabled telemetry.
  • Applied Mouse boost.
  • Disabled WiFi sense.
  • Enabled Aero peak.
  • Disabled Sync tools

Did not perform:

• Increased shutdown speed.
  • Optimized Internet parameters (Auto).
  • Applied launch startup items with no delay.

Could not find

• Applied speed up menu opening.
  • Applied Manage Prefetch.
  • P2P update mode.

Restarting now to see...

0 Kudos
RBalt1
New Contributor I

Just as I thought, I've wasted my time only. Does not fix anything at all...

0 Kudos
CInte1
Beginner

I agree, it's probably not exclusive to 6 and 7 gen. However, I've had these problems way before 1703. I think it was there from the beginning and is very much a problem with some core functionality inside Windows 10 which would require a lot of rewriting to get rid of.. Which sucks, because apparently they're not making new Windowses anymore.

0 Kudos
RBalt1
New Contributor I

What? There is a new Windows nearly every 6 months... 1803 coming this month. The thing is, they do not care about the issue yet:

https://twitter.com/NorthFaceHiker/status/950413943159250944 Jason on Twitter: "This item, as compared to new work being done as well as bugs being fixed, is not a large concern in …

And BTW, Jason was the only person to respond to my tweets. We will probably contact him again by the end of the month, when Intel tells us that they do not own fixing the issue...

0 Kudos