Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20651 Discussions

dGPU Switch and Freeze Problem

RBalt1
New Contributor I

Hi,

there is a problem with laptops which have Intel CPU + GTX 1050/1050Ti/1060/1070/GT 640M. The problem is, whenever you try to do some action on the OS, discrete GPU is triggered and it causes a 0.5s freeze.

Some actions, which cause the dGPU to wake up and lock up the whole system for about 0,5 seconds are:

• Left click on battery-icon in task-bar
  • Opening Chrome-browser
  • Opening Windows Image Viewer (app + classic Foto viewer)
  • Opening system control panel
  • Provocation any animation on task bar (e.g. thumbnail-preview, ...)
  • Loading a new tab in Firefox

Here is a video demonstrating Display Setting Freeze:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b7K1SpCQgAY https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b7K1SpCQgAY

Another video showing dGPU switch on a lot of simple tasks:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-euiZmHZwlc https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-euiZmHZwlc

Another one:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=txQZWfWFhlc https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=txQZWfWFhlc

We have tried updating every software possible, but no luck.

• Intel driver
  • NVIDIA driver
  • Chipset driver
  • BIOS
  • Firmware

The problem can be found on all laptop brands: ASUS, Acer, Clevo, Dell, Gigabyte, HP, Lenovo, MSI, Razer.The problem can be solved by either disabling Intel GPU, which forces the system to always work with NVIDIA, or disabling NVIDIA GPU. Both of them is not an option though, as if you disable Intel, not only you will drain the battery faster, but also some games will stop working. If you disable NVIDIA, then what is the point of buying a laptop with a discrete GPU?There is a also a workaround: configuring https://github.com/jobeid/TrayPwrD3 TrayPwrD3 to always work with NVIDIA in the backgound. This keeps the NVIDIA GPU alive but also drains battery faster. And there is no poaint in that as it renders Optimus useless!So, manufacturers have to come up with a fix.Thank you.

Reported Models:

• Acer VN7-793G

• Acer Nitro 5 (AN515-51-536M)

• Acer Nitro 5, i5 7300HQ, GTX1050 Ti

• Acer Predator Helios 300 (PH317-51)

• ASUS N580VD

• Asus GL503VD

• Asus GL503

• Alienware 13 R3

• Alienware 17 R4

• Dell 7567

• Dell XPS L521x
  • Dell Inspiron 15 Gaming 7577

• Dell 7510 (Early 2017)

• Gigabyte Aero15W

• GIGABYTE P37XV6

• Gigabyte P35 v6

• Gigabyte Aero 15

• HP Omen 15

• HP Omen HD630 + GTX1050

• HP Pavilion

• Lenovo Y720

• Lenovo Y520

• Lenovo W530
  • Lenovo P51 Xeon

• MSI GE63VR 7RF Raider 4K
  • MSI GS60 2PE

• MSI GS43VR 7RE

• MSI GS63VR 4K

• MSI GS73VR 7RG Stealth Pro

• MSI GS73VR 7RF

• MSI GP62MVR 7RF

• MSI GE72MVR 7RG

• MSI GE73VR 7RE

• MSI GE73VR 7RF

• MSI GP72MVR

• MSI GX63VR

• Monster ABRA A7 V7.2 (Clevo)

• Razer Blade 14

• Razer Blade 14 2017

• Razer Blade 2017

• Samsung Odyssey i7 7700 + GTX 1050

• XMG A517-dnj
  • XMG P507

Non-Effected Models:

• MSI PL62 7RC

Effected Windows Versions:

• W...
1 Solution
Bryce__Intel
Employee

Hello folks,

Thank you for your patience while we investigated this further. I understand the frustrations caused by this issue and apologize for the inconvenience it may be bringing you. By now, most of you have installed our latest graphics driver (https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/27650 15.65.5.4982) and seen the right-click desktop issue resolved (and some other right-click stutters as well).

After implementing the code change, we noticed there were some remaining right-click stutters happening in various areas of the OS experience and that's what we've been investigating until now; we wanted to be very clear if we were still contributing to them. We've now concluded that we are not, we're only in the stack 1 millisecond which is acceptable and the remaining time is from other parties and the three others in the stack, to the best of my knowledge are aware, investigating, and treating this with high priority.

This concludes Intel's investigation so I'm now considering this thread closed, though Intel will remain in communication with the other parties to assist in any way we can should they desire.

Special thanks to coolrecep for reporting this and all the others helping with config details and testing so we could improve our drivers as quickly as possible. We value all of your contributions.

.:Bryce:.

View solution in original post

715 Replies
smoha251
New Contributor I

Intel drivers do not exist for windows 8.1 for 7 gen processors.

0 Kudos
smoha251
New Contributor I

I guess we have to mod the drivers to work with

0 Kudos
smoha251
New Contributor I

Does anybody know modding drivers?

0 Kudos
AHabi3
Novice

Driver ending 5018 got released. It's day 498 now and still issue not fixed. Food and resources are running low. Send help ASAP.

On the other hand, this driver has Vulkan v1.1.70 which is cool I guess

AShak4
Novice

Guys we just have to realise and live with it. They dont plan to fix it and as soon we get used to it the better. I m just tired really , eventually one day we will receive an very small update that eventually fix this by random and enjoy our very expensive laptops for as long they last.

0 Kudos
RBalt1
New Contributor I

Tired? Tell me bro

I'm patient. I'll wait until the end of April, the time Intel's ETA period ends. And then we will talk with Microsoft. During the RS5 Insider phase, we will get a fix, hopefully.

0 Kudos
AShak4
Novice

My mistake with the word tired since i only got the laptop few months ago

How can we talk with Microsoft when they dont even bother answering their tweets? They have about 1500 users with this problem, the got informed by intel and nvidia and still this issue is low priority. They have deadlines to deliver the next insider build maybe plans before hand and if this bug will delay them a lot , they cant get off track of their deadlines. I m not sure that a patch can fix this

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

It does seem like neither MS, Nvidia nor Intel take this issue seriously.

Like coolrecep said, I think we should wait until end of this month to see if they fix the issue. However, if this does not get fixed and we get no further information, I really think that we should do more than posting our complaints in this forum.

If "enough" people (although +1500 people reporting same problem, clearly it is NOT enough for those companies) alert these companies how this issue has been causing some inconvenience, they might EVENTUALLY consider this issue as priority, who knows.

If this issue does not get fixed by end the of this month, why don't we advertise how un-caring these companies are towards their customers who spent >1k on their laptops just to see them stutter? Maybe we can alert peolple out there who are experiencing these issue but just "live with it" that these companies do recognize the issue but fail to address it. Or we can try contacting some online tech media about this issue... I dunno... any ideas?

I am honestly getting sick of this and disappointed these comapnies' attitude toward this matter.

AShak4
Novice

Unless you are a partner of Microsoft they won't deal with your issue , at least not anytime soon. This is just business.

If you are a partner especially a gold partner and issue a bug or something it will get fixed pretty fast, if you are just a consumer then you are out of luck. You don't get premium support.

The problem is that companies most of them won't buy these laptops for their employees. Most of the laptops are gaming laptops with very high spces , therefore only the consumers can ask for this to be fixed.

We can only wait until the supporters number gets bigger and bigger and eventually Microsoft will decide to put this issue in their plans.

0 Kudos
CInte1
Beginner

I'll just "vote with my wallet." I will never buy an Intel + Nvidia laptop. In fact, I will probably either get an AMD + AMD laptop or a Macbook next time.

0 Kudos
AArbo1
Novice

I agree maybe even start a petition and try and get a major computer magazine to mention it as bad press should get them to do something about it, especially if it cuts down their bottom line.

RBalt1
New Contributor I

We don't need a second petition I think. Everyone needs to go to this thread and click on the "I have the same question button".

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-hardware/mobile-gtx-1060-freeze-problem/93e7004a-62b1-4211-8e37-4c136608865e?auth=1 Intel + NVIDIA Laptop Freeze Problem - Microsoft Community

And with the mass release of 1803, we will have tons of more people coming as it makes things even worse.

VGonc
Beginner

'Everyone needs to go to this thread and click on the "I have the same question button".

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-hardware/mobile-gtx-1060-freeze-problem/93e7004a-62b1-4211-8e37-4c136608865e%3Fauth%3D1 Intel + NVIDIA Laptop Freeze Problem - Microsoft Community

And with the mass release of 1803, we will have tons of more people coming as it makes things even worse."

Could you add this to the original post please?

0 Kudos
AShak4
Novice

Btw i have strange issue

When in battery saver i notice some stutter and in some cases low fps . it is not constant but occasionally. I noticed this mostly with older games which are not demanding whereas battlefield 1 plays fine which is more demanding.

I am also using Windows 10 Ltsb 1607

Anyone else having similar issues ?

0 Kudos
TNowa4
Novice

Hi there,

Been some time since I wrote something.

Installed some 5018 drivers from station-drivers today and just finished playing CS:Go. I feel like it's working flawlessly now. Using 1803 build for Windows 10 by the way.

0 Kudos
AShak4
Novice

What about the freezes ?

Btw regarding my previous post , when laptop is plugged in games work great. When in battery they stutter even low demanding games.

I have Dell 7567 with 1050ti. I think this may have to do with the fact that windows 10 ltsb have only battery save and plugged in plans whereas windows 10 1709 had more cpu states.

Can anyone confirm this? Anyway to fix this? I remember in 1709 using battery saver there was a slider towrds better performance . in 1607 there isnt one

0 Kudos
CInte1
Beginner

That's normal and how it should work. Laptops throttle down when on battery. Has nothing to do with this post. You actually want it that way, because otherwise it will drain in less than an hour.

0 Kudos
AShak4
Novice

Thanks for the info

Is just with windows 1709 games played smoothly on battery. I will try and fidle around with the power plan settings

Regarding your post not buying again another laptop with similar specs, that means that we already lost 1000+ dollars. In my case it was 1300 euros. By not buying one person it wont make any change. The fact is that we bought a faulty product software wise and we are trapped. If we return it we cant buy anything from this cpu series and nvidia.

Is it possible fixed pcs not laptops to have this issue? Theoritically it should if they jave optimus but practically there is no reason to not using dgpu all the time

0 Kudos
EShel2
Beginner

I have one question about this problem, I had my laptop for about 3 months and it ran everything beautifully and smoothly without the stutter. A few weeks ago it just randomly started to stutter and freeze. It sounds like the same problem being described here, but I was wondering if it is possible for the problem to randomly start instead of it starting as soon as you use the computer, or if I acquired a completely different problem.

0 Kudos
BSony
Novice

Quick Update (for 7700HQ + GTX1060), the game Rocket League works perfect with the new nvidia drivers, so the problem was from nvidia on Rocket League.

I also own a 6700HQ + GTX 960M, not once I had a freeze, with every windows 10 version. The machine works perfect and the battery lasts about 5 hours, in internet navigation. So I really don't know what to say if this is Microsoft's fault or intel's.

0 Kudos
VGonc
Beginner

I'd suggest to contact some bloggers and let them know about the situation and ask them to make a post with this. I could do it but I need to have a normal message with the problem explanation because my English is not good enough, after if they'd get interested I can handle it or I could text back in PM to someone who wants to assist me.

0 Kudos