Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20494 Discussions

why is ffmpeg encode performance for IceLake not as advertised?

hewid
Beginner

Hi,

I am getting poor encode performance with ffmpeg also much like coffee lake 3d utilization is very high during encode. I was under the impression IceLake has dedicated encode instance that no longer uses graphics. Is ffmpeg working properly or is this still a limitation in IceLake?

Thanks!

0 Kudos
10 Replies
AdrianM_Intel

Hello hewid,

Thank you for posting on the Intel® communities.  

Please run the following tool and attach the report generated.

1. Intel® System Support Utility (Intel® SSU) 

• Intel® SSU Download link 
  • Open the application and click on "Scan" to see the system and device information. By default, Intel® SSU will take you to the "Summary View". 
  • Click on the menu where it says "Summary" to change to "Detailed View". 
  • To save your scan, click on "Next", then "Save". 

Questions:

• Where did you see the advertisement for IceLake encoding? please share a link.
  • Can you please provide us some screenshots/videos in order to see the high utilization? how are you monitoring the 3D utilization?
  • What is the MPEG being used? (MPEG-1, MPEG-2, MPEG-3, MPEG-4) and the resolution? 

Best regards,

Adrian M.

Intel Customer Support Technician

0 Kudos
game_bài_đổi_thưởng

Hi, I also wonder like you and thank you @hewid for answering

0 Kudos
hewid
Beginner

I do not recall where i saw the specs. What are your advertised specs?

using windows task manager to see utilization

codec being used is HEVC and 1920x1080

Thanks!

0 Kudos
AdrianM_Intel

Hello hewid,

Thank you for your reply.

Could you please share the  Intel® System Support Utility (Intel® SSU)? so we can see your system set up and check more information about the codecs.

• Which of the following HEVC are you using? H.261, H.262, H.263, H.264, H.265?
  • Have you tested a different encoding software? if yes what is the name of the software, does it have the same behavior?

Best regards,

Adrian M.

0 Kudos
hewid
Beginner

Hi Ardian,

I have shared the SSU report in the previous post

HEVC and H265 are the same thing

I have only used ffmpeg. If you want me to test other software can you suggest other software that uses Intel's quick sync engine

0 Kudos
hewid
Beginner

here is the SSU report again

0 Kudos
AdrianM_Intel

Hello hewid,

Based on the datasheet 10th Gen Intel® Core™ Processor Families Datasheet, Vol. 1 (Page 86 Table 8-2) the hardware acceleration decoding supported is HEVC/265 2160p (8bit) and others, however, bear in mind that Video compression is a highly complex process defined by international standards Software-based, encoding takes a significant amount of time or consumes a lot of power and resources which has a big impact so it's expected to get high GPU utilization. The screenshot provided shows the CPU usage is low which is good since video encoding consumes a lot of resources.

Best regards,

Adrian M.

0 Kudos
hewid
Beginner

Thanks for your reply Adrian

I am not talking about decode performance. Like i mentioned earlier Encode performance is the issue. Is there an expert in the quick sync IP i can speak with?

I am not looking to asses whether the utilization being low is good or bad. I am saying ffmpeg encode perfformance use quick syn hw is performing poorly. Also the 3d utilization is very high which does not make sense because the chip should be using it dedicated hw (aka quick sync/ video core) not the 3d shaders.

Regards,

Hedra

0 Kudos
AdrianM_Intel

Hello hewid,

Intel Customer Support can't comment on benchmarking since every system configuration is different.

Regarding the advertisement the Official, advertised specs are published here https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/products/docs/processors/core/10th-gen-core-mobile-processors-brief.html

It's worth mentioning that the behavior you are seeing is dependant on driver optimization and Application support. Try with other applications (per example Handbrake or others) that may already be updated to take advantage of all the QuickSync capabilities of this new GPU.

Often times apps need for the devs to update them to optimize them for new hardware/technologies.

Best regards,

Adrian M.

0 Kudos
AdrianM_Intel

Hello hewid,

Were you able to check the previous post? 

Best regards,

Adrian M.

0 Kudos