Intel® ARC™ Graphics
Get answers to your questions or issues when gaming on the world’s best discrete video cards with the latest news surrounding Intel® ARC™ Graphics
1808 Discussions

Arc has issues with everything that uses Hardware acceleration

Saveno
New Contributor I

I really like the Arc, but ever since i bought one earlier this year i constantly have problems with everything that uses Hardware acceleration.

For example:

When i use any browser and watch a video, my monitor turns black for a second from time to time. Sometimes it also happens that videos start sliding from left to right across the screen (next time it happens i will try to record it).

Same issue with Steam, Discord and GamePass, i have to disable Hardware acceleration there as well.

And rendering in After Effects via GPU acceleration often results in the program crashing and sometimes it even freezes my whole PC. 

Games on the other hand all work fine and don't cause any problems. The problem seems to be related to playing videos in any program with hardware acceleration.

Some more info

I have reinstalled Windows multiple times ever since.

Already used DDU a dozen times.

ReBar is of course enabled and functions.

Happens when screen is connected via HDMI or DisplayPort

When this happens, i often notice that Desktop Windows Manager suddenly starts taking a **bleep**ton of Ram and has to be restarted.

I used OCCT to check my CPU, RAM, GPU + VRAM and i did not get a single error.

When i tried to find a solution online, i also often read that it got fixed after people disabled hardware-accelerated GPU scheduling and that this issue also seems to happen on other GPUs and not just Intel ones. There are reddit threads for example that report the same problem on AMD and Nvidia cards and that the problem was always the Driver.  

26 Replies
PetBB
Beginner

I have this bug on NUC 12 Enthusiast. It started with some driver change about 4 months ago. I had to switch to integrated graphics because of this. Very annoying. It started with the same driver as the scrolling bug with accelerated videos described here:

https://community.intel.com/t5/Intel-ARC-Graphics/Video-side-rolling-since-31-0-101-5084-while-playing-video-game/td-p/1557070

0 Kudos
Jean_Intel
Employee

Hello Saveno,

Thank you for posting in the Intel Communities to report that you are experiencing multiple issues when using Hardware Acceleration. It would be ideal to mention that we recommend reporting one issue per thread to keep the topics organized, based on this, we will continue assisting you regarding the browser issues when watching videos, and invite you to open individual threads for your other two problems.

To better assist you, we would like to ask for the following:

• What are the affected browsers?
  • Is this related to a specific video website?
  • It would be ideal if you could share a video showing the issue.

We also would like to let you know that there is a newer driver version, so we recommend you install the new driver 31.0.101.5084/31.0.101.5122 for testing purposes. Let us know if the issue remains.

Best regards

Jean O.

Intel Customer Support Technician

0 Kudos
Saveno
New Contributor I
  • What are the affected browsers?

It happens to any browser and any program that uses Hardware acceleration

• Is this related to a specific video website?

No. It even happened with trailers on Steam before turning Hardware acceleration off there.

• It would be ideal if you could share a video showing the issue.

Its the same as from the Link PetBB posted here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-ZsSmNLo8A8

I also already upgraded to the latest driver and it happened again last night. I did some work in After Effects with Software Renderer and had no issues. Then for testing i switched to GPU acceleration and the screen flickering where my screen just turns black for a second every few minutes came back.

And as i said this only happens in applications with Hardware acceleration on but never when i play games or when i have it off.

0 Kudos
Jean_Intel
Employee

Hello Saveno,

Thank you for providing us with the necessary information. We will investigate the matter further internally and keep you updated as soon as we have more details.

Please note that we will continue to assist you with the problem affecting your browsers. Although all the issues seem to be related to the Hardware Acceleration, they are affecting different applications and have different behaviors. Therefore, we suggest opening individual threads for each issue to keep the topics organized and allow for a better understanding of each problem and keep the threads organized.

Best regards

Jean O.

0 Kudos
Jean_Intel
Employee

Hello Saveno,

We would like to jump in the thread to let you know that we continue to look into your issue. We want to let you know that we are currently trying to look into your issue. We will be posting back as soon as we have more details

Best regards

Jean O.

0 Kudos
Jean_Intel
Employee

Hello Paddi242,

We would like to let you know that we have not been able to reproduce this issue after testing on different systems. So we would like to ask for the following:

• Can you confirm if this is reproducible on different displays (monitors, TVs?), and if so provide us with the model numbers?
  • Can you test this with a non-Chromium browser, such as Firefox to see if the issue is specific to Chromium?

Best regards

Jean O.

0 Kudos
Saveno
New Contributor I

I don't have other monitors to test it on. Right now i'm using an LG 24GL600F.

I just did some tests, first with Firefox and the issue doesn't seem to occur. I also ran World of Warcraft in the background since the problem occurs especially often when playing it for some reason.

Then i re-enabled Hardware acceleration in Edge and Steam and run all 3 together. After just a few seconds my screen went black and Edge and Steam had sliding videos again, but the video in Firefox wasn't. Like 30 seconds later my screen turned black again, this time for like 5 seconds and after that everything was normal again. So i guess in that time the driver did simply reset.

But i think that there is something wrong with Hardware acceleration in Firefox anyway. I tested watching an 8k Video and it put the whole load on my CPU even though Hardware acceleration was enabled. In Chrome watching an 8k Video worked normally and only put the Arc under load.

Saveno_0-1705639374823.png

I also found that others have the same problem

Intel Arc a750, video glitch - Intel Community

Video side rolling since 31.0.101.5084 while playing video game - Intel Community

I also remember seeing another post about the problem but i can't find it now so this doesn't seem to be a "me problem".

0 Kudos
Jean_Intel
Employee

Hello Saveno,

Let us review this problem with the new details. We will post back as soon as we have more details about this matter.

Regarding the heavy workload with Firefox when Hardware acceleration is enabled, we recommend you submit a new question regarding this issue, as this is a different issue than the one you experience when using Chrome or Firefox. We recommend reporting one issue per thread since we recommend reporting one issue per thread to keep it organized.

Best regards

Jean O.

0 Kudos
Jean_Intel
Employee

Hello Saveno,

Thank you for your patience while waiting for a response. Given that we have been unable to reproduce the issue, we suggest that you report the problem directly to the Chromium developers. If they determine that the issue is related to the graphics driver, we will be happy to continue assisting you with the matter.

Best regards

Jean O.

0 Kudos
Mirexxx
Beginner

Same problem here. I need to stop all Harware acceleration from all browsers.  i think they are related to video - resolution and refresh rate. 5085 has a big issue even with my second monitor (cant adjust the resolution and the refresh rate). i'm ot an expert but...this is very very annoying .

0 Kudos
Mirexxx
Beginner

Here is another demonstration: LG Oled TV 4k , 60 hz. i used an 8k Thunderbolt -display adapter to make sure the problem is not the cable or monitor.

Main monitor(display 1) is an MSI PRO MP341CQW 34" with 100hz refresh rate.

Harware:  Intel NUC 12 Enthusyast with intel arc a770 -16gb-256bi.

Intel arc driver version: 31.0.101.5085

0 Kudos
Jean_Intel
Employee

Hello Mirexxx,

Thank you for joining the thread. We understand that you are facing a similar issue as Saveno. Based on this, we recommend that you contact the Chromium developers directly for further assistance.

However, we noticed that there is no browser opened in the second video, and you have also mentioned that you are unable to adjust the refresh rate and resolution. Therefore, this may be a different problem. We suggest that you open a new thread so that we can provide you with more personalized assistance.

Best regards

Jean O.

0 Kudos
Mirexxx
Beginner

I am 99,99 % sure this is a Driver problem. I hope Intel release an update soon.. LIke i said in the first video , " i stopped all hardware acceleration form ALL BROWSERS ,and now everything appears to work fine (with the TV i'm still having problems). The problem is the relation between Hardware acceleration - Resolution - Refresh Rate , something is faulty there..

0 Kudos
Jean_Intel
Employee

Hello Mirexxx,

As we mentioned before, we tried replicating this issue internally; unfortunately, we were unable to reproduce the issue. Based on this, we recommend contacting the app developer for further assistance. If they confirm that the problem is related to the graphics driver, we will be happy to continue assisting you with the matter.

Finally, we want to recommend you open a personal thread so we can help you with the issues you are experiencing with your TV.

Best regards

Jean O.

0 Kudos
Mirexxx
Beginner

i'm sorry to tell you...but you guys send me to Edge , Chrome and Brave and Opera to tell them its a hardware acceleration problem !? i just told you the whole BUG up there . now i'm starting to believe that intel don't even try to trust final clients opinion. i tried to tell Intel support the problem and they send me to asus support like a jacka@s , and asus tells me its a driver issue. SO , who should i believe ?

I think it's a big comunication problem between intel and asus , and me, who i just spend 800$ to a Intel NUC i don't lnow what to do. i think i will just send it back i go for another brand who care about clients. This is just dissrespect. 

0 Kudos
Jean_Intel
Employee

Hello Mirexxx,

We understand your frustration on this issue. As we mentioned, we could not replicate the issue when we tested this problem internally, which indicates that the problem may not be related to the driver. The best thing to do in this scenario is to contact the Chromium developers for further support so they can review the issue and determine if there is a problem with their software.

You can just open a personal thread so we can give you more personalized assistance.

Best regards

Jean O.

0 Kudos
Jean_Intel
Employee

Hello Saveno, 

Since we have not heard back from you, then we will proceed to close this thread. We recommend you report the problem directly to the Chromium developers. If you need any additional information, submit a new question, as this thread will no longer be monitored.

Best regards

Jean O.

0 Kudos
Fredmac
Novice

I support the user who is predicting that the recent graphics driver is an issue.  I have 2 Intel NUC 12 Extremes with the ARC grpahics...  With the new released graphic software and drivers I am now in the situation that when the screen goes into power save mode.. It will not come back unless I play with the HDMI cable..  It did not have this problem for the previous couple of years and now after the update.. boom.. I have this grief..  

I share the frustration of being pointed over to ASUS..  (Note the BOIS firmware on the ASUS site is at level 60 .. on the intel site it is 61...

I may try to remove the new software and return to the driver and software that I had before the update...

sigh..  (and the response in the past from Intel seems to be .. we can not find it and let's have the users do all the work!)

I do give you ( Jean_Intel) credit for sticking with this stream ...  well done..  

Maybe a patch to roll back to the previous version would be nice!

regards

Andy

0 Kudos
Fredmac
Novice

Here is new information..  I removed the new version and returned to the version I was on GFX-Win10_Win11-31.0.101.3790...

And the problem with the system not able to enable to exit power saver...  was solved...

So.. I hope that a fix can be found so I can go up to current version of the software...

I wonder if the problem was that the new version did not remove the old version of the graphics software.. and they were fighting over the screen power saver mode...

0 Kudos
vanci
Novice

https://community.intel.com/t5/Graphics/Intel-Arc-A770-16-GB-hardware-acceleration-issue-in-browsers/m-p/1559332#M126839 And I thought I was the only one with this problem... I will say just one thing - Intel has no problem with the integrated graphics in the processor, only with the Ark graphics card. So if more than one user has the same problem, please discuss it with your technical department and/or the Chromium community.

0 Kudos