Intel® Distribution of OpenVINO™ Toolkit
Community assistance about the Intel® Distribution of OpenVINO™ toolkit, OpenCV, and all aspects of computer vision-related on Intel® platforms.
6403 Discussions

NCS2 freezes while inferencing on custom application

harishkumar
Beginner
Hi. I’m working on an application in which multiple openvino pretrained models are used - face-detection-0200 , age-gender-recognition-retail-0013, head-pose-estimation-adas-0001, facial-landmarks-35-adas-0002. Using openvino’s Interactive Face Detection C++ Demo as reference, I developed my application. There’s one difference – I run each model in separate threads. All the models are run on NCS2 stick. The flow goes like this faceDetection( thread 1)->agegenderDetection( thread 2)->headposeDetection( thread 3)->landmarkDetection( thread 3). It randomly gets struck while calling Infer() (occurs mostly in headpose model). No error is thrown. I tried with raspberry and PC with NCS2 stick. It occurs in both the devices. This issue also reproduced in 2021.2, 2021.1 and 2019.4 openvino versions. If I run the same models using Interactive Face Detection C++ Demo application, there’s no issue. Also, I’m not using async method of inferencing. I feel the issue is because of the threads deployed for each model. Am I missing something related to threading?
0 Kudos
7 Replies
Iffa_Intel

Greetings,

We are not sure that it is correct usage way to manually attach each model to a separate thread. Inference Engine should do this automatically.

Please help to clarify these details so we could test it from our side:

1) Operating system

2) Their custom application code for replication

3) Execution command

Sincerely,

Iffa

0 Kudos
harishkumar
Beginner

Hi @Iffa_Intel,

Thanks for the reply. It's surprising to hear that running models in separate threads is discouraged. There's a need for threading in my pipeline. I'm using ubuntu 18.04. When my custom sdk is run on Intel CPU, I can't reproduce the issue whereas deploying it in NCS2 produces that issue. I have modified the Interactive Face Detection Demo application code (Intel openvino sample demo) for reproducing the issue. I'm passing zero matrix (cv::mat) to every model with a print of number of times it has run. Initially all the model loops were printing debug print and after sometime only one model was printing the debug print. Also I'm using FP16 model files for all. Please find the attachment of the modified file and refer to the steps for building along with it.

Steps to build the application code -

1.  git clone https://github.com/openvinotoolkit/open_model_zoo.git

2.  git checkout 2021.2

3.  cd into open_model_zoo/demos/interactive_face_detection_demo/

4.  replace the main.cpp with the attached main.cpp Please find the attachment

5.  mkdir build && cd build

6. cmake -DCMAKE_BUILD_TYPE=Release ../

7. make interactive_face_detection_demo

Execution command-

./interactive_face_detection_demo -m ./face-detection-0200.xml -m_lm ./facial-landmarks-35-adas-0002.xml -m_hp ./head-pose-estimation-adas-0001.xml -m_ag ./age-gender-recognition-retail-0013.xml -d MYRIAD -d_hp MYRIAD -d_lm MYRIAD -d_ag MYRIAD -i ./test.mp4

Note - input video file is not used inside the modified application so you can pass any video. A dummy zero image matrix is created for each model.

0 Kudos
harishkumar
Beginner

@Iffa_Intel Sorry please checkout 2021.1 instead of 2021.2

0 Kudos
Iffa_Intel

Hi,

It is validated that the original interactive face recognition demo works well with those models. The problem must lie within your modified code. try to cross-check with the original main file.

Sincerely,

Iffa

0 Kudos
harishkumar
Beginner

Hi ,

I myself have mentioned when using the interactive face demo application, the issue doesn't occur. I have only added basic threading functionality in the main.cpp . Kindly check my modified main.cpp, it's just four models running on loop for a dummy image in separate threads. It randomly gets struck while calling Infer() in the model. The custom application runs properly in CPU. Only when deployed in NCS2, I'm getting this freeze issue randomly. If something's wrong with my code, it wouldn't have run on CPU properly. This freeze issue occurs randomly. Sometimes it occurs within minutes. Sometimes only after hours. Should I have to follow any specific threading method when deploying in NCS2?  I'm not able to debug any further than the Infer() call.

0 Kudos
Iffa_Intel

We managed to run your code after successful compile with 2021.1 version of OV and run with CPU only without any issue and the application is running without freeze as well.

From what we've seen, you are using MYRIAD and perform Multithreading with VPU.

The GCC we have in Linux can't support VPU threading since GCC so far support CPU threading only.

So our advice is for you to avoid Multithreading in VPU as openVINO has the capability to auto assign the threading.

Or else, change the device to CPU if threading is required (-d CPU -d_hp CPU -d_lm CPU -d_ag CPU)

https://docs.openvinotoolkit.org/latest/ie_plugin_api/group__ie__dev__api__threading.html

Besides, you can also use Inference Engine Async API. This Object Detection SSD Demo would be a good reference and this is the Optimization guide: https://docs.openvinotoolkit.org/latest/openvino_docs_optimization_guide_dldt_optimization_guide.html

Sincerely,

Iffa

0 Kudos
Iffa_Intel

Greetings,

Intel will no longer monitor this thread since we have provided a solution. If you need any additional information from Intel, please submit a new question. 

Sincerely,

Iffa

0 Kudos