Intel® FPGA Software Installation & Licensing
Installation and Licensing that’s includes Intel Quartus® Prime software, ModelSim* - Intel FPGA Edition software, Nios® II Embedded Design Suite on Windows or Linux operating systems.
1143 Discussions

Everything greyed out (except design)

RJarm
Beginner

Is Quartus Prime Lite (18.1) limited to design only, everything else (including compilation and everything on the start menu) is greyed out?

0 Kudos
7 Replies
CalvinJoaz_P_Intel
Hi Ralph, Yes. Quartus Prime Lite can only perform limited features. Kindly refer link below on 'Compare Design Flow Features' https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/software/programmable/quartus-prime/download.html Thank you.
0 Kudos
RJarm
Beginner

Thanks Calvin, but everything on the Start menu and Compile and Programming is greyed out irrespective of the device selected (I am attempting to start with a Max 2). There is something not right with the way licensing is checked in Lite (there are lots of license files (ending .lic) in the Licenses folders but this makes no difference). No device can be compiled / programmed. There may be an issue with how the Lite download installs. See attached.

0 Kudos
sstrell
Honored Contributor III

Do you have a project open (File -> Open Project or create a project with the New Project Wizard)? You can't choose a compilation option unless you have a project open.

#iwork4intel

0 Kudos
RJarm
Beginner

Hello sstrell, I uninstalled and reinstalled Lite and that seemed to solve the issue (I suspect originally not seeing the license files) though I wasn't able to complete my project (a 64 to 6 encoder using cascaded 74348's) because schematic doesn't allow outputs to be 'joined together' (even though outputs are tristate in the SN74348).. The code (Verliog / VHDL) for a 64 to 6 encoder is way beyond me (I am a newbie with CPLD's).

0 Kudos
sstrell
Honored Contributor III

The Lite edition doesn't require any licensing, but I'm glad you were able to solve your issue.

If you have questions about code, you can post them here as well.

#iwork4intel

0 Kudos
James24
Beginner
I am having a similar issue, a lot of the drop down menus are greyed out and unclickable.
0 Kudos
RJarm
Beginner

Despite my best efforts I had to abandon my project, attempts to create a 64 to 6 encoder (based on some 8to3 Encode code found in various forums) would have required a CPLD with 129 GPIO 'pins' (despite there being only 70 physical pins used) so any off-the-shelf dev board would not have been suitable and certainly not affordable. In this case (and I suspect for many other projects) it is far easier, faster and cheaper to use discreet logic. That'll teach me not to try something 'new'.

0 Kudos