Intel® FPGA University Program
University Program Material, Education Boards, and Laboratory Exercises
1174 Discussions

Car plate recognition using DE2 Board

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi there, 

I am new to here and new to DE2 Board. 

I am going to do an Automatic Number Plate Recognition system using DE2 board. 

By plugin camera to DE2 and output to PC, I wish to know which programming language is the best to use?  

My idea is using either C++ or FPGA, if i were to use C++, how could i compile it into DE2 board? is there any development kit out there to help in? 

Thanks.
0 Kudos
8 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

It seems you should first get an idea of how an FPGA works. 

Basically an FPGA is empty Hardware, until you program it. 

What you call FPGA language is either VHDL or Verilog, which is a language that defines the hardware only. 

Without that, you will have a piece of metal with a lot of pins to it. 

For starters, use the Altera Quartus software. You should have received some CD or DVD with the board, which contains the software you need and lots of examples to get you started. 

Wether you need to write software in C++ or whatever language, you need a processor that understands it. It's up to you to create a processor within the FPGA, or to implement all neccessary logic as dedicated cells (as one would do with logic chips).  

The DE2 already is the development kit to help you with that, for your task the starting point might be some video example project for the DE2. 

But before that, you should have a look at the introduction examples, to get an idea what you are working with and what you want to achieve. 

As long as you don't know what you can do with the DE2 at all, I would not advise you to design a rather complex video streaming system with sophisticated image recognition.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi mcr42, thanks for replying. Yes, I will be using VHDL with latest Quartus software. I shall start my first step by trying some basic image related examples at this moment. I may seek for your help from time to time.  

Appreciate that! Thank you.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi wyh104, 

How was your progress? I'm here wish u good luck.  

I will going to do my fyp for this title. Can give some idea for me? 

Thx man~ =)
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Are you going to use DE2 board too?

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

My lecturer told me using Matlab.  

But the board he have was Max ii development kit.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I din do any research on Max ii development kit. May i know what can this kit do? 

Anyway, i am using Matlab too, because it is not easy to use code image processing and OCR in VHDL. it can, but it is not for degree level who is not major in VHDL programming.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

after doing the design in matlab how i can tranfer that to fpga 

plz help
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

--- Quote Start ---  

after doing the design in matlab how i can tranfer that to fpga 

plz help 

--- Quote End ---  

Either with Mathworks HDL coder (but you will have to transfer it to simulink) or write it yourself in HDL. 

I recommend the latter option.
0 Kudos