Intel® FPGA University Program
University Program Material, Education Boards, and Laboratory Exercises
1174 Discussions

DE2-70 - Exit Code 1h

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I'm repeatedly encountering exit code 1h when trying to use the DE2_70_Camera Camera Utility V1.1.0. When I click 'Download Code', the error message: "Execute(<MyPath>\NiosDownloadBatch.bat) fail. ExitCode:1h" appears. 

The VGA output works as expected, but I can't use the Capture / Save buttons to save the images to file (pressing Capture results in an error window). 

I am running Windows XP SP3 with Quartus 10.1sp1 and NIOS II eds 10.1 installed, and am using a DE2-70 board and a TRDB-D5M camera. 

Suggestions greatly appreciated.
0 Kudos
9 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Altering the Windows Path variables as suggested by jwdonal in "control_panel for DE2_70"fixed the issue for me: 

--- Quote Start ---  

After a whole lot of digging I was able to figure out what the problem was. I had to do two things: 

1) Copy over jtag_client.dll and dinkum_alt.dll from "QUARTUS_ROOT_DIR\quartus\bin" to the Control Panel software folder. 

2) Add the following two directories to my windows system PATH variable: 

C:\altera\10.0\nios2eds\bin 

C:\altera\10.0\nios2eds\bin\nios2-gnutools\H-i686-pc-cygwin\bin 

Step 1 was courtesy of Terasic's tech support and has now been added to their technical FAQ webpage. Step 2 I figured out on my own and essentially consisted of having to go through each script and running them all manually until I figured out where they were failing. 

I have no idea why it is that some people have to do this fix and some people don't. Some people have no problems at all. Weird. Just FYI, my system is Windows 7 64-bit running Quartus and NIOS II EDS v10.0. 

Hope this helps someone in the future. 

Pz! 

Jonathon 

--- Quote End ---  

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Forgot to mention that my system is 32 bit. We must have had different problems. Any luck with yours so far?

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi vmg, I encountered the same problem as yours.  

the error message: "Execute(<MyPath>\NiosDownloadBatch.bat) fail. ExitCode:1h" appears when the loading bar achieved 100%. 

I've tried using both of methods, in which it helps in communicating with my control panel software. 

But it doesn't work for the camera. I'm using DE2-70, and vista 32 bit.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hmm. It's been a while, so my memory's a little foggy. I think that happened to me a few times. The bar would load up to 100% and still fail the first time, but repeating either load or save worked. (ie it said it failed the first time, but would save the image if you either re downloaded the code or just went ahead and saved (or a combination of both, it seemed pretty temperamental). 

Sorry to be so vague. I'll let you know if I remember anything else of use. 

Does other code work with your board? (ie can you program the board via quartus?) I've heard of issues with the USB blaster / unsigned drivers in windows vista, but not sure if it would cause the 1h issue or not.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

vmg, thanks for your kind reply. 

As for now, I've tried reinstall the software quartus and nios ii. (both are same version 9.1).  

I cant save the pictures, as it will pop out error. it will said, something like "picture cant load".  

My USB blaster works well. I can program the .sof to the board using the quartus programmer.  

When I try to program manually using programmer, and open the camera application, it still won't work. 

Any ideas? I've searched through google, and it looks like most of questions keep hanging without any reply/solution (in forum and etc). 

Just for your information, I've uninstall my modelsim, as if I install the modelsim, the control panel.exe application will not work.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Are you running the camera utility as an admin? Not doing so can cause issues talking to hardware. 

Do you have these variables in System\Environment? 

sopc_kit_nios2 

c:\altera\10.1sp1\nios2eds 

quartus_rootdir 

c:\altera\10.1sp1\quartus 

(Obviously you'll need to change 10.1sp1 to whatever your version of quartus/nios named those folders) 

It might be worth trying Terasic's tech support as well: support [at] terasic.com I ended up fixing the issue with info from these forums, but they respond quite quickly and might have some other ideas as well.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I'm running the software as administrator. 

I've both the file name as c:\altera\91\nios2eds and quartus. 

Is there any program compatibility problem if i'm using 9.1 version?
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi, 

By environment variables, I mean System Properties\Advanced\Environment Variables...\System Variables - Those values should appear in the scroll down list at the bottom of the pop up window. The left column should have the bolded words, the right column should have the path names (C:\...). 

I don't know of any reason why 9.1 wouldn't work with it. 

vmg.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I've just uninstalled the 9.1, and downloading the 11.0.  

I will let you know of any updates.
0 Kudos