Intel® FPGA University Program
University Program Material, Education Boards, and Laboratory Exercises
1174 Discussions

TCP/IP communication using DE2

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi, i need some ideas to be able to start with my project. 

My project is to capture image using a camera and transfer to FPGA. FPGA will be connected to the LAN port of router. 

My question is how do i do these connection so that a remote pc connected to the same network can access to the FPGA. What kind of resources and knowledge do i need? 

Thanks in advance for your reply........
0 Kudos
7 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

You could make use of UDP instead of TCP. It is much easier to implement. (the only drawback is no guarantee that packets will arrive safely) If you absolutely need TCP, you may consider using a NIOS to manage the TCP connection correctly. Learn the basics for ethernet connectivity first. (Preamble, MAC header, IP header, and TCP or UDP) Once you understand what each bit is used for in the headers, you should be able to work out how the ethernet will work for you. 

If you get stuck with your code, post it along with the specific problem you are having and you will probably get some help.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Thanks for the reply...  

really helpful...
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

i searched the net and found that dm9000a used for ethernet conncectivity in De2, is it possible to use it for my project? 

i also found the codes on this site. What does this code infers to actually? is there any tcp/ip core for me to use? 

http://www.codeforge.com/article/14386 

thanks.....
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Anybody help me pls, im really confused, need something to start with...........

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi, im trying to understand the code, what is the host side in this context,  

image is attached
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

well that is awkward :(

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

--- Quote Start ---  

Hi, im trying to understand the code, what is the host side in this context,  

image is attached 

--- Quote End ---  

the host side is going to be connected to AVALON bus.
0 Kudos