Intel® FPGA University Program
University Program Material, Education Boards, and Laboratory Exercises
1174 Discussions

University IP doesn't appear in SOPC builder 9.0 sp1

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi, I installed the university IP but I can't see these cores in SOPC builder. I have QuartusII 9.0 sp1 installed. Do you have any idea why it doesn't appear?  

Thanks..
0 Kudos
7 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

You need to add the path in SOPC -> Tools -> Options -> IP Search Path

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Thank you jrierab. Sometimes very easy things can be a big problem for beginners.  

Now I can see the univ. ip cores so I tried to use the RS232 core. Unfortunately when I add the core in sopc, the configuration window opens and displays some errors. And I can't see any parameters to set such as Baud Rate. I attached a screenshot. Do you have any idea what I'm missing this time?
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Did you install the latest 9.0 UP IP cores? There were errors on previous 8.0 cores when working with Quartus 9.0.  

Check here: http://www.alteraforum.com/forum/showthread.php?p=23544#post23544
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Yes, I installed 9.0 UP RS232 IP core from the link you give. I have also tried previous UP IP 8 core package with Quartus 8.1 and the same problem happened. If you have time can you try adding RS232 core in SOPC. Just to see if this is a general problem or not.

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I did it already before posting the link. It works, at least it allows me to select baud rate and the rest of the parameters. Because of that I thought that maybe you were not using 9.0 cores. 

The only question is that I'm working on linux with Quartus 9.0 without SP1 (which is not available in linux, or I did not found it). So, It is only a windows related problem, a SP1 problem or something special in your system. 

One last warning, I suppose you "refreshed" your SOPC system when changing IP cores versions, did you?
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I finally solved the problem. I figured out what the errors mean. The problem is in the original "Altera_UP_Avalon_RS232_hw.tcl" script file. There is a variable definition mismatch. For example in the .tcl file there is a line written; 

add_parameter baud int 115200 

What solved the problem is changing the "int" to "INTEGER" as; 

add_parameter baud INTEGER 115200 

I also replaced "string" with "STRING" in the file and got rid of all the errors. 

I don't know writing tcl commands so I'm not sure why the original .tcl file works for "jrierab" and not for me unless I do these changes. 

Is there another way to solve this problem without changing the original .tcl file? 

Thank you jrierab for your continuing suggestions that lead me to find out the problem.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

what salary i can expect after doing bca and mca from ip university?

0 Kudos