Intel® Fortran Compiler
Build applications that can scale for the future with optimized code designed for Intel® Xeon® and compatible processors.
28446 Discussions

Cannot see debug symbols - IVF 17 u8 - VS2013

johnnyontheweb
Beginner

Hi all,

I've a problem in debugging my application compiled with VS2013 and IVF Compiler 17 update 8.

In Local Variables windows, allmost all variable appears in Hex, and the options "Show in hex" is of disabled. Trying to enabling it and then disabling again doesn't work. In Watch I get error CXX0017 - cannot find symbol - I cannot see any variable, despite some of them are visible in Local Variables window.

I read this topic and I firstly tried solution two (uninstalling IVF, repair VS installation, reinstall IVF). Nothing changed. Then I tried the first solution, in the folder:
C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio 12.0\Common7\Packages\Debugger

there's no CppEE.dll and no ForDbgSW.dll. Renaming NatDbgEE.dll to CppEE.dll causes errors when launching debug ("cannot start program, NatDbgEE.dll not found".

Can anyone help please?

0 Kudos
9 Replies
Ron_Green

Caveat:  I am not a Windows/Visual Studio expert and barely us it myself.  But I believe you can try this:

Uninstall Intel Fortran

Run the Visual Studio Installer.  I think from Setup, Add or Remove Programs select Visual Studio

When the installer comes up there should be an option to MODIFY/Repair

try that - let it repair your VS installation

then re-install Intel Fortran

Like I said, I'm not a Windows person but I do remember doing this sometime in the past.

0 Kudos
johnnyontheweb
Beginner

Thanks for your reply, as I said I already tried this and it didn't work.

0 Kudos
Ron_Green

here is a link to the System Requirements in teh Release Notes for your 17u8 compiler

https://software.intel.com/content/www/us/en/develop/articles/intel-visual-fortran-compiler-170-for-windows-release-notes-for-intel-parallel-studio-xe.html#compatibility

Were I you I would try to completely remove Intel Fortran and VS, reboot, and reinstall from scratch.  v17 is no longer supported and I don't have a VS2013 around for testing so I'm afraid there is nothing more I can do in this case.

0 Kudos
Ron_Green

one last thought - before you uninstall everything

Have you tried creating a new empty Solution/Project.  Then start simple with a Hello world and debug it, look for symbols?  Perhaps your Solution or Project are somehow corrupted.  Just a thought.  That's what I would do first.

0 Kudos
johnnyontheweb
Beginner

Thanks for reply - yes I tried this, same bad behaviour.

I'll update the compiler, it seems the only way.

ps.

for recent compilers, installers must be improved. Just for instance, a (repaired, just for above reasons) vs2013 installation is not recognized by recent installers. I had to use vs2019 to get all to work.

0 Kudos
andrew_4619
Honored Contributor II

The support for VS versions is shown in the release notes. Ifort installers normally cover three versions of VS which seems reasonable to me.

0 Kudos
johnnyontheweb
Beginner

I'm sure that VS2013 is still supported, it is required explicitly for GNU DBG - it can be seen in installer messages.

0 Kudos
andrew_4619
Honored Contributor II

https://software.intel.com/content/www/us/en/develop/articles/intel-fortran-compiler-191-for-windows-release-notes-for-intel-parallel-studio-xe-2020.html#sysreq

• To use the Microsoft Visual Studio development environment or command-line tools to build IA-32[2] or Intel® 64 architecture applications:
    • Microsoft Visual Studio 2017* Professional Edition (or higher edition) or Microsoft Visual Studio Community 2017* with 'Desktop development with C++' component installed [3]
    • Microsoft Visual Studio 2019* Professional Edition (or higher edition) or Microsoft Visual Studio Community 2019* with 'Desktop development with C++' component installed
    • Read this article for the version of Microsoft Visual Studio supported by compiler release.

You need to look at the release notes.

0 Kudos
johnnyontheweb
Beginner

Despite that, in another pc ivf2020u2 is working with vs2013, correctly detected during installation. I assume that release notes are too limiting.

But nevermind, this is not the key point. The key point is that the installer does not detect the presence of vs2013 - I suspect that if you repaired the installation of vs2013, its installation path moves from "C:\program files(x86)" to "C:\program files".

0 Kudos