Intel® Fortran Compiler
Build applications that can scale for the future with optimized code designed for Intel® Xeon® and compatible processors.
28445 Discussions

Compiler/Architecture problem linking fortran compiler to CFX solver library.

dsk2
Beginner
Hi,
My aim is to create a .dll file by linking a fortran user routine to CFX solver library using 'cfx5mkext.exe'.
I can create the .dll file successfully on my colleague's computer but not on mine.
Strangely, I believe that the architectures of both the computers are the same. However, there is an error.

I have added two screenshots for comparison, each of which show the .ccl file (used in the compilation) and the compilation process itself in the command window.

Just to summarise, the .ccl file in both the cases is exactly the same and the command used to compile and link as well as the compiler itself in both the cases also is the same. Still in one case there is no problem and in the other case it spits out the error:
[plain]A fatal error has occured in cfx5mkext:

Essential (non-synthesisable) configuration parameter fc ("/OS:winnt amd64/fc") missing from configuration file cfx5mkext.ccl[/plain]
I have also attached the system properties for both the systems - one without the compilation problem and for the other with the compilation problem.

Any pointers/help is greatly appreciated.

Regards,
Sai.

0 Kudos
2 Replies
TimP
Honored Contributor III
According to what you show, your failure occured on a 64-bit Windows installation. It's difficult to persuade CVF (even in the final version) to install on such a system, and it seems unlikely that CFX supports a combination of a very old version of CVF with a recent Windows X64. As this is a commercial licensed application, it seems more appropriate to assure that you have current rights to use it, and to follow the vendor's recommendations.
0 Kudos
dsk2
Beginner
Quoting - tim18
According to what you show, your failure occured on a 64-bit Windows installation. It's difficult to persuade CVF (even in the final version) to install on such a system, and it seems unlikely that CFX supports a combination of a very old version of CVF with a recent Windows X64. As this is a commercial licensed application, it seems more appropriate to assure that you have current rights to use it, and to follow the vendor's recommendations.

Thanks tim18, for the reply.

The point is, the compilation works flawlessly on one 64-bit machine and doesnot work on another 64-bit machine with the same configuration. Is there anyway to verify if there is a difference in architecture?

I have the current rights for both the programs. I am in touch with CFX support, but at the architecture level I find it more appropriate to use this forum.

I am at loss in undestanding why the same compiler would behave differently on two machines with the same architecture.

I have also been trying the following things:

1. I tried using the update 'Compaq Visual Fortran 6.6 - Intel Version', and it gives the same error.

"A fatal error has occured in cfx5mkext:

Essential (non-synthesisable) configuration parameter fc ("/OS:winnt amd64/fc") missing from configuration file cfx5mkext.ccl"

2. I tried changing the 'OS' in cfx5mkext.ccl file from 'OS: winnt' to 'OS: winnt amd64'. Now, the previous error disappears and I get a new error. This makes me believe that the architecture is not exactly the same (any ideas on how to confirm if the architecture is exactly the same the way the compiler recognises it?). Anyways, the new error I now obtain is (attached in compile.jpeg):

'solver-mpich2.lib: fatal error LNK1113: invalid machine type
An error has occured in cfx5mkext:

df exited with return code 89.
'
(more explicitly in 'compile.jpeg' attached)

It sounds like this is due the machine architecture but it works on another machine with the same (I believe) architecture.

On the machine where the problem doesn't occur, it looks like (attached Noproblem-compile-2.jpg) the one shown below and
the .dll file is created as anticipated:

Any pointers would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
Sai.

0 Kudos