Intel® Fortran Compiler
Build applications that can scale for the future with optimized code designed for Intel® Xeon® and compatible processors.
28454 Discussions

Convert CVF 6.6C to run on 64 bit machine

BearofLittleBrain1
New Contributor I

Hi everybody,

BearofLittleBrain is back - for some reason I had to have BearofLittleBrain1 instead of my old handle of BearofLittleBrain.  The system must remember me, although I didn't manage to sign in using that name - expired password, I expect..  May I have my old handle back please?

The reason for posting is that I was using CVF6.6C on Windows 7 - actually it was CVF6.6 1,2 or 3 ( I can't remember which: I do remember that one of them gave me grief, so I switch to another) and retired in 2003.  I carried on using it on a 32-bit machine which suddenly kicked the bucket.  However, I had managed to save all my data and I had the discs, but my next machine was 64-bit and wouldn't accept CVF6.6C.  So, using XPMode, I was able to carry on, but found it to be such a pain that I gave up.

Recently, my local Astronomical club asked me to calculate some orbits, but I was a bit stuffed.  CVF6.6C is what I knew and was quite adequate for my needs, so what I was wondering was whether any of you can help me convert CVF6.6C to run on a 64-bit machine?  I have searched online quite a lot, including on this forum, but haven't found the answer.

Bearing in mind that I am 82 and my handle does accurately describe me, replies should not be couched in too technical terms.  I should think that the person who is most likely to be able to assist is Steve Lionel.  Hi, Steve if you are reading this - help please.  Which reminds me that in the past, members of this forum used to reply to Bear, thinking it might be rude to use my full handle.  It's not - I work on the premise that you only insult your friends.

0 Kudos
1 Solution
BearofLittleBrain1
New Contributor I

Sorry everybody for not noticing Steve's observation - I suppose that at the time I thought that trying to keep CVF was the best way forward.  Now I realise that I was on a hiding to nothing if I did that and suddenly the costs of IVF and Visual Studio are free.  All that it will cost is for windows 10 Pr - what's not to like?

Apologies again for wasting ereyone's time, but I learnt a lot about what to do.

I think that that ends this thread successfully.

BearofLittleBrain

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
36 Replies
BearofLittleBrain1
New Contributor I
0 Kudos
BearofLittleBrain1
New Contributor I

Steve et al.

I seem to get Steve's posts to me/all. but then they vanish. Which is why I have to quote them from memory when replying.  I am very sad to say that I am suddenly moving house for the usual reason.  I thank you all for your help, both now and in the past, but it may be a little time or longer before you hear from me again.

Goodbye

Bear of Little Brain

PS  However, I am going to take up JNicols kind offer of old VS disc(s) if I can get my new address to him safely - old Frtranners never die.

0 Kudos
BearofLittleBrain1
New Contributor I

mecej4,
Many thanks - will try that: please send John Nicholls whatever - I am up and running again, but there is so much to do!

Unfortunately, even logged in, I have managed only once to see that post but made a mistake.  I now can't see it anymore.  If it hasn't gone, would you please get an administrator to zap it?

Bear of Little Brain

0 Kudos
mecej4
Honored Contributor III

For obvious reasons, I cannot change or delete your posts, and you cannot delete or change my posts. External users, such as the two of us, do not have the privilege of changing someone else's posts. Here is what you can do:

Alternative 1:

Log in, scroll down to the post with the attachment (verysad.txt), click on the three dots at the top right of the post and select Edit. You can then delete the attachment link. This is immediate.

Alternative 2:

Log in, and scroll down to the post with the attachment (verysad.txt). Click on the three dots icon to the top right of the post, and select "Report Inappropriate Content", and request that the attachment be deleted since it contains personal information. This will be done only after an Intel moderator sees the request.

I'll send mail to John Nichols asking him on your behalf to mail the Visual Studio CD/DVD.

0 Kudos
BearofLittleBrain1
New Contributor I

OK - I now understand what a can of worms I have opened up, so am going give up and buy up-to date software.

This appears to me to be:

Windows 10 Pro - £45 from Microsoft

IVF 19.0 for windows $1022.24 = £736 from Intel

Visual Studio 2019 Pro - £300 from UnitedK Software

So as a present to myself on the 60th anniversary of my first Fortran Program, I am going to buy them.  My apologies from putting you all to so much trouble - you have been very tolerant - and very expert of course.  Please tell me if I have got the precise software that I need and tell me of better choices if there is one.  Also, what is the order in which to install these?  I can guess that Windows 10 is first, but am unsure of the order of tha last two.

I can do without the hassle

Bear of Little Brain

0 Kudos
BearofLittleBrain1
New Contributor I

Steve Lionel, JNichols & mecej4,

Many thanks for your helpful suggestions - as usual, this buggy site at the moment (and I am logged in), does not even let me see what I posted on buying up-to-date software.

To Steve, I would say that I did not even know that the IVF 2021 compiler existed, let alone that is free.

To JNicols, I say thanks for the disc that will be on its way soon, but is it not true that I now don't need it?  Windows 10 Pro is what I shall buy, because I have come across small but very annoying differences between Home and Pro editions of other software.  Thanks for the warning on the buggy Windows 11.  I wouldn't have bought it anyway, because it is too new and maybe like Windows 8.  As for money, I can't take it with me.

To mecej4, I say thanks for saying that VS-community and Windows 10 Home is enough for me, which is almost certainly true, but one never knows.

Because JNichols and mecej4 didn't mention it, am I to assume that you didn't know about the free IVF 2021 either?

We're nearly there!

Bear ofLittleBrain

0 Kudos
mecej4
Honored Contributor III

I certainly know about Ifort being available free.

Steve Lionel informed you on 8/30/2021, saying "That said, there is really no good reason to keep using CVF, especially now that Intel Fortran and current Visual Studio are free."

Your subsequent posts gave us the impression that you wanted to stay with CVF and Windows 7.

0 Kudos
BearofLittleBrain1
New Contributor I

Sorry everybody for not noticing Steve's observation - I suppose that at the time I thought that trying to keep CVF was the best way forward.  Now I realise that I was on a hiding to nothing if I did that and suddenly the costs of IVF and Visual Studio are free.  All that it will cost is for windows 10 Pr - what's not to like?

Apologies again for wasting ereyone's time, but I learnt a lot about what to do.

I think that that ends this thread successfully.

BearofLittleBrain

0 Kudos
Steve_Lionel
Honored Contributor III

No, there is no "list of equivalents". QuickWin is tightly integrated with the Fortran run-time system. There are several Windows examples in the samples bundle, but this is a complex topic. In particular, you can't get Fortran I/O to seamlessly occur in an ordinary Windows graphics window.

You should be producing all your new work as Fortran 2018 using free-form source.

Steve_Lionel
Honored Contributor III

My post is not appearing, yet you quote it. Confused.

imran7757
Beginner

The architecture a program is written for (not on) might influence where it can be run. However, most modern languages are pretty good in hiding these details, so it requires some effort to tailor a program especially for a certain architecture (64 bit not being an architecture, but a certain subset of all architectures). You’d either have to actively depend on the size of a memory address or you’d have to actually require more memory than 32 bit machines can address.

And even then: if you completely ignore run speed, you could run 64 bit programs, including heaps and heaps of memory requirement even on an 8 or 16 bit machine: you just need an emulator for the 64 bit machine and a large enough harddisk emulating the bigger memory.

0 Kudos
mecej4
Honored Contributor III

I have also noticed that some of the responses in this thread (and other threads) are visible only if I am logged in.

The Intel site also logs me out after a duration of inactivity or if the PC that I am using goes into sleep.

If a post that you remember reading earlier is no longer visible, check to see if you are still logged in.

0 Kudos
Steve_Lionel
Honored Contributor III

Why in the world would you want to buy IVF 19.0 when the 2021 compiler is free?

See Installing Microsoft Visual Studio* 2019 for Use with Intel® Compilers for installation order.

mecej4
Honored Contributor III

You do not need Visual Studio Pro. You are probably eligible to use VS-Community edition, and that should suffice. Similarly, Windows 10 Home should suffice.

0 Kudos
JNichols
New Contributor I

The VS will wing its way on Tuesday in the US Post.  Consider it an early present from Santa.  

VS Community Edition is a superb program and you do not need anything else.  

Windows 10 home is ok, if you are absolutely strapped for cash, then join the Microsoft Insider's program and get the Windows 10 Beta Release,  it is stable and will be pushed to the whole world on Oct 5 I believe.  

Avoid the latest dev release from Windows 11, it is buggy.  

0 Kudos