Intel® Fortran Compiler
Build applications that can scale for the future with optimized code designed for Intel® Xeon® and compatible processors.
28626 Discussions

How to send/receive private messages between posters? + posting problems

anthonyrichards
New Contributor III

Answer please, Steve?

BTW, I still cannot Edit or delete a reply, nor can I cancel a reply before sending it. The only options in the bottom right hand corner concern Replying to a post. I use IE7.

0 Kudos
9 Replies
Steven_L_Intel1
Employee

Please explain "nor can I cancel a reply before sending it." There is not a separate Cancel button but you can simply click Back in your browser or some other URL.

I will report the problem you have with Delete and Cancel.

Private messaging is supposed to be available through your Profile (Edit Profile on the right).

0 Kudos
TommyCee
Beginner

I realize this thread is many years old but what Steve suggests doesn't seem to pan out.  Within Profile, I see no "Edit Profile" on the right on any other way to initiate a dialog to send someone a private message.

Even as I say this, I have occasionally sent a few private messages to various members, but I guess I can't recall how I did it.

Any hot tips?

Some forum templates are set up with a little Send Private Message icon within the box of each post contributor, making it very easy.

0 Kudos
Steven_L_Intel1
Employee

Sorry, they have taken away the ability for non-Intel users to send private messages. An Intel representative can send YOU a private message, to which you can reply, but you can no longer start the process. I was told that this ability was considered a violation of privacy rules, but I don't agree. I'm trying to convince them to bring it back as it's a valuable feature.

0 Kudos
andrew_4619
Honored Contributor III

Steve Lionel (Intel) wrote:

Sorry, they have taken away the ability for non-Intel users to send private messages. An Intel representative can send YOU a private message, to which you can reply, but you can no longer start the process. I was told that this ability was considered a violation of privacy rules, but I don't agree. I'm trying to convince them to bring it back as it's a valuable feature.

To my thinking if it is a "privacy" issue the there should be an option on your profile to enable you to "opt in" receive such messages. If the default is to "opt out" then that achieves the objective?

0 Kudos
TommyCee
Beginner

BooHoo.  A giant step backwards (imho).

I totally echo sentiments by app4619.

0 Kudos
DavidWhite
Valued Contributor II

Why is the ability to send private messages restricted to Intel employees?

If this is really a community, then there will be occasions where we want to communicate with others without making it public, and also without bogging the list down with detail that may not be helpful in the long run.

I vote that we be given this feature back again.

After all, you know who we are, and we have to set up an account to use the list.  If there is any abuse of the list, you have the ability to cancel someone's membership.  if you want some additional limitation on it, perhaps make it a requirement that the user be signed up for the Black Belt program, if that helps.

Thanks,

David

0 Kudos
Steven_L_Intel1
Employee

The reasoning I heard, second or third hand, was based on the fact that some users have their email addresses as their "Display Name", and this would "leak" the email address. Never mind that as soon as said user posts in the forum, it also leaks. It would be better for IDZ to change the display name of all such users. I will keep at it.

0 Kudos
Steven_L_Intel1
Employee

Are you folks seeing the "Send Author a Message" link now? It has been turned back on.

0 Kudos
FortranFan
Honored Contributor III

Yes!  Awesome!

Thank you Steve - great job influencing your management.

0 Kudos