Intel® Fortran Compiler
Build applications that can scale for the future with optimized code designed for Intel® Xeon® and compatible processors.

Installation Help

John_J_3
Beginner

Hello,

I have access to Microsoft Visual Studio Professional 2013 with Update 4. I want to integrate the Intel Fortran Compiler and MKL with VS on Windows 7. So, what I think I need to do is this:

1) Install VS Professional 2013

2) Install Intel Paralell Studio XE 2015 Composer Edition

Is this correct? Is there a better option? Is there somewhere I can read more about my options and/or detailed instructions for integrating these two products?

Thanks in advance

0 Kudos
14 Replies
mecej4
Honored Contributor III

There are some advantages to installing VS 2013 first. However, if all you want to do is build Fortran applications, it is not necessary to install VS2013 separately, since the IFort XE 2015 installer contains and will install the VS Studio shell and MS SDK components needed to support building Fortran applications.

There is nothing that you need to do to "integrate the two products". The installer will do what is needed, if you allow it.

0 Kudos
TimP
Honored Contributor III

Release notes for 2015XE update 4 still show Visual Studio 2010 Shell as the included product.  Did this change?  I think it makes little  difference.  There are much larger differences in the C++ compilers included with VS2010/2012/2013. VS2013 Shell may be expected with 2016XE.

Integrating ifort into a full Visual Studio should make it possible to use MKL together with C++, which is useful for some applications.  Your suggested order of installation will avoid the confusion of installing VS Shell in addition to full VS.

I generally use VS2012 in preference to 2013 as its C++ sometimes performs better, although it has less up to date C++14.  It makes no difference to ifort.

0 Kudos
Steven_L_Intel1
Employee

VS2010 Shell is still the current bundled environment. This MAY change in the XE 2016 product.

0 Kudos
Jose_A_
Beginner

I just downloaded Intel Paralell Studio XE 2015 Composer Edition for Fortran Windows.  I would like to be able to use the VS2010 Shell that Steve Lionel mentioned.  When I attempted to install the Parallel Studio, I got the attached message.  The message indicates that the installer requires a Microsoft development product be installed and to refer to the Release Notes to see which product it is referring to.  I checked the release notes (also attached) and it seems to say that NET 4.0 Framework is required.  However, that program is already installed.

Is this an issue that I should address or should I continue with the installation?

Thanks!

Jose

0 Kudos
TimP
Honored Contributor III

Your message indicates that Mic debugger would be deselected if you proceed. If you have no Mic coprocessor, this is what you want.

0 Kudos
Jose_A_
Beginner

Hi Tim, thanks for the message. My concern is about the first error message.  I'm not really what it means and if I should continue with the installation.

0 Kudos
mecej4
Honored Contributor III

You did not clearly state whether you tried to install a trial version or a licensed version of IFort. Only the licensed version contains a bundled VS shell. In order to run a trial, you would need to do a separate download (from Microsoft) and installation of one of the supported versions of Visual Studio (see the IFort release notes for details), or, if it is sufficient to do only command line development, download and install a Windows SDK package.

0 Kudos
TimP
Honored Contributor III

In case you overlooked it, vs2013 community would satisfy all requirements for parallel studio, if you qualify for it.

0 Kudos
Jose_A_
Beginner

I have a licensed version of Parallel Studio.

I have access to a full version of VS from my educational institution.  However, I would prefer using the VS shell that comes with Parallel Studio if I could avoid having to integrate the Parallel Studio and VS.

0 Kudos
TimP
Honored Contributor III

Should be no problem, go ahead and install against shell and vèrify that the components you want are working.

0 Kudos
Steven_L_Intel1
Employee

Student and Classroom licenses for Intel Parallel Studio don't include the VS Shell. It is not clear to me what license type you have. I see that you have a .edu email address, so it's possible that you have a license type excluding the shell. If that is the case, then I agree that installing Visual Studio separately, either through your school's license or the Community Edition, is the way to go. Once you do that, reinstall Parallel Studio XE and it should work fine. You don't have additional steps to follow.

That second message about MIC debugging can be ignored as it is unlikely to be of relevance to you unless you will be developing applications for Intel Xeon Phi coprocessors.

0 Kudos
Jose_A_
Beginner

Steve, I have attached an image indicating the edition that I purchased.  I am not sure if the version that I purchased contains the VS shell.

Jose

0 Kudos
Steven_L_Intel1
Employee

Jose, I don't see that you have registered that license at the Intel Registration Center. Please use "Send Author A Message" and tell me your serial number (don't post it here in public view.)

0 Kudos
Jose_A_
Beginner

Hi Tim and Steve, just wanted to let you know that I installed it and the shell works great.  

Thanks for all the help!

Jose

0 Kudos