Intel® Fortran Compiler
Build applications that can scale for the future with optimized code designed for Intel® Xeon® and compatible processors.

Unsupported 16-bit application

dingjun_chencmgl_ca

Hi, Intel tech support staff,

Our have  a 64 bit , Windows Server 2016 standard , 4 socket 72 core skylake computer. We  have Intel Parallel Studio XE2018 and  MS Visual Studio 2015 installed on it.

When I compile a Fortran code, the compilation completes without any error. But when the application begins to run,  I get a Windows OS message saying that the application is 16bit and will not run under the 64 bit OS. Detailed messages are given below:

" Unsupported 16-bit Application:  The program or feature cannot start or run due to incompatible with 64-bit versions of Windows, Please contact the software verdor to ask if a 64-bit Windows compatible version is available. "

Please tell me what's wrong with our computer? how to deal with this issue?  This Fortran code is compiled  well with Intel 2018 Fortran compiler and runs well under Linux. This error is only from Windows platform.

Thanks in advance.

0 Kudos
3 Replies
Steve_Lionel
Honored Contributor III

Would you please create a ZIP of the buildlog.htm (in the Debug or Release folder) of the project that does this, and attach it to a reply here. What happens if you create a new project with the "Main Program with Sample Code" template? Do you get the same issue? If you are building from the command line, please show the complete command window contents including from the start where you establish the compile environment.

0 Kudos
dingjun_chencmgl_ca

Thanks for your reply. Yes. the problem reported here occurred in case of command line with Intel compiler. I built the Fortran codes under MS VS2015 and the problem is solved.  Thanks again to Intel Support Staff.

0 Kudos
Steve_Lionel
Honored Contributor III

I'm curious about the problem with the command line. How did you start the command prompt session? There hasn't been an "ifort" that generates 16-bit code - ever.

I do have a vague memory that some users found they had an old DOS link.exe in their PATH that got used instead of the correct one.

0 Kudos