Intel® Fortran Compiler
Build applications that can scale for the future with optimized code designed for Intel® Xeon® and compatible processors.

XE2016 installation errors for included VS Shell

dajum
Novice

Hi,

I've had problems with a couple different installations of compiler when the VS shell part fails.  The picture attached shows the error message.  The log file with the same error is also included.  This particular install happens to be on a very clean VMware machine running vindows 10.  The other problem also was due to failure to install the shell, but it was on windows 8.1.  Help getting around this would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Dave

0 Kudos
16 Replies
Steven_L_Intel1
Employee

The picture and log didn't get attached. Please try again.

0 Kudos
dajum
Novice

Trying again

0 Kudos
Steven_L_Intel1
Employee

Thanks, I will pass this on to the install team.

0 Kudos
Steven_L_Intel1
Employee

Was the Windows 8.1 install the same error message? In order to install the shell you must have the Windows SDK for Windows 8.1 installed. See https://software.intel.com/en-us/vs2013shell-windowssdk  If this is not done the install should say so at the beginning, not fail like this. If you install the SDK, I suggest also letting it install the .NET Framework 4.5 unless it says you already have it.

0 Kudos
dajum
Novice

On the windows 10 machine: The Windows SDK 8.1 was already installed and had no errors.  The .NET framework was also previously installed.  So there shouldn't be any reason I can see for the install to fail to install VS.

I didn't see the original error message from the Windows 8.1 installation, but now it complains that VS is missing.  But the problem on that machine is that VS shell 2013 (isolated) is installed, but it doesn't look complete and it doesn't seem to work.  You can't uninstall it either, it only lists CHANGE in the programs and features list.  But selecting that or the installer directly just flashes the startup screen and it just disappears. 

0 Kudos
Steven_L_Intel1
Employee

Thanks - escalated as issue DPD200410442. As soon as I learn anything about this I will let you know here.

0 Kudos
dajum
Novice

Ok thanks Steve.  I'm sure you realize that this means we can't use the compiler until it gets resolved.  I've suggested people use an older version, but that isn't possible in all cases.

0 Kudos
Steven_L_Intel1
Employee

Another possibility is to download and install VS2015 Community Edition and then reinstall Parallel Studio XE. Make sure you choose to customize the VS2015 install and check the box for C++.

0 Kudos
Steven_L_Intel1
Employee

The developers tell me that this is a Microsoft-supplied piece so they are going to have to ask Microsoft for help with it.

0 Kudos
Steven_L_Intel1
Employee

I've been asked for more details as to what goes wrong on the 8.1 system:

- "it complains that VS is missing". What exactly complains that VS is missing? Installer or when the customer tries to run Fortran IDE? What is the error message, exactly? Screenshot would help to start. 
 - "it doesn't look complete and it doesn't seem to work". What are the symptoms? Why the customer thinks that it doesn't look complete and it doesn't seem to work? 

0 Kudos
dajum
Novice

Hi Steve,

It was a customer who had the windows 8.1 issue, and I don't want to ask them to repeat the process as they have managed to get around it for now.  We tried several times to repeat the problem on our machines over the last two days, but were unable to reproduce it.  Windows 10 still has the issue and is repeatable, but I can't help with the 8.1 problem.  I know that means they probably won't look at it further, but if it happens again I'll work to get more data on it then.

Dave

0 Kudos
Steven_L_Intel1
Employee

Ok, thanks. The developers are still looking into the Windows 10 install issue.

0 Kudos
Steven_L_Intel1
Employee

Dave,

We're unable to reproduce the problem so far. Please try this - reboot the system and temporarily disable any antimalware or background backup programs you have running. Then try the install again. Let me know what happens.

0 Kudos
dajum
Novice

Steve,

For the Windows 10 issue right? I don't think there is any backup or antimalware software running (but I'll ask the developer who hit it).  It is a pretty plain windows 10 machine running on vmware.  We just duplicated it ourselves last week.  Pretty sure we could do a GoToMeeting and do it for you too.

For 8.1 it could be that it doesn't happen in Update 3.

Thanks,

Dave

0 Kudos
Steven_L_Intel1
Employee

Yes, this is for WIndows 10. Yes, if it still reproduces a GoToMeeting session would be useful.

0 Kudos
dajum
Novice

She is out for a couple days.  I'll have to let her set it up when she gets back.

Dave

0 Kudos