Intel® Fortran Compiler
Build applications that can scale for the future with optimized code designed for Intel® Xeon® and compatible processors.
Announcements
Welcome to the Intel Community. If you get an answer you like, please mark it as an Accepted Solution to help others. Thank you!

XE2017 messed up after update 2

andrew_4619
Honored Contributor I

Just in stalled update 2. In options...... Intel tools/compilers is show:

Intel(R) Visual Fortran Intel(R) 64 Compiler for applications running on IA-32, version 17.0.1 Package ID: w_comp_lib_2017.1.143

As LATEST and 

Intel(R) Visual Fortran Intel(R) 64 Compiler for applications running on IA-32, version 17.0.2 Package ID: w_comp_lib_2017.2.187

As another compiler installed. A bigger problem is if I do a clean build of a may project with ANY compiler 17 -U0/1/2 and 16 U3 in every case it compiles about 20 files and on the same file in each case I get an ICE with code that is unchanged and was OK. I can only assume this is because some stuff in VS2013 is now messed up and I have incompatable things trying to work together. Will try to uninstall ALL compiler  and then add 17 U2 see what happens.

0 Kudos
4 Replies
andrew_4619
Honored Contributor I

Update. Uninstalled *all* Fortran compilers ( 4 times = takes a long time) in oldest first order. I then did a registry clean that removed some residual rubbish. I then installed 17 update 2. It is interesting to note that it told me I had 2016 integrations installed in VS and it would upgrade them! Anyway I ended with a working installation other than my code still fails because of ICEs which I have now worked around - See my other active thread.

I will also add - where is the bug fix list? What benefits do I get from this painful update? Personally if you go to the trouble of fixing bugs the extra effort to add a paragraph of description and a reference to a DPD number surely is not too hard?

Kevin_D_Intel
Employee

It does sound like the compilations post-install were using the Update 2 compiler given the ICEs despite your findings under the Options settings. It might have been further discernable from the build log without suppressing the startup banner.

I haven't experienced this on any system that I have installed on yet so mine lack the needed preconditions to cause it. I don't know whether we might be able to learn anything from installation logs but if you want to provide those then I can submit them to Development. You'll likely already know those are in the %TEMP% directory under a folder with a name starting with pset_ and ending with your username. If you can zip up the folders for install attempts corresponding to the first Update 2 installation and send those then I will forward them on.

We see/hear everyone's comments regarding the fixes list and those are shared w/management. It is time consuming properly removing sensitive customer and/or Intel information from internal tracking reports while creating meaningful short-descriptions, and this is not possible at this time. These may return in the future - perhaps in a different form. If there are specific ids of interest, then please inquire about those and we can provide updates.

andrew_4619
Honored Contributor I

I have attached (maybe as it goes wrong sometimes) the build logs. There is more than one entry I guess as I installed uninstalled and installed .

andrew_4619
Honored Contributor I

It does sound like the compilations post-install were using the Update 2 compiler given the ICEs despite your findings under the Options settings.

Yes it was my conclusion that the compiler selection was messed up so it is entirely possible that whatever I selected I got the 17 u2, I didn't actually check the version in the builds.