Intel® Fortran Compiler
Build applications that can scale for the future with optimized code designed for Intel® Xeon® and compatible processors.

debugger freezing Visual Studio

joerg_kuthe
Novice

Dear Fortran Friends!

For a couple of years I am experiencing the same problem with the debugger in Developer Studio (Digital/Compaq Visual Studio) and Visual Studio 2003 and 2005 (Intel Visual Fortran v8, v9):

When stepping through a Fortran app in the debugger, sometimes VS "hangs" and the task manager shows me that VSis consuming almost 100% of CPU time, but VS doesn't respond anymore to my actions. Sometimes VS reports an error that it cannot return from an "internal operation".
I had a customer who told me that he experienced the same and that he could step further in his app after waiting for more than 10 minutes. I never had that much patience. So I always killed VS and started anew.

However today,within the last hour I had to kill and re-start VS more than 10 times, and now I am fed up.

Does anyone has some help for me (I am still using VS2005 w/SP1 and IVF 9.1.3375.2005)?

Does the problem still exist with IVF v10.0 or IVF v10.1?

Does it help to change to VS2008?

By the way, a couple of customers are reportingthe same VS/debug behaviour, I wonder whether this has ever been discussed here.

Jrg Kuthe
www.qtsoftware.de

0 Kudos
45 Replies
joerg_kuthe
Novice

Just an update on this.

Now I am working on Windows 7 (64-Bit, Ultimate) for almost a year now. At most I use VS2008 & IVF 11.1.070 [IA-32] and sometimes VS2010 & IVF 12.1.1.258 [IA-32], rarely the 64-Bit variants.
The problems with the debugger are gone and I must confess the IDE or the debugger very rarely crash.
Since some of the problems I encountered on my previous development systems seemed to relate to some Microsoft Office stuff (ctfmon), I did not install any of the MS office tools (I am using OpenOffice).
So, working with this dev. system is very pleasant now.

Kind regards,

Joerg Kuthe
www.qtsoftware.com

0 Kudos
Vinod
Beginner

I have a strange problem. I am using Intel(R) Visual Fortran Composer XE 2011 Update 8 (12.1.3520.201)  with Microsoft Visual Studio 2010.

when I click on 'start without debugging (ctrl+F5)' it is good and it runs without any error and gives results as expected. But when I 'start debugging (F5)', it freezes VS for some minutes and then resumes back. I dont know why this is happening. I am using win7 professional english.

It started very recently, even I didnot change anything in the code. I even have restarted the system. Still the proplem persists. 

Any help would be highly appreciated.

Thank in advance.

Regards,

Vinod 

0 Kudos
Steven_L_Intel1
Employee

Vinod, I am not aware of this as a general issue. It would be a useful experiment to reboot your PC into "Safe Mode" (press F8 during the initial Windows boot screen) and see if the problem is still there.

0 Kudos
IanH
Honored Contributor II

I have seen this sort of symptom [it was a while back now] when the debugger goes looking for symbols for a DLL (which might be a third party DLL all but completely unrelated to the application being debugged) in "strange" network places (for example - network addresses that might be valid for the developer of the third party DLL, but are completely irrelevant for everyone else on the planet).  Perhaps this is completely off the mark, but to see if it might be relevant, watch the messages that appear in the Output window as the debugger is loading the process.  You can also inspect the symbol status for each module (DLL or EXE) being debugged using the modules window (once the debugger is up and running), and control symbol loading properties for each module.

0 Kudos